Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Time to swap the rear brakes

2K views 43 replies 7 participants last post by  2002 TB LS 
I did my fronts/rears a few months ago and have been really happy with Akebono ceramic pads and Centric rotors. Be careful not to damage/pull out the e-brake shoe.
When did GM put electronic brakes on these vehicles? I don't have electronic parking brakes on my 2005 TB-EXT..... just wondering.

Hey --- do you mean PARKING brakes? There's a B-I-G difference..... and these rear internally expanding band brakes are certainly NOT "emergency" brakes.

• Haha
Reactions: nnorton44
Not even close --- Banana - hamburger.

If you want to play mechanic, then you can call things as you see fit, but it you want to communicate correctly with parts houses and other mechanics, you've gotta speak the language.

Words mean something even though modern education says otherwise. .

Uh huh.... but an e-brake is now an electronic parking brake.
Regardless of what you call it — it still refers to only one thing and nothing else.

I have seen you make this correction before and it’s pretty pointless. But to each his own 🤷‍♂️

There's no such thing as an emergency brake unless you drive a locomotive, a semi truck (by grenading the spring brakes) or just a few pre-1970s vehicles, and even then, in the case of the pre-1970s vehicles, there were very few that had more than semi functional parking brakes.

Apply an internal band parking brake to stop a vehicle in an emergency and you'd be better served by rolling down the windows to increase aerodynamic drag.

Emergency brakes were an advertising ploy to assuage potential buyers who didn't trust the mechanical pullrod brakes on early horseless carriages.

Are you telling me you have been assuaged? <tsk, tsk>

I found the true meaning on Urban Dictionary. There were others but we won't go there. View attachment 58274 View attachment 58274
That's your authority? A group of D.I.N.Ks* who sit around attributing old worlds to new technology that doesn't fit nor illuminate reality?
* Dual-Income, No Kids (wonks)!​
Sad!

What does the Ebonics Dictionary say!

When people tailgate me I like to pull the emergency brake, slowing down and they wound if all my brake light are burned out. Then they back off :)
Ya know ---- I - (and this is at my age) I have learned that sometimes it's fully warranted for someone needing to get around you and drive faster.
  • Suppose they are a doctor and got called to an emergency?
  • Suppose it's a mother who just got a call from her child's school that they are having convulsions and had to be sent to the hospital?
  • Suppose it's a volunteer fireman or paramedic who is responding to an accident and they are in their own vehicle because they couldn't get to the station to ride an official vehicle?
  • Suppose it's somebody driving with their parent who is suffering a stroke or bleeding from a chainsaw accident in their car and they need to get to the emergency room?
I don't think the blood-guilt responsibility of getting/staying in the way of anyone if they need to get around you and you jerk on the parking brake --- so you can teach them a lesson --- is a decent hobby.

Reactions: Schurkey
What you're fighting is rust and corrosion --- plus MAYBE someone doped the threads with Red Loctite.

I'm betting if you had a lift and the tires were off, then you'd have enough swing room to use whatever length you need to break those bolts loose.

If you're on the ground, on jackstands --- then I can see that you won't have enough room to get a good bite on those bolts.

But yeah -- ABR with a 1/2" air impact is more than enough torque for brake calipers. As a mechanic, you develop a sense of ABR for pretty much any bolt but those that actually require tightening by degrees for TTY head bolts f'rinstance.

You don't have TTY bolts on the brakes to the best of my knowledge.
You gotz rust and corrosion and no mechanical advantage.

Reactions: 2002 TB LS
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.