Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2007 chevy
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone taken the governor off the TBSS? I know it is limited to 130 electronically. I am curious how fast the LS2 will push my "brick".
-Rob

·
Registered
2004 trailblazer_lt
5,240 Posts
On paper, with the given transmission/rear axle/tire combination and the engine redline at 6500 RPM the SS would top out as follows:

First gear: 46 mph

Second gear: 87 mph

Third gear: 142 mph

Fourth gear: 202 mph

However, we know that it would never achieve max RPM in top gear due to the noticable lack of aerodynamic support. The new ZR-1 was tested on a track and achieved 200.02 mph IIRC. If the SS could pull 5500 RPM in top gear that would equate to 171 mph. Maybe downhill with a stiff tailwind.:crazy:

·
Registered
2004 trailblazer_lt
5,240 Posts
By comparison, my Corvette (with a drag coefficient of .34), will run 150 mph at just a tick over 3700 RPM. It has the same transmission ratio as the SS, but the rear end ratio is 2.73.

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
Ive heard of one member getting his 06 SS up to 154mph with just a tune (and intake IIRC).

Ive gone 132mph in my 02 and that was borderline scary, the road was a little rough and starting to bounce me a little so I backed off. My SS has been to 120 already (1400mi :duh:, no real reason to do it again anytime soon) so Ill prob just up the limiter to 150 and call it good.

Be careful, get speed rated tires, and do it at a track. This is my warning to you, but everyone knows all of that right?

·
Registered
2006 chevy
197 Posts
I went over to a dry lake bed here in SoCal and had the speedo wrapped around to where the numbers end....
I have heard of others say they have had GPS readings of 153-155 mph on top end, with NO major mods.

·
Registered
2006 chevy
24 Posts
V-Rated tires are listed as 130+ not necessarily 130 MAX though I would never do it on the stock GoodYears that would be just too scary.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
17 Posts
Speaking specifically about my '06 TBSS OE tune...The stock speed limiter is set to 130mph. When you get rid of that limiter, you will run into the rev limiter (6600rpm) in 3rd gear...when your throttle position is greater than ~60%. There is no 3-4 shift commanded at greater than ~60% throttle position. That locks you in to a top speed of about 142mph.

If you change the shift tables to allow the 3-4 wide open throttle shift, you can go faster. My '06 has a 3-4 WOT 134mph...and I've gone as high as 150mph. My '06 is mechanically stock...just tuning.

I'm guessing the aerodynamic limit will be around 160mph.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_lt
2 Posts
:thumbsup::thumbsup:Speaking specifically about my '06 TBSS OE tune...The stock speed limiter is set to 130mph. When you get rid of that limiter, you will run into the rev limiter (6600rpm) in 3rd gear...when your throttle position is greater than ~60%. There is no 3-4 shift commanded at greater than ~60% throttle position. That locks you in to a top speed of about 142mph.

If you change the shift tables to allow the 3-4 wide open throttle shift, you can go faster. My '06 has a 3-4 WOT 134mph...and I've gone as high as 150mph. My '06 is mechanically stock...just tuning.

I'm guessing the aerodynamic limit will be around 160mph.

It's refreshing to see that someone actually did their homework and came up with factual information.
You are absolutely correct with your info. Thank you!

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_1ss
59 Posts
Maybe it could do 150 but at what point would you loose stability? An SS is not exactly streamlined.

I pulled over 150 in my old 3000gt VR4 and wind was deafening because the door glass doesn't seal into a track. It seals into the weatherstripping for the roof. 150 was the fastest I've ever been. Oddly enough it was extremely stable. Felt like I could have went faster. Just ran out of road.

·
Registered
2006 chevy
86 Posts
there is no maybe abt it ! The truck still feels very safe to me at well over 140 jmo

1 - 20 of 20 Posts