Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get some tow hooks on the front of my TB asap. I was trying to find out if the factory ones were enough or if I need to be purchasing some others. What do you guys use and have any of you had the factory ones fail.

By the way, if someone has a set of factory ones, I would gladdly purchase them, so at least i have something up there.

Thanks

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
728 Posts
the front tow hooks are good, they have worked for me many times, winching out of sand and mud hole, off unlevel mounds, and the TB weigh in about 5600lbs i belive... if you want a beefier - cooler looking ones, check with Alek, or purchase the hummer H3 ones, jusst need a frame point to mount them for strength or you can go to pepboys, and in the towing section they have a few there ....

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,636 Posts
The front hooks are pretty good, but I don't like the open-ended design. They work well, but the open hook can allow a strap to easily fall away if the strap slacks up.

However, it's really the best option for the front without getting a new front bumper. I'll have a couple for sale in a month or so if you're still in the market.

For the rear, I'll recommend getting a receiver shackle bracket:

Oh... and for a front pull, I use a static strap to connect the two hooks... just in an attempt to lower the stress a bit:

(old picture)

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
I have definitely heard of factory ones failing under hard stress. Open like that, they bend more open and can crack at the mounting bolts. If I had to pull on a trailvoy that was seriously stuck, I'd use chain hooks into openings in the frame behind the front control arms, then use a recovery strap next in line to absorb shock. Not the little front hooks. They're mockable toys, just like the factory skid plates. Don't bet your life on them.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Definitely getting the rear shackle soon. Been keeping an eye out for one for a little while, guess I will just buy a new one.

I am hoping to get a custom front bumper in a year or so, so I think the factory hooks will do for awhile. I already have a static strap to use, so covered there.

James I will send you a PM on your hooks.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
60 Posts
i ripped the inner most bolt clean through the metal one afternoon when i got stuck on a hunting trail. I just got the Ken Mtn bumper so no more worries from that end.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,401 Posts
i ripped the inner most bolt clean through the metal one afternoon when i got stuck on a hunting trail. I just got the Ken Mtn bumper so no more worries from that end.
And you didn't let us Atlanta guys know you were going to be in town? Shame on you. :nono:

I've had to be pulled out by my control arms before. It worked but I was cringing at the thought of something breaking.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts