Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Envoy and I'm wondering what kind of tires everyone uses. I tow a 4000 lb boat and need a bit more traction at the ramp. But I would also like a better rain tire. I have Michelins now and they are a bit slippery. Any suggestions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm driving a Chevy on a set of Michelin defender ltx tires, which are great for towing and work very well on dry and wet roads when it's raining.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Which Michelin do you have now? How much tread life is left on them? What kind of weather do you typically drive in? Is it your DD? Do you expect to have a winter set? There's a ton a tires made these days and a ton of variables. Michelin, Continental, Hankook, Cooper, Bridgestone and many others all make great tires these days, but they also usually have many selections that might not be so. Typically you get what you pay for and as long as you stay within the top tiers of any of them, you'll be happy.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure of the model of them, got them for a good price. I'm pretty sure they are not a LT tire. Not sure what the Envoy weighs but add my boat and I'm sure its around 9,000 lbs. They still have about 1/8 inch before the wear bars. I have been looking at Goodyear Wrangler, BFG Trail T/A and an off brand by Cooper. I am going to replace them in a couple of months and wanted to know what everyone else was using.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2004 Envoy and I'm wondering what kind of tires everyone uses. I tow a 4000 lb boat and need a bit more traction at the ramp. But I would also like a better rain tire. I have Michelins now and they are a bit slippery. Any suggestions.
I still have my 03 envoyxl 159k. Michelin crossterrain are the best. 70k miles on a set is great, I have an x5 with staggerd set and luck to get half that using other brands xl with 130in wheelbase hard to replace today

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
9 Posts
I have the Michelins LTX on my 2004 XUV. Nice and quiet, long tread life and great in the rain but worthless in snow. But since I got mine, Michelin came out with an LTX that is rated Mud and Snow so that may fix the issue.

I had Pirelli Scorpions before that and they had a more aggressive tread pattern so they were slightly better in the snow. But they didn't last very long and were noisier.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the Michelins LTX on my 2004 XUV. Nice and quiet, long tread life and great in the rain but worthless in snow. But since I got mine, Michelin came out with an LTX that is rated Mud and Snow so that may fix the issue.

I had Pirelli Scorpions before that and they had a more aggressive tread pattern so they were slightly better in the snow. But they didn't last very long and were noisier.
Yes here in Michigan and going up north , cross terrains wer

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes here in Michigan and going up north , cross terrains weren’t the best on ice but with awd it handled it if you had weight in the back. I have Goodyears on now, but don’t drive it as much, would like to go thru and update suspension etc, , I see 300k is possible. I swear by in line engines. I have 5 vehicles and all are in line 4 or 6s (bmws and gmc and sprinter rv) . Chrysler valiant slant 6 ran forever.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt
49 Posts
I have had the stock Michelin LTX, Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor and now Falken Wildpeak AT3. All 3 lasted a long time and were good in rain and snow. The wildpeaks are a great tire at a great price.

·
Registered
2005 saab 9_7x
5 Posts
rokwldr,
I've been driving on Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus 109T Tire 255/55R18 for about 3 years now. I have realized better traction than the Michelins in demanding situations. The tread appears aggressive, as these are M+S. Noise is only slightly more, but not noticeable by passengers on my 15-year old SaaBlazer. MPG (highway) is the same as with Michelins. Off-road, rain and a little snow (<4") seem better now than on the factory Michelins. Towing is same. Those Michelins sure do get slicker once they get a few years on them! The Coopers haven't gotten slicker yet, like the Michelins did.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like that. I've had about four sets of Michelins between two vehicles and they always get slick with about 20,000 to go. The worst tires I had were Uniroyal Laredo on my Canyon truck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts