Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found out (on the German autobahn - i.e. without breaking the law) that my Saab 97X has a maximum speed of 195 kmh (121 mph - both on the speedometer and the gps).

However the car then seemed to start shifting between 3rd and 4th gears and it definitely felt like the engine would happily go faster.

Does anyone know whether there is a speed limiter that would explain that behaviour ?

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,574 Posts
If it didn't want to go faster i would say there is a limiter on it. I hit 139 mph, but that was with some down hill. The 4.2 can hit around 135.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
2,461 Posts
I thought the speed limiter cuts off power until it reaches a safe operating speed, or is that the govenor :undecided

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought the speed limiter cuts off power until it reaches a safe operating speed, or is that the govenor :undecided
It probably does cut the power too, but I'm pretty sure that it shifts from 3rd to 4th gear and back.

It's rather puzzling.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it didn't want to go faster i would say there is a limiter on it. I hit 139 mph, but that was with some down hill. The 4.2 can hit around 135.
It didn't seem to make much of a difference whether I was going downhill or uphill. Not too steep a hill obviously...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How do you remove the limiter ?

I am not sure what they have in the exported models but I know that here in the states when the speed limiter is removed these trucks will hit something in the 130mph
Only a handfull of Saab 97Xs were exported to Europe. I doubt that they changed the specs just for that so my car likely has US specs. Or at least that is what the stickers lead me to believe...

Now how do you remove the limiter ?

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
You have to get a tune, and have someone take it off.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You have to get a tune, and have someone take it off.
I'm unlikely to find someone in Europe who can do that. Is there any way to do it myself, if necessary with the assistance of my kind local mechanic ?

·
Registered
2008 chevy
27 Posts
my TB cuts off a 170 kph or 105 mph!!!

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
714 Posts
I just recently hit 108, at first it I thought it was 105, but I was doing this for probebly 3 miles or so bu 108 was it. I know it had plenty left in it, but I doubt that I will have the opportunity to do that again for both safty and legality.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,708 Posts
On a nice sunny day, the road was flat and straight, mine hit 115 and was still excellerating until my wife saw the speedo.... Well that was the end of that! :x :nono::nono::nono:
Besides that my tires are only rated to 112 and a blowout at 120 or so would spoil anybodys' day.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Speed limiters are based on the speed rating of the factory tires the vehicle came with. All grades of tires have speed ratings and the auto manufacturers will set the computer to cut the fuel prior to reaching that speed. If you stay on the throttle and watch the tach it will jump up and down as much as 1000 rpm and the vehicle will "jerk" forward and back as the engine power goes up and down rather quickly.

I have never pushed my TB to that speed but that's how my Monte and every other car I have pushed to the limiter worked. I would think that down shifting to 3rd at over 100mph would be very bad for the tranny and seriously spike the engine speed/rpms.

Cars with Z-rated tires generally don't have limiters as they are rated for 255mph if memory serves.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,708 Posts
Kinda close. Z=149 mph, 240 km/h

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
846 Posts
I had my TB going 110 to pass a line of 5 cars in a short pass area.

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
Stock SWB I6 (assume 5.3s are the same) is 105-107 depending on different gear/tire combos. SS is 130 and all LWBs are 99 (like fullsize trucks).

Ive had my I6 up to 132 according to my GPS, Ive also got 3.73s vs Craig's 3.42s. So this begs the question, there is no way you can get these trucks geared the way they are up to that speed in 3rd, and you are correct. I have programmed both our trucks to shift into 4th gear, I know some of you might yell and scream that being in OD at WOT is bad for this trans but honestly I have yet to see an I6 BREAK a trans. Yes there are trans failures and we all know how the SS eats the 4L70E like candy, but I havent seen or heard of an I6 breaking the 4L60E. Plus it only happens once in a blue moon anyway, Ive had mine shift into 4th maybe 3x in the 7.5 years its been in my family.

And I wont do this again with my 02, I would like to max it out but if I do its getting my SS rims/tires that are rated for high speeds vs my Duelers which are not. Not worth it, I love life!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts