Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a lift kit on the way, so i decided to check things out to day, i turned the wheel to look at the front suspenion and noticed that the tires were worn more on the insides. about and inch and a half - two inches. i was wondering if anyone could pin point the root of the problem. also when i went to the other side i noticed that the strut/shock had a crack right down the middle, but i havnt noticed it driving any different.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
The root of your problem is that you haven't had an alignment done in long enough or haven't been inspecting the tires when you rotated them to notice that the camber was horribly off. When was the last rotation or alignment?

Pretty sure our lifts make camber worse in that direction - to wear the tires on the inside. So if you're not swapping tires out, you should probably get them remounted the other way out to even out the wear.

And get it realigned after the lift if you didn't have it done already. There isn't a lot of adjustment range for camber, and a lot of shops just do the easiest adjustment (toe-in) and lie to you and call that an alignment.

On the other issue - if the shock was cracked, and had no pressure, and wasn't doing its job, I'd recommend after you get them changed out - that you memorize how nicely the vehicle drives, and if it ever deteriorates - start suspecting something's going bad. Does that corner currently fail the traditional shock bounce test? (Google for it)

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the envoy has gone about 10,000 since last alignment. when i bought it the dealer said that they did it. the tires are pretty much worn out and i am getting new ones. i just happened to notice the extra wear on the inside. just wanted to make sure that it was just something like the alignment and not something that is going to wear at the new tires. because when everything is together i do plan on getting an alignment.

and the shocks, it passes the bounce test fine but i am going to replace them but don't understand how they are still functioning properly the crack is about 4" long.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
294 Posts
You cant trust a salesman at a dealership. Right before i bought my TB it had the check engine light on and the salesman said the light was from the oil being changed, but im not stupid so I took it to my best friends work and we ran the code and it was evap leak. i took it back and said fix it, they kept it over night and the next day i went to pick it up and they told me it was a faulty gas cap, a week later light came back on and I took it back and said if it doesnt get fixed right and you guys keep reseting the light i want my money back. Its all good now.

I bet it is the alignment.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,203 Posts
Lifting *should* add positive camber and have the wheel tilting outward near the top, taking pressure off the inner edge and wearing the outer edge. (Lowering tilts the front wheels inward, adding negative camber and wearing the inner edge). When you install the lift kit, have it aligned or you'll most likely wear out the new tires very quickly. Word of advice from experience, ask for a print-out when they align it, many times shops basically give you a 'Toe' alignment and don't bother to really try to get the camber/caster to preferred settings.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
117 Posts
i had the same problem with mine but i have mine lowered with the ground force kit...i get an aligment checked every couple of months now..so far so good

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tire wear just on the inner edge

I have a 2002 trailblazer and I have inner edge wear on my front tires and when i bought it. I was told that the bushings need to be replaced. Also tha I might need an aliment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts