Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
chevy
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a general question and anyone with knowledge can chime in at any time. Anyway, I was in an accident and the other party has claimed liability. My vehicle has not been in the shop yet and I want to know how the insurance company or adjuster determines if the vehicle is repairable or totals it? If the vehicle is totaled, what does the cost of repair need to be percentage wise to the value of the vehicle? By the way, I'm in Minnesota if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
3,250 Posts
I don't know if it's the same where you are, but here in NY, if the vehicle damages cost more than 60% of the vehicle value, most of the time, the insurance co. will consider it totaled.

·
Registered
chevy
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
check with insurance

hmmm...I would check, but don't want them to be suspicious of any foul play since the vehicle is still in my possession and hasn't been looked at by them yet.:D

·
Registered
2006 chevy
113 Posts
i think its 70 precent of the value ,sometimes if its a little over and you tell them you dont want it to total,they can try and save it from being totaled

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
i think its 70 precent of the value ,sometimes if its a little over and you tell them you dont want it to total,they can try and save it from being totaled
Yes, you can, but you will end up w/ all Chinese made replacement parts. Trust me, I know a little about this, as one of my best friends has owned a body shop for about 30 years.

The only way to get OEM GM parts on a "totaled" vehicle is to pay the body shop the $ difference between OEM & aftermarket parts out of your own pocket.

And BTW, if it's that bad, WHY would you want it back? it's not like it's a classic or antique car.

The other question is, why are you not letting the insurance company look at it? You already said it was the other persons fault......their insurance company has to pay.

·
Registered
chevy
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's not that I'm not letting the insurance company look at it. Come as they please. Since their insurer is at fault, they are moving their feet in mud and not in a hurry to do anything. (Is my guess). As a matter of fact, the agent is claiming that they don't owe me a rental until the shop actually works on the vehicle! Is this B.S. or does he have a case?:eek:fftopic:

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
That's BS.....you've had no vehicle to drive since the accident, which was his client's fault.....what does he want you to do....hitchhike?

You should be contacting YOUR OWN insurance company and tell them you need a rental vehicle until this is resolved....they pay for it, and get reimbursed by the other company, or at least that's how it goes here in NY.

·
Registered
chevy
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I contemplated that idea. I don't think I have rental on my policy though. Also if there was any truth to what this jerk was saying(doubtful) about their policy on rentals, then my insurance company would not be reimbursed for the days my car sat at the body shop. I contacted my attorney, but with the million accidents this time of year, a simple question takes a day to answer.:hissy:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts