Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
First off sorry if this is the wrong category, first time posting. I love this forum and my recently bought trailblazer. It's been when taken care of, runs great but there are minor things still I'm gonna work on. My question comes down to the transmission. It has 221,000 miles on it, and I'm changing all the fluids. The transmission fluid is bright red and smells normal, not dark or burnt. The owner is a friend and he said when they get that old, it's best not to mess with it if it's not leaking and the fluid is good. It has had good maintenance though in the past. I don't know what to do. Should I leave it ? Thank you

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
593 Posts
Hey guys,
First off sorry if this is the wrong category, first time posting. I love this forum and my recently bought trailblazer. It's been when taken care of, runs great but there are minor things still I'm gonna work on. My question comes down to the transmission. It has 221,000 miles on it, and I'm changing all the fluids. The transmission fluid is bright red and smells normal, not dark or burnt. The owner is a friend and he said when they get that old, it's best not to mess with it if it's not leaking and the fluid is good. It has had good maintenance though in the past. I don't know what to do. Should I leave it ? Thank you
Change the fluid and the filter. Can't see how it would hurt it.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
75 Posts
Trans fluid change,,,

I remember hearing ,,,long ago,,when the trans gets up in miles,,,the clutch packs break apart,,,leaving friction particals in the fluid ,,,,change it out,,NO MORE FRICTION particals & the trans WONT WORK ,,,,can't understand how this could have changed over the year's,,,,,BE CARFUL !!!

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
593 Posts
I remember hearing ,,,long ago,,when the trans gets up in miles,,,the clutch packs break apart,,,leaving friction particals in the fluid ,,,,change it out,,NO MORE FRICTION particals & the trans WONT WORK ,,,,can't understand how this could have changed over the year's,,,,,BE CARFUL !!!
Back in the day it was Ford transmissions, particularly a c4 or c6 that would no longer move or work after changing the fluid because the square cut seals were hard as a rock and the new fluid was thicker than the old wore out fluid and would just blow past the seals. Modern transmissions do not use square cut seals in the trans clutch pack, they use lip seals that even hard will still function, mostly. .

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_sle
631 Posts
If you dont want to risk a dealer transmission flush. there lots of mixed info on that.so I dont blame you.

Local GM dealer swears its safe,

I had it done on my 2008 Envoy last month (free from dealer, Long story), and made my shifts a bit smoother. or at least thats what I tell myself.

then for sure drop pan and change fluid and filter. your not replacing all the fluid, but its still better than nothing.

·
Registered
2008 isuzu ascender
990 Posts
If it's clean and doesnt look dark or burnt then you should be able to do a pan drop and filter . I would not have it flushed .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts