Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,614 Posts
This is to give everybody an idea of how different offroad tires are rated, its small right now but i'll update it whenever somebody chimes in. The ratings were taken off a couple websites that i looked at because i realized i couldn't find a place where they compare the ratings of the capabilities of different offroad tires, and i wanted to know. Again, if you want me to add your tires to this chart or are interested in seeing how a specific set of tires stacks up, let me know and i'll add them in.

Trying to edit the right chart in here, but it's giving me an error..... still figuring out my new superpowers.... Bill

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just a quick question for anyone.... how do i update the first post on a thread?

yes i've added another tire to the list because a member asked about it, please tell me what you have or want and i'll add them

·
Registered
2004 non_gmt360 other
609 Posts
just a quick question for anyone.... how do i update the first post on a thread?

yes i've added another tire to the list because a member asked about it, please tell me what you have or want and i'll add them
Could you quote yourself from the first one then just change/add anything you need to ?
Or do you only wan't to keep modifying the first one ?

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i've heard they perform well offroad, but aren't a very high quality tire... i mean they are warenteed for quite a bit of time... but i think the jury is still out on whether they are truely good tires, nobody wants a blowout!

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
694 Posts
Due to the siping, they'd probably have better wet traction. And they appear to have holes for ice studs.

So is that a thumbs up or thumbs down from the great James Downing? (joking, but I would like to hear what you think):yes:

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,636 Posts
I'm not going to recommend anything I haven't tried. Tom brings up a good point. Read reviews on the build quality. Some of the biggest potential issues would be poor rubber grades (which would induce sidewall cracking, etc.), or poor quality control on the belts (which can break and misshape the tire or throw it out of balance).

I don't know enough about them to like or dislike them, but I'd be very cautious buying a bargain brand.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
if you want cheap tires, there is a guy selling on ebay the bfg m/t's as 32' for a 17' wheel for 320...basically an amazign deal, and 2 of our members can attest to their legitness. there is always a good deal on tires, you just have to look around, and its not always on the internet... i've heard that those tires (definity m/t's) perform very well offroad but i have not heard how they are long term... if your rig is stricky offroad like some jeeps then i might go for a tire like that, but when your on the freeway and hitting high speeds like 85-100 (not suggesting it since its not legal) and you hit a small stone on the road with the outside edge of the tread, you want to know that the tire isn't gonna shred its self and cause big problems...

sorry but i've known people that have blown tires and walked away but left their rig behind, i've also seen brand new expensive tires continuously blow out the side walls...

bottom line, buy a tire that you know is made with quality... cause isn't it worth peace of mind?

·
Registered
2004 non_gmt360 other
609 Posts
Made My choice and ordered a new set of rubber today. Can't wait to see if they clear the upper balljoint.

Gonna break em' in at the Wharton offroad meet may 16th. I'll give my rating after that.

When I get em' mounted, will put up pix in the 'offroad tire/suspension pic/spec' thread (say that 5 times fast)

Here's a teaser pic. . .

Attachments

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i know that tread... anybody else?

·
Registered
2004 non_gmt360 other
609 Posts
Let's just say that I do a GOOD bit of highway commuting for work.
With my terrible fuel economy and heavy right foot, an M/T was out of my scope of realistic tires.

I just filled up my tank today and averaged just under 14mpg last tank. :sadcry:.

I've read equally good and bad reviews of this tire but it had a good road test write-up in Four Wheeler Magazine and i've had great luck with owning another set of tires by this brand before.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well write a review after some road time with them to let us all know how you really like them?

·
Registered
2004 non_gmt360 other
609 Posts
Definetly will. Don't think I have seen anyone running them on this site. Went with the Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10 245/75-16.

The size is one inch above stock and about the same width so I hope to clear the ball joint. If not, I have a few ideas to remedy that.

I'll have them mounted as soon as they come in so I can break in the tread a little. Recently got a new bridgestone Battalax front tire on my wifes sport bike. It was real slippery for about the first hundred miles or so till that new tire smell wore off.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
269 Posts
Recently got a new bridgestone Battalax front tire on my wifes sport bike. It was real slippery for about the first hundred miles or so till that new tire smell wore off.
not really a fan of the ax... but you do have the matching ax in the back right? :worried:

·
Registered
2004 non_gmt360 other
609 Posts
Yes. Matching. The rear has good meat left too. The front was starting to cup and inspection was coming up. . .

Same tires (newer tread style) came stock on my Yamaha FZ6. I have bout' 6500 miles on it and the tires still look really good. I'm happy with the newer style battalax. Road tested at 130mph. Smooth.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts