Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

101 - 120 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
2 Posts
Excellent Information...Thanks!

This was pretty straightforward...the pickle fork we had was too small, but a sharp rap with the hammer knocked the tie rod right our of the spindle. Doing this myself saved me half the cost of having the dealership do it, even with the new toys I had to acquire to get the job done. It took 1 1/2 hours plus the time to get the alignment done.:thx

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
67 Posts
Did Outer Left side this weekend

Installed the Moog problem solver from Rock Auto.

A couple of additional comments:

Had to measure from the center of the grease fitting hole the front of the jamb nut.
This is due to the new part being slightly different.

Part didn't come with a jamb nut and I gave up trying to find one after 3 calls to the local Auto Parts stores. Next time I'll order the jamb nut with the part.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
16 Posts
I just installed R & L outer 14mm tie rod (Moog replacements) on my 02 TB. It took me about 60 minutes to complete (I work slowly). Thanks to all that contributed to this thread - it was a HUGE help!

I would also mention that the Moog part is shaped differently than the original part so measuring in multiple places is recommended to ensure your alignment is close to the same. It did not come with a replacement nut, so I re-used the old one - grease fitting is a nice to have.

I am tempted to replace both inner tie rods (for the heck of it), but didn't have the parts handy.

:thx

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
7 Posts
Just replaced outer tie rod end on passenger side on my 03 TB EXT. Thanks for all the advice on this thread. Pretty simple job if the jamb nut loosens like it is supposed to. UGH !! Got it done though.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
5 Posts
Tierod greasing

I just had my tierod ends greased at a local Costco...and now that I see them they are oozing grease all over my tires...they filled them up so much that it squeezed out of the boots.
So is this ok? Or is this going to cause them to wear out sooner. Both sides are stiff and have no play, but dont want to have to replace them anytime soon either.

·
Registered
93 Posts
That grease is fine. Just wipe off the grease that oozed out. It's not going to wear out your tie rods any faster. Replacing the tie rods is surprisingly easy to do. Even if you're not a mechanic and you've never done it before. One of the most important things to remember is to count the threads exposed on the tie rod before removing the nut. If you don't count them or mark them in some way then you will wind up needing an alignment.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
22 Posts
So I just replaced one of my outer tie rod ends and realized the new ones have a grease fitting, and for the life of me, I don't have a grease gun...

so, just to throw this out there, my local parts store is about 4 miles away...I am making a mistake if I drive there without greasing them first? Is there any quick fix I can do or am I going to have to cab it?

also...what type of grease do I need for these? They're carquest l&r tie rod ends...
Thanks guys, btw, this thread was super helpful on this one!

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
56 Posts
So I just replaced one of my outer tie rod ends and realized the new ones have a grease fitting, and for the life of me, I don't have a grease gun...

so, just to throw this out there, my local parts store is about 4 miles away...I am making a mistake if I drive there without greasing them first? Is there any quick fix I can do or am I going to have to cab it?

also...what type of grease do I need for these? They're carquest l&r tie rod ends...
Thanks guys, btw, this thread was super helpful on this one!
the new tie rod ends typically come shipped with a little grease around the ball joint surfaces. a short drive should not hurt them at all. when you get a grease gun, then you can fill up the rest of the void inside the rubber boot. this simply helps keep out moisture and debris from the contact/wear surfaces of the ball joint. excess grease is not "better", it only makes a mess after it oozes out of the boot.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
4 Posts
Thanks

I just finished replacing my outer tie rod ends and thanks to the info here it was a breeze i am just fine tuning the alignment now just to get it close before i take it to get done and i defiantly recommend changing both sides before you get the alignment

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well this is my current project. The last year or so my 06 TB has felt a wee bit sloppy on the road and the front end felt a bit loose when going over bumps etc. I researched it a bit was was looking to do the tie rod ends. Well last week it became more apparent. My family and I went out to look at an acerage for sale, traveling 10+ clicks on the highway at 110km/h and then 6+ clicks on a grid road at 80km/h.

Was traveling less than 30 and going to turn around when the shoulder of the road felt very soft, I was being pulled into the ditch, which was steep enough to roll. I managed to steer it in and stop. I tried to drive out and heard a clunk, reversed and clunk again. went out, not hung up.... well the tie rod let go. Thankfully it was when it was and we were all ok. With some help from some good friends we got the TB home, now the parts pricing begins....

Thankfully this is a good site and some good info given. I feel really confident to do the project myself.

·
Registered
2009 saab 9_7x
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
I started this thread a number of years ago when I changed my tie rods. When I changed them I ended up using two different styles, one that was sealed and one with a grease fitting.

My TB now has 130,000 miles and at 128,000 I had to change the sealed tie rod. I was surprised by how much play appeared almost overnight. I checked both sides but only one was bad. I decided to use the one that can be greased.

When I went to remove the worn tie rod it broke as soon as I put the wrench on it to remove the nut. The replacement tie rod did have a hex head on the top of the stud so I was able to remove it without much trouble.

She is back on the road with the hopes of making it to 200,000 miles! I am not worried about the drive-line but more worried about rust. Living in the northern climates will take its' toll but time will tell. So far she has held up great with a little rust starting to show on the bottom of the rear doors and hatch. I plan to wire brush the area clean, POR 15 it and then paint.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Got my parts, now just need to set aside some time. They were 587 with tax for both inner and outers for both sides, I believe they are Moog parts. I am happy that they are greasable. I realise that vehicles are made to be operated by idiots who barely know how to put gas in the things but it really makes me happy when there are little easy things to maintain that will help it last in the long run.

Very good thread showing how to do the work, which is why I ventured to do the work myself.

·
Registered
59 Posts
All done. I ended up not changing the inners. First of all they were on there solid, I figured I would damage something trying to break them free. I had a crescent wrench on the thing and needed a hammer as force. Seeing that the ball joint was well greased and tight as hell I said F it. The outers were done with ease.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_slt_xl
1 Posts
tie rod jam nut frozen

2006 envoy, driver side outer tie rod jam nut will not budge. I need conformation on the direction of nut removal. looking at the wheel well I am turning toward the front in a clockwise direction with vise grip jammed against the bottom of the lower control arm.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
14 Posts
Hey on mine i had to use a cheater bar to break it loose. It was on perrty tight, but in time it did break loose. Turn nut counter clockwise
looking at the outer tierod on drivers side with the front tire turned all the way to the front bumper, i removed my tire it will give you more room to work on it, good luck...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mine was pretty gross, but a few days leading up to the fix I started dousing it in WD40 and it broke loose pretty easy with a standard wrench.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
1 Posts
rack and pinion

does anyone know if tbss quick ratio sport package rack will bolt in place of 02 4x4 rack mine is shot so pondering upgrade while replacing??!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
does anyone know if tbss quick ratio sport package rack will bolt in place of 02 4x4 rack mine is shot so pondering upgrade while replacing??!!
Try asking in the SS tech section. You will probably have better luck there. THIS IS JUST A GUESS but I would say it fit because the bodies of the different models are typically the same up top. Most differences are found on the front grill area and minor differences in the rear. After all they're on the same chasis. But like I said that is JUST A GUESS .

101 - 120 of 131 Posts