Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Just figured i'd post one about tire shine and what it has been doing to my vehicle.

Typically, i dress up the 22's tires with BLACK MAGIC TIRE WET and i have been noticing that the "spin off" of the tire shine has been leaving these little "rusty" looking dots all over my white paint. Is anyone else having issues like this?

I am 95% sure its the tire shine and not road/car related... The only way i have been able to get it off, is by clay barring my vehicle..(which is really time consuming)..

I did my rear lift gate last summer, and already this year, its all "spotted" up in the back...makes it look almost like my paint/body is pitting/rusting...

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2007 chevy
299 Posts
I have similar spots on mine as well. But it is road/tar spots. How do you know for sure it is the tire shine doing the damage?

Pics?

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
201 Posts
Welcome to the world of White vehicles. My TB has the same thing, as does my parents white TB. Not likely the tire shine causing it. Not sure what causes them. I am not looking forward to battling them.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
there we go... heres some pics of it...

i was really thinking it was "spin-off" from the tire shine, just cause they are little dots, yet when they dry, washing doesnt take them off..

a nice hard buffing or clay bar-ing does the trick..just a pain!

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
432 Posts
dont get me wrong... they are "tar"ish dots...

that last pic is less than 1 year after claybar-ing the back hatch..

Ugh!!

any ideas would be greatly appreciated...
Well I know that type of tire shine isn't the best you can use but the spin off from tire shine is typically black. And the fact that it is all over your back hatch even in the grooves makes me think its something else.

The tire shine spin off usually throws sticky tire dust up right behind the tires. It doesn't usually coat the entire car or anything. Very strange.

If I were you, I would switch to a better tire shine though. I have Meguiar's high endurance gloss and it really soaks into the tire. You will see water bead off your tires for weeks.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well, look what happens when you go through a small wet spot on the road... our back hatches are like glue for anything....

and when you do 60-80mph, that tire shine loves to try to spin off..where is it going to go? its ganna follow the airstream..

Yea, these speckles are all over.. not above the tire wells, but right behind..the whole way to the back..

i used to use mequires high endurance (smells like grapes)... since it was more of a gel than a liquid...

i recently have been using black magic cus it was on sale lol...

i was thinking of doing a test, clay bar the whole car again and not use any tire shine...

but when you got wheels, you like the tires to be nice and glossy, if you know what i mean...

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
432 Posts
Well, look what happens when you go through a small wet spot on the road... our back hatches are like glue for anything....

and when you do 60-80mph, that tire shine loves to try to spin off..where is it going to go? its ganna follow the airstream..

Yea, these speckles are all over.. not above the tire wells, but right behind..the whole way to the back..

i used to use mequires high endurance (smells like grapes)... since it was more of a gel than a liquid...

i recently have been using black magic cus it was on sale lol...

i was thinking of doing a test, clay bar the whole car again and not use any tire shine...

but when you got wheels, you like the tires to be nice and glossy, if you know what i mean...
You're right. That stuff smells delicious; it even looks like grape juice, haha.

I would suggest leaving the tires bare or trying a different shine to see if it continues. If it does, then you know it's from the road or from trees rather than the tire shine.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
659 Posts
as an auto detailer i deal with this all the time. Clay bar is the best for removal although some detail shops have a chemical to help remove.

According to my detail supplier the specs are from your brakes, tiny little specs of metal that kinda melt themselves onto your paint. Feel the back hatch on any color, you will feel them but they arent as visible.

Your best bet with a white vehicle is WAX WAX WAX. if you have wax on your paint they will come off sooo much easier.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,749 Posts
I have the same thing, but only on the top off the hood & the roof....I really doubt it's brake specs by the roof rack..Gotta try the clay bar deal..:undecided

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i would have never thought brakes would of been the culprit...

i assumed it was my tire shine since after i apply, and roll down the road...the specs that fly off are the same shape and size of what the "rusty" marks are... instead of rust, i should say orange bumps...

·
Premium Member
9,559 Posts
I believe the common term for these nasty little orange pock marks is "Rail Dust"

It is called rail dust because if a vehicle is getting hauled on a rail car from the plant it picks up all sorts of hot metal shavings that stick to the surface of the paint. Metallic brake pads do exactly the same thing. The small pieces of dust then rust onto the surface of the paint. Clay bar is the best thing to use. I clayed my truck before I left IL. and since I moved to Cali. almost 2 yrs ago I have not had any issues, but then again the rain and humidity are not as high in order for it to rust. I believe that all colors get rail dust but the white trucks show it off the best.

·
Banned
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
698 Posts
:iagree:
Exactly. Had this problem ever since getting the wife a white car.

·
Registered
2007 chevy
299 Posts
* Sir Golitech... your first post mentioned that you had the problem, then you later one said you dont have the problem..

i assume you were reffering to the tire shine issue?
Yes. I did not use tire shine for months when I first got my TB, and I had these spots then.

·
Banned
2005 gmc envoy_sle
3,253 Posts
Feel the back hatch on any color, you will feel them but they arent as visible.
it must be a trailblazer problem then,my voy is smooth as glass at the liftgate area as are 3 others i checked today.....are the rears of the trailblazers/envoys that much different to have such a huge effect?...your saying all trailblazers have this issue but i have yet to see a envoy with it(one i checked today was a white 04)....wierd!:undecided

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,044 Posts
Any chance it's pollen? That stuff here in the NE is really sticky...:m2:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
201 Posts
it must be a trailblazer problem then,my voy is smooth as glass at the liftgate area as are 3 others i checked today.....are the rears of the trailblazers/envoys that much different to have such a huge effect?...your saying all trailblazers have this issue but i have yet to see a envoy with it(one i checked today was a white 04)....wierd!:undecided
My Dad's 91 Z28 had them too. GM paint must suck?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts