Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Pewter ls with automatic trans. 4x2, gray cloth interior.
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't drive on the weekend but noticed a rubber sound in the back sometime last week. Turn out it was the spare making noise likely caused by being out of rear brakes.
Automotive tire Alloy wheel Tread Rim Fluid

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

I only changed the fronts in 2020 and now I need to do the rear. Going to order the powerstops rear brakes online, not even worth going in stores as the prices sure have gone up. I don't feel safe driving this as I feel the weight applied more to the front and with my worn out struts, that's not a good feeling.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did my fronts/rears a few months ago and have been really happy with Akebono ceramic pads and Centric rotors. Be careful not to damage/pull out the e-brake shoe.
Thanks, the shoes need to be adjusted as the e brake no longer grips fully. Or could be worn out idk I haven't checked it yet lol. I appreciate the tips, never done rear brakes but is fairly similar to the front on this vehicle.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yeah mine was way overdue and the rotor was rusted on there bad no amount of hitting with a mallet would break it loose as you can see there are 2 holes that you can thread in a M10 bolt to break it free. I think I used M10x1.25x30.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
444 Posts
The rear caliper bracket bolts can be a real bugger to get out! GM uses red thread locker on them, and I had to use a propane torch for about 5 minutes on one of them before it would loosen up.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
444 Posts
Also, if you can find a breaker bar with a head that flexes past 90 degrees to the handle, that would come in handy for the top bolt. A regular breaker bar hits the fender. I have one that will flex to 45 degrees to the handle, and that extra flex gave me the clearance I needed. I think I bought it at Menards, but I can't find it on their website.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
I did my fronts/rears a few months ago and have been really happy with Akebono ceramic pads and Centric rotors. Be careful not to damage/pull out the e-brake shoe.
When did GM put electronic brakes on these vehicles? I don't have electronic parking brakes on my 2005 TB-EXT..... just wondering.

Hey --- do you mean PARKING brakes? There's a B-I-G difference..... and these rear internally expanding band brakes are certainly NOT "emergency" brakes.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Not even close --- Banana - hamburger.

If you want to play mechanic, then you can call things as you see fit, but it you want to communicate correctly with parts houses and other mechanics, you've gotta speak the language.

Words mean something even though modern education says otherwise. .

·
Registered
46 Posts
Not even close --- Banana - hamburger.

If you want to play mechanic, then you can call things as you see fit, but it you want to communicate correctly with parts houses and other mechanics, you've gotta speak the language.

Words mean something even though modern education says otherwise. .
Regardless of what you call it — it still refers to only one thing and nothing else.

I have seen you make this correction before and it’s pretty pointless. But to each his own 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tomato Tomahto :whistle:
I have to agree. I call it e brake due to the fact that's how I remember it being known as and even having a vehicle that said it.

Perhaps e brake is now know as a slang term for parking brake?

Anyways yeah that brake system is super loose and won't grab therefore needs adjustment or replace shoes.

Shoes is another term I hear some people referring tires as Shoes. I never understood that one.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
There's no such thing as an emergency brake unless you drive a locomotive, a semi truck (by grenading the spring brakes) or just a few pre-1970s vehicles, and even then, in the case of the pre-1970s vehicles, there were very few that had more than semi functional parking brakes.

Apply an internal band parking brake to stop a vehicle in an emergency and you'd be better served by rolling down the windows to increase aerodynamic drag.

Emergency brakes were an advertising ploy to assuage potential buyers who didn't trust the mechanical pullrod brakes on early horseless carriages.

Are you telling me you have been assuaged? <tsk, tsk>

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Regardless of what you call it — it still refers to only one thing and nothing else.

I have seen you make this correction before and it’s pretty pointless. But to each his own 🤷‍♂️
Agreed. Another crazy word, I guess could be a slang term is "dog bone" aka motor mounts. Even a older friend of mine asked if I knew what it was as he never heard of it either.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts