Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2004 buick rainier
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, here's the lowdown. In-laws just bought an '03 TB EXT 4WD with the 5.3 and 3.42. Owners manual says you can haul 7000lbs. MIL called dealer to double check who said 5500lbs. Another dealer says no more than 4800lbs. I've just checked the net and found that if I go to 5 different sites with '03 specs that I can probably get 4 different numbers. Also keep in mind they have never towed anything but want to get a 23ft TT with a dry weight of 4500lbs. The In laws figured with the EXT and V8 they's be able to tow way more than mine:duh:

I guess the secret to looking for your tow capacity is to keep going to websites till you find a weight you like:laugh:

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
Ya want to know my opinion of the tow specs for these trucks (maybe you don't).

I think they will tow (if config'ed the same) anything that the Tahoe will tow.

But.......... GM does not want you to do that, people would not buy the Tahoe for towing........... so the Trailblazer is spec'ed lower than the comparable Tahoe.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,203 Posts
First off, they can tow that boat with an EXT that has the 5.3L V8. Officially the 7000lb tow capacity is for the 2WD model, since they have a 4x4 and the taller 3.42 gears, their limit should be 6500lbs. From that maximum, you subtract the payload amount or the weight of equipment and passengers inside the vehicle. So if you have the vehicle maxed at 1393 lbs, you would subtract that from the 6500 and that's how much you can tow, when the vehicle is fully loaded. (6500 - 1393 = 5107 lbs, with a fully load of stuff in the truck). If its just 3 guys and some gear, for a total of maybe 800 lbs, then the max trailer weight would be 5700lbs as loaded.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
37 Posts
Your owners manual will tell you what your towing capacity and GCWR (Gros Conbination weight Rating)are. For the 2006 TB with 5.3 liter engine 4x4 and 3.42 is 6,000 libs.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,614 Posts
i have the i6 and towed more than that, it's all about your comfort level and how much you know about towing and your ride!

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
:iagree:
First off, they can tow that boat with an EXT that has the 5.3L V8. Officially the 7000lb tow capacity is for the 2WD model, since they have a 4x4 and the taller 3.42 gears, their limit should be 6500lbs. From that maximum, you subtract the payload amount or the weight of equipment and passengers inside the vehicle. So if you have the vehicle maxed at 1393 lbs, you would subtract that from the 6500 and that's how much you can tow, when the vehicle is fully loaded. (6500 - 1393 = 5107 lbs, with a fully load of stuff in the truck). If its just 3 guys and some gear, for a total of maybe 800 lbs, then the max trailer weight would be 5700lbs as loaded.

Hope this helps

1 - 6 of 6 Posts