Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

121 - 131 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
93 Posts
I did my outer front tie rods a few moths ago and found it to be very easy. I would strongly recommend that if you are going to do this yourself buy the tie rods with grease fittings. They are only a couple dollars more but will last you a lot longer if you check them periodically and top them off with fresh grease especially before winter time. All you need to do us turn your wheel to one direction reach in with the grease gun connect it then pull the trigger a few times. Easy enough. It took me about an hour to do both sides and I've never done this repair before.

Count your exposed threads on your tie rods before you remove them. Remember that number and make sure both sides have the same number of exposed threads to help keep your car aligned properly. EXAMPLE: If you find you have 40 exposed threads on one side and 30 on the other then you would want to install the new ones with 35 exposed threads on both sides.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
4 Posts
please help with tire size

I have a 05 ls and want to put some new tires on it . The factory size is 245/70/16 I believe,,will 225/60r16 fit and ride without problem, anybody know. Thanks in advance....

·
Registered
4 Posts
tire help

I have a 05 ls and want to put some new tires . The factory size is 245/70/16,will 225/60r16 fit and ride without problem, anybody know. Thanks in advance....

·
Registered
4 Posts
NEED HELP with tire size

I have a 05 ls and want to put some new tires . The factory size is 245/70/16,will 225/60r16 fit and ride without problem, anybody know. Thanks in advance....

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
14 Posts
You Tube

I just watched a video on YouTube done by a 12 or 13 year old kid on how to replace an Envoy tie rod. It was excellent. Not implying that a kid can do it but he did. I THINK i JUST SEARCHED on "Envoy" and browsed. I was looking for something else. If you search on Envoy tie rod I bet you find it.

·
Registered
chevy trailblazer_ls
2 Posts
Tie rod replacement question

Just finished replacing outer tie rods on my 06 Blazer. Everything went real smoothly. Made sure to measure distance of the jam nut and number of turns to get old rods off. Took the Blazer for a test ride and everything felt alot tighter. The problem is when I got out the Blazer I noticed that both front tires were noticeably leaning inward. I realize that I still need to get an alignment, but will an alignment take care of this or do I have other probable issues. Thank's

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
20 Posts
Any suggestions will be appreciated

doing outer tie rod ends on my 2002 trailblazer.Have not had a problem as of yet with jam nut ,or steering knuckle. I am however having a problem unscrewing from inner. Its pretty tight, have used PB Blaster, some minor heat with no luck. Any suggestions would be great!!!

Thanks

:thx

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just want to be clear on my question , outer tie rod, frozen in the inner tie rod...jam nut loose as well as crown in steering knuckle. Need suggestion as to remove with destroying the thread on the inner tie rod.

Thanks all:suicide:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well, the outer tie rod was frozen in the inner tie rod. Tried Oxy\Acy didn't work, PB blaster, Impact gun and socket, pipe wrench. Needless to say brought it to mechanic. Seems that what I tried he tried also. He couldn't get it out either.The conclusion was cross threaded at factory. Had to replace outer tie rod, inner tie rod, rack and pinion boot..What a "PITA". Just a suggestion to all who DIY tie rod ends, a little anti seize goes a long way.

BBK:bonk:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
16 Posts
Thanks

:thxActually yes, there are previous threads on this issue and even a link to a video in you tube. First I want to thank to the people that post here that allowed me to do that change a few months ago (before winter came); they are very helpful (I will miss the Rodie). I would have posted what I got, but Keitho 64 did just such a wonderful job with his post that I decided not to do so and rather than that, congratulate him as well. Thanks to you :thx:thx

·
Registered
1 Posts
This site is great and thanks to all who have contribued! My two cents after replacing both sides:
If you have the factory tie rods still, chances are they are shot! Had lots of 3-9 play on the driver side (~120k miles) and once I got it off it was so sloppy, gravity would move it 360 degrees as I tilted it in my hand. My passenger side must've been replaced before but the driver side was the original factory part. I did the driver side first and the lock nut was seized like a mofo, even after several rounds of PB blaster, brute force, sweat and tears. Eventually after a few rounds of carefully placed torch heat (avoiding the brake lines and inner rubber boots, and not holding on for too long) and cranking with a 12" pipe wrench, it finally started to spin off. The tie rod actually started to unthread with the lock nut still stuck in place, but once the rod began loosening the nut came loose too.
What should have been a ~60m job took way too many hours and lots of persistence, but it FINALLY came off. Gotta say the pipe wrench was the savior. The passenger side was much easier since it had been replaced before (guessing during a front-end collision repair) and just took a regular amount of torque to break the locknut free. I used my air hammer and pickle fork setup on both sides to get the spine off the knuckle, but you may be able to get away with a few hammer blowsto the top of the spine.
I replaced both sides with the more expensive (45A0886/45A0887) AC DELCO parts via amazon, about $55 per side. These parts are not as pictured on the site, they have blue grease boots that you need to slide over the spine before install, along with a zerk fitting and non-castle/non-cotterpin self-locking nut.
As best as possible, I measured the exposed threads before removing and also checked the distance from inner tie rod edge to center of tie rod spine and this helped get the alignment close. The lock nut on the new part was thinner than the nut on the old part. Lastly, I did a DIY alignment afterwards with the old string method (search youtube) and was able to get it ~98% on point.
Steering is much tighter and it solved all my woes. GOOD LUCK!!!! :tiphat

121 - 131 of 131 Posts