Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a starter for those who are not whackers/buffs like I am, and do not cruise the Emergency Equipment section of the forums, here is the link the the thread which I didn't want to completely hijack, so I figured I would ask the general populous for their input.
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=83273
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=53576

Initially, I planned to install a 7" Touchscreen in the factory Double DIN slot, and tie it in with an in car computer (CarPC), but then I got thinking how much of a headache it would be trying to tie into the factory sound system, blah blah blah etc...

I then considered this Havis console, and want to mount my 7" Touchscreen in it, as well as possibly my CDM1550.

My initial intent was to keep the interior as "stock" looking as possible, then I transitioned to the Havis concept, and now possibly back to the "stock appearance".

If I went the Havis route, I was looking at potential ways to mount the touchscreen, and I thought facing straight up (standard console mount) would not be completely effective, then I saw this on Havis' site:

http://www.havis.com/products/CON_ACSY_BOX_EM_IMP_06_11-35747-61.html

This is designed to be a Console Mount for the stock stereo in the Impala. I was wondering if the Impala also had a Double DIN area for the stereo as the TB, because the touchscreen I have has a bracket meant to mount in a Double DIN space:

http://www.mo-co-so.com/Double-DIN-Lilliput-669GL-70NP-C-T-7-Touch-Screen-p/mcs-lil-669-dd.htm

If I went with the Custom Fabbed Center Console, I would modify an existing one to house the touch screen, and flatten out the front area where the 2 cupholders are, to make it easier to mount my Motorola CDM Remote Head.

Thoughts? Anyone custom fabbed anything before, and could tell me how difficult (I expect it to be quite difficult) for a newbie to car modding like me! This would also allow me to retain the rear climate controls on back of the center console, however, if I installed the Havis console, cutting of the console is required, and you lose the rear HVAC. This is another big point in my wishing to have a custom console!

This is probably the ONE thing that I dislike about the TB is the center console shifter and E-Brake:hissy:. If only it was a column shifter this would make my like SO much simpler!!!!

So there it is guys, I'd love to hear some input and suggestions! :tiphat

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
All sounds very interesting. Why not just use a ram mount for a laptop? As for mounting your radios how about an overhead console?

If you want take the route of making a center console, here is a tutorial.
http://www.teamlouish.com/imports.console.html
Porkins,

Thank you for the reply. I had passing thoughts of an overhead console, but never really put too much thought into it. I guess my initial thought was that a center console could hold more items, just due to the size of it compared to an overhead console, which you wouldn't want to be too big, and restrict visibility or headroom.

On the plus side, if I DID put the touchscreen up in an overhead console, it would increase visibility for others to see if I had anything playing on it...

Guess I have some more to ponder on. The more I think about/consider ideas, the more I keep changing what I want to do haha!:bonk:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,105 Posts
What about a combination of the 2 consoles? This would be exactly what I would do, it if wasn't for that pesky sunroof I have.

I'm not sure how much equipment you have to mount, but the overhead console would be perfect for your 7" screen and a radio/scanner. If you have more equipment, you could simply modify your existing center console, leaving the gear shift/e-brake and rear HVAC controls intact but trimming the storage area under the armrest to fit your desired equipment.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What about a combination of the 2 consoles? This would be exactly what I would do, it if wasn't for that pesky sunroof I have.

I'm not sure how much equipment you have to mount, but the overhead console would be perfect for your 7" screen and a radio/scanner. If you have more equipment, you could simply modify your existing center console, leaving the gear shift/e-brake and rear HVAC controls intact but trimming the storage area under the armrest to fit your desired equipment.
Not necessarily a bad idea. Now thinking along the lines of an overhead console, maybe making a custom one so that the screen could flip down and possibly pivot.

Although not necessarily a bad place for my mobile as well, I think I still might prefer under the dash where the cupholders and small storage area are is still a pick for me.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Not necessarily a bad idea. Now thinking along the lines of an overhead console, maybe making a custom one so that the screen could flip down and possibly pivot
A great idea for this would be how the rear entertainment system that is available for our trucks is set up. If you could find one for cheap money out of a wrecked TB, you could possibly modify that to fit your 7" screen. The only thing left to do at that point would be figure out how to make it pivot.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A great idea for this would be how the rear entertainment system that is available for our trucks is set up. If you could find one for cheap money out of a wrecked TB, you could possibly modify that to fit your 7" screen. The only thing left to do at that point would be figure out how to make it pivot.
I like that idea. What is the size of the standard rear entertainment screens? Even if it didn't pivot I wouldn't lose sleep over it, just an additional idea.

I stopped by a junkyard the other day looking for parts to "experiment" on for some of the installs I am planning, and some of the standard parts they wanted almost as much as it would cost to get a new one!

eBay Single TB Tail Light - $38 + Free Shipping

Junkyard - $50 per Light

So this would require me to do some frugal shopping. Really surprised me when he said that much, so I promptly thanked him and walked out!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I do believe that the standard size for the screens is 7", but I'm not 100% positive on that.

Junkyards can be tough, I know the place near me is pretty good. Buick wanted $265 for a taillight on my old 1990 Buick LeSabre, the junkyard sold me one for $45. So it all depends on the guys working there.

Look around on Craigslist, too, in the Auto Parts section. I have seen a few Trailblazers/Envoys that were being parted out by junkyards after they were crashed. You might just find what your are looking for. You could even look into a different vehicle with rear entertainment, the mechanism is the same, and that's all you're looking for

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do believe that the standard size for the screens is 7", but I'm not 100% positive on that.

Junkyards can be tough, I know the place near me is pretty good. Buick wanted $265 for a taillight on my old 1990 Buick LeSabre, the junkyard sold me one for $45. So it all depends on the guys working there.

Look around on Craigslist, too, in the Auto Parts section. I have seen a few Trailblazers/Envoys that were being parted out by junkyards after they were crashed. You might just find what your are looking for. You could even look into a different vehicle with rear entertainment, the mechanism is the same, and that's all you're looking for
Definitely worth looking into, thanks for the ideas man!! Just trying to figure whether an aftermarket, used OEM, etc... is the best for cost. I have been checking my local Craigslist for a while for for any parts for a TB, but nothing worthwhile in my area. Some stuff (like grille guards) down in NYC, the prices are halfway decent, but I don't feel like driving down to/through NYC unless it's really a STEAL of a deal.

If anyone notices anything of the sort around them, kindly let me know, thanks!!!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
So, I have been doing some research on the overhead console thing, and am highly considering one of the overhead entertainment consoles. My only question, I am assuming that this item is designed to be mounted to the "middle" of the vehicle, so that the TV is visible to rear-seat passengers only, correct? If that is the case, how well woul dit be if I wanted to "push it forward" so that the screen mounts up by the rearview mirror? I know there is a bit of a 'hump' up front on my ceiling, and didn't know if that would interfere with the front of the unit in mounting.

Even just a housing would work fine for me if it would fit. I don't need the electronics because I would just be stripping them out anyways!!

Edit: Found a couple more on fleaBay:

2002 TB Entertainment Console - $220

'05-'09 Entertainment Console - $250

Model#: 15200952 (2004)
15233869 (2005)

Guy selling this item wants $230 and $35 shipped.

Also, came out of a 2004 TB, would it fit in an '05, if it WAS able to be pushed forward??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0452277461&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
254 Posts
I think some custom fabrication would need to be done to push it forward like you're talking about. Although what I'd recommend is pulling your headliner down and just checking out what mounting options you have available to you. May be some flexibility on positioning that we aren't aware of.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts