Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just about to replace the OEM shocks and struts on my 02 TrailBlazer.. .. ..what would you suggest as the best option for a daily driver?

·
Premium Member
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
481 Posts
I love my HD Bilsteins! I think there is a great sale going on with one of the Trailvoy vendors as well (shockwarehouse.com).

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
33 Posts
:iagree: I just ordered/received a set of Bilstein HD's (and front upper mounts) from Shockwarehouse. They shipped quickly and it's free (ground). As stated there's a member discount and through the end of April Bilstein has a buy 3 get 1 free promo going on. This couldn't be a better combo IMHO just click on there ad on the right sidebar,

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
63 Posts
I also have the same issue, except I'm completely clueless.

I believe I have a LT version AWD. It rides like hell and decided to finally replace the suspension. What should I replace? Do I only purchase shocks and springs, or is there more?

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
359 Posts
I also got the shockwarehouse 4 for the price of 3 deal, about $180 shipped. :thumbsup: I just replaced the stock Bilsteins with the HDs. The ride is not sloppy at all, but stiff compared to OEM. If I wanted a car-like ride I'd need to pick something else. I will also need to change some of my end-links and stabilizer bar bushings. There was some rattling before but with the stiffer ride, it is much more pronounced.

I installed the back ones in about 5-10 min each side. You don't even need to jack it up. Just unbolt the old ones and slap in the new. The fronts require a bit more effort. I used a loaner pickle fork (you could use a Pittman-arm puller,too). A good vise was sure handy too! Just dropped the spring and shock units out one at a time, compressed the spring, put in the new shock and reassembled. Fronts took me about 2 hours. It'd been a little quicker except the new upper jounce washer wouldn't go up through the hole where it gets mounted:mad: so I had to set it back in the vise and recompress the spring to reuse the old washer. Use the "search" box. You will surely find step by step info.

I also put a spacer on top to lift the front a bit. I'm very happy with the results.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I get a lot of rattling over rough roads. So I should look into end links and stabilizer bars also?

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,339 Posts
I also have the same issue, except I'm completely clueless.

What should I replace? Do I only purchase shocks and springs, or is there more?
Just the shocks. I think the only people replacing the springs are the ones that are lifting their trucks.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Oh yea, I love RockAuto!

Thanks for responding! I've been on forums for many years but not regularly. I know its annoying to see the same questions and people not using search,

sorry.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
359 Posts
Oh yea, I love RockAuto!

Thanks for responding! I've been on forums for many years but not regularly. I know its annoying to see the same questions and people not using search,

sorry.
You don't need to apologize. It doesn't matter sometimes.:crazy: You can search and read 50 different threads, start a thread specific to your question, and still get told to use the "search." :duh:

I mentioned "search" because I have recently seen some good end-link and sway bar bushing info....

I purchased bushings and both front end-links today for $90 incl. shipping through rockauto.com:thumbsup:

I love this site. I haven't been to a dealership since 1992 (that's a whole nuther story). The help I locate here at trailvoy.com only increases the possibility that I can keep this trend going.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I went to shockwarehouse.com

How do I know if I have air or coil spring suspension?

Also, below is pasted from RockAuto. Does the stabilizer bar bushing go all around 4 sides? It looks like RR means right rear. They only offered one ACDelco option.

Suspension : Stabilizer Bar Link
ACDELCO Part # 45G0252 {#89048935}
LINK KIT,FRT STAB SHF -; RIGHT HAND; 2 WHEEL DRIVE; REPAIR
LINK KIT,FRT STAB SHF -; RIGHT HAND; 4 WHEEL DRIVE; REPAIR
$34.89 $0.00 $34.89

ACDELCO Part # 45G0253 {#89048936}
LINK KIT,FRT STAB SHF -; LEFT HAND; 4 WHEEL DRIVE; REPAIR
LINK KIT,FRT STAB SHF -; LEFT HAND; 2 WHEEL DRIVE; REPAIR
$35.79 $0.00 $35.79

ACDELCO Part # 45G0255 {#89050182}
LINK KIT,RR STAB SHF -; LEFT HAND; 4 WHEEL DRIVE; REPAIR
LINK KIT,RR STAB SHF -; LEFT HAND; 2 WHEEL DRIVE; REPAIR
$46.99 $0.00 $46.99

ACDELCO Part # 45G0254 {#89048937}
LINK KIT,RR STAB SHF -; RIGHT HAND; 4 WHEEL DRIVE; REPAIR
LINK KIT,RR STAB SHF -; RIGHT HAND; 2 WHEEL DRIVE; REPAIR
$46.99 $0.00 $46.99

Suspension : Stabilizer Bar Bushing
ACDELCO Part # 45G0903 {#89048954}
BUSHING,RR STAB SHF -; TO FRAME; 2 WHEEL DRIVE
BUSHING,RR STAB SHF -; TO FRAME; 4 WHEEL DRIVE
$9.17 $0.00 $9.17

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
359 Posts
If you have air suspension then you should hear a compressor running at various times raising or leveling the back end. You can also tell by looking underneath the back end, springs or air bags?

I haven't looked into the rear end-links or bushings yet. I haven't heard much noise from the back yet. Just ordered the Moog end-links (left & right) and the sway bar/stabilizer bar bushings. Those are pretty straight forward.

My guess is that those AC Delco "kits" are are end-links AND bushings??? I'd probably call RockAuto to check and be sure.

BTW, you should fill in your profile so your vehicle is displayed...

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just went ahead and ordered everything:

4 struts from shockwarehouse
4 stabilizer bar bushings
4 stabilizer bar links - AC Delco

I have to change the driver side front hub assembly by Saturday so I figure I can afford those suspension parts now, I might as well do those too (although the RockAuto bill wasn't cheap :duh:)

:hail: www.trailvoy.com

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
359 Posts
Rockauto rocks! Order went in Monday and it was on my porch by Wednesday. Great prices, well packed, and shipped quick. What more could you ask for...:tiphat

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
140 Posts
Revelry - i cant believe you got the stock end links:crazy: The moog ones are like 10 bucks more a piece and they are so much better. Oh well live and learn i guess.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,268 Posts
I wonder if he got these AC DELCO ones...
easy to put on and off because of the nut they add...
My FRONT endlinks were replaced at about 133,000. :woohoo:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Revelry - i cant believe you got the stock end links:crazy: The moog ones are like 10 bucks more a piece and they are so much better. Oh well live and learn i guess.
I got the most expensive ones RockAuto offered, the ACDelco ones. The MOOG ones were $20 cheaper. Anway, you're 2 days late..

I'm not that concerned anyway, if the ones I got are OEM I'm happy with that. I'm not planning on doing any worse driving than I have been. Although I do drive in IL, and like Mancow said this morning, its like driving on the surface of the moon... :crackup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts