Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
33 Posts
YES, ive pulled ALOT more than that before, long as there isnt alot of tounge weight i wouldnt worry much, just be careful with the brakes!

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,700 Posts
YES, ive pulled ALOT more than that before, long as there isnt alot of tounge weight i wouldnt worry much, just be careful with the brakes!
To have a stable trailer, you need to have ~10% tongue weight... Otherwise, it'll wag the dog, so to speak...

Mike

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
33 Posts
To have a stable trailer, you need to have ~10% tongue weight... Otherwise, it'll wag the dog, so to speak...

Mike
Correct, but when you have a 40' air seeder behind you, 10% is alot of weight, in fact ive pulled stuff with this thing on the stops before. 4low is a wonderful thing

·
3,700 Posts
Correct, but when you have a 40' air seeder behind you, 10% is alot of weight, in fact ive pulled stuff with this thing on the stops before. 4low is a wonderful thing
2-Low is even better... Unplug the front axle actuator, so it doesn't lock the front end in, so you don't break your T-case or a front diff or axle, from pulling a lot of weight on dry pavement, with the thing in 4WD...

Mike

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_sle
35 Posts
Pulling it is the easy part. Controlling it is another. The short wheelbase doesn't bode well for heavy loads. I frequently tow a 19' bass boat. It has tandem axles and hydraulic surge brakes. Those two things make it easier to tow. If you are going to be towing on hilly or curved roads I would think twice. JMO
FWIW, I did tow a trailer with over 10k lbs once. It was mostly interstate driving and I fried the transmission doing it. There was a crosswind that puckered my hemorrhoids a couple of times. I wouldn't do it again.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
33 Posts
there was probably around 3000lbs of tounge weight, dropped it right to the stops but i knew it would handle it, the tires are all i was worried about

·
3,700 Posts
there was probably around 3000lbs of tounge weight, dropped it right to the stops but i knew it would handle it, the tires are all i was worried about
You might check out what happened to Roadie, with all the extra weight he carries around (1200#), and how he bent his rear axle tube, which caused his carrier to grenade on him... You both came with the puny 8.0 SWB I6 axle... (the SWB V8, and all of the EXT models have the 8.6 axle that the 1/2 ton trucks have (except shorter, and set up for different mounting))

Mike

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
towing capabilities

Thanks for the input all! I would be pulling a 24ft Crownline. Tandem trailer with surge brakes. Boat @ 5K and I guess the boat trailer @ 1500lbs. The truck does have heavy duty tow capacity and I do have the 373 but I thought I had 410 gears. How can I tell?
Thanks.!:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
RPO decoder list

:confused:The super secret decoder list doesn't list all the codes on my code list inside the glove box. It's missing about 1/2 doz codes. How do I find out what those codes mean? It's a 2002 TB LT.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Post 'em up. If we don't already know the answer we'll Google it for ya. ;)

But as wooluf said, they're probably suspension build codes or something similar of use only for the production line scheduling computer at GM.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
31 Posts
I pulled a 86 chevy short wide on a flat car hauller!!!!!!! Bad Bad mistake! i made it the first two miles fine but then i was going down hill and a wind gust up to 30 hit me from the left rear!!!! i stopped the swayong once had it under controll for about a second then all hell broke loose and ended up sideways in the middle of the road with the truck and trailer on its side holdin the rear of my truck in the air with one chain! i got lucky that the trailer broke loose and only one chain broke!!! but other than that i can pull just about what ever i want with it! i haul my 19' bass boat with it all the time and never have had a problem untill i had a new removable tounge put on the trailer now it has a tendency to buck my truck but i think the boat was moved back just a tad causing that! :eek:fftopic:

·
Registered
2007 buick rainier
661 Posts
I wouldn't pull that much with the short wheel base and I have a 5.3 and 3:73's. I pull a few year old 19 foot Chaparral dry weight of 2900 plus a single axel, heavy duty shorelandr roller trailer, plus 33 gallons of gas plus gear. Chaparrals are about the heaviest bowrider in the industry...at least mine small version is so they can be a chore to tow. I would guess it all weighs in around 4k but really don't know how much the trailer really weighs. Low speed likely not an issue but the short wheel base doesn't handle the trailer as well as my long wheel base vehicle does at highway speeds. I can't imagine adding 2500lbs to the weight and feeling very safe. I have had one almost catostrophic incident where an old guy towing a trailer of hay pulled out in front of me while towing my boat (as though he didn't see my huge rig) with only a fraction of a second to spare and with an extra 2500lbs I don't think the outcome would have been positive.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts