Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
81 - 100 of 131 Posts

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
I don't think I've ever heard of pulling a tie rod end at the junkyard. :confused:

Usually the alignment you need will far outweigh the cost of the part, and aftermarket ones often come with the desirable zerk grease fitting.

There are no other platforms/trucks to pull from except the trailvoy GMT360/370/305 series.

If you have the 2002 14mm version, all you can choose from is the Trailblazer, Envoy, and Olds Bravada.

For the 16mm ones, you can add the Isuzu Ascender, Buick Rainier, and Saab 9-7X, and I think the same evil GM design team designed the suspension for the Chevrolet SSR, but I never checked part numbers for those tie rod ends.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
125 Posts
Greetings Dudes,

I have a 2002 TB with loose passenger outer tie rod. When jacked up, I can wiggle the wheel just a tiny bit.

I'm debating buying a new tie rod... or just going to a junker yard and pull one that does not wiggle.

I know to look for 14mm and 16mm differences.

Can I also get a list of year and models of alternate GMC\Chevy trucks, Envoys or TBs that I can look for parts in a junker yard?

Thoughts? Tips? Tricks? :cool:

I believe you can only pull parts off other GMT360 platforms. Also I am about to replace my inners and outers soon.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
4 Posts
GMT Series?

OK... You guys hit me with a new term and acronym I'm not 100% hip on.

I'm guessing General Motors Truck Series.... how do you ID 360 series or does someone have a list?

And for Roadie.... In the past, my eldest high schooler side swiped a car, hooked the tires and bent his tie rod. It was a junker 93 olds achieva and a new tie rod was more expensive than the damn car. For $5, I pulled a junker tie rod, had Schwabs do an alignment for $40... done.

My logic was to do the same for the TB tie rod... Is my logic flawed??

Cheers

Chewie

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
What do you normally do with new or unfamiliar terms?

http://tinyurl.com/29l2sna

:D

Your logic is fine on the tie rod end, as long as you get it from a low mileage truck. Seems silly to get a $5 part and align it for $75 (today's price near me) when you don't know how much life is left in the part.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
167 Posts
verry good wright up on this. i need to do mine soon but $ is a problem with me right now. i have the part but cant do it do to needing an alighnment after words. so i have to wait.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
4 Posts
Thanks for the great write up, and additional tips! This was my first time ever replacing anything suspension related. Was quoted $245/side ($490 for both sides) for the parts and labor on our 2003 TB LT. My wife was quoted this tonight when she was denied an alignment because of the tie rod having so much play. I decided at 6pm on a Sunday night to do it myself. It cost me $85 total with the great Advanced Auto coupons. Took my dad and I about an hour labor to complete both sides, taking our time. I'll get it aligned tomorrow.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
4 Posts
:thx This thread was very helpful. I just replaced mine with the MOOG parts and thanks to this it went perfect. I didn't have to use my puller, a slight tap (with a nice sledge) on the head of the tie rod and it popped right out. Only issue I had was that even though I measured the threads and made sure they matched, the MOOG ends are longer, and my alignment was WAY off after install... :hissy: so I did an old school eyeball alignment to hold me over until I can get it set right after the weekend. Thanks again for the great post!!!

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
9 Posts
I had my TB in for a free tire rotation @ Sears today, and they called me out to the shop to see that when the guy grabbed the tire @ 3 and 9 o'clock the tire had some play. He said the tie rod was bad, and quoted me a price of $250 to replace the tie rod and do an allignment. I figure I can do the tie rod myself thanks to this thread, but I don't feel anything in the steering and the truck drives straight and there is hardly any slop in the wheel. When should I consider replacing?

Kyle

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
When should I consider replacing?
When you have sufficient tire wear from the wandering alignment that a worn tie rod ends gives you. ;) If you don't feel it in the steering, it may not be a severe problem yet, but you didn't share your mileage or tire age or time since last alignment so it's hard to give high-quality advice. :confused:

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
9 Posts
The truck has 62,000 miles on it, I haven't had it alligned, but I've only owned it since 33,000. Tires were brand new in January and have >10,000 on them. Thanks for the tips.

Kyle

·
Registered
2003 trailblazer_lt
84 Posts
^ Yes, I meant to post it here. I took the boots off to check the inner tie rods and, as expected, couldn't get the original clamps back on properly. This set at AutoZone was the only one I could find yesterday in which both clamps could be used on the tie rod boots. They're the proper width for the grooves in the boot; just a bit long.

O'Reilly had a similar one in stock, also from Dorman, but they were the Oetiker-type pinch clamp like the OEM clamps and the larger one was too big. Their web site lists the 03644 kit, but it's not in stock in the store.

·
Registered
2003 trailblazer_lt
84 Posts
Are they wider than the OEM clamps? All the hose clamps at the local auto and hardware stores that were big enough were about twice the width I was looking for, and I wasn't sure if that'd be OK.

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_sle
4 Posts
Has anyone used a inner tie rod tool other than the HF one? I would rather get a kit with the correct size crows foot instead of having to grind one down. What is the correct size crows foot to use in the tool?

I see that Lisle makes a couple kits. There base kit 45750 contains 1 3/16, 1 1/4, 1 5/16, 1 7/16, 1 1/2, and 33.6mm. Tha master kit with includes the same feet as the base kit with 29mm,32.5mm and 1 3/8. Then they have a large one mainly for trucks and suvs containing 1 7/16, 33.6mm, 38.4mm, and 42mm.

Thanks

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
93 Posts
Ahhhhh, understood. I just use stainless hose clamps I got a while ago in a huge set from Harbor Freight.
I personally have had nothing but headaches from the crap they sell at harbor freight. I avoid them like the plague now! Their tools are junk and break easy! You're better off spending a little bit more and buying whatever you need at some other place. Just my .02

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
173 Posts
Just got a quote from the local shop after I suspected that my front sway bar end links were toast (they'd be warrantied by them) and it turns out that the inner tie rods have a bit o' play in them. That's cool, they're original and it's probably overdue. My question is: do inner tie rod ends make squeaky/groaning sounds while traversing small bumps at slow speeds with the wheels turned?
Also apparently the only inner tie rod ends they sell are made from solid 24 kt gold and infused with the tears of an entire herd of unicorn because they cost $184 a pop. That plus labor ($216) equals never gonna happen. Looks like I found my next little project. I checked out RockAuto and their tie rods range from ~$10 - $70 depending on which grade I go for. The truck has 150k km on it and it's a daily driver and I drive it like an SS so does the grade of part matter enough to get the better parts? Cash isn't so much a factor, I just don't want to get the less expensive ones and replace them in a year or whatever.

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
7 Posts
Keith,

Thank you very much for the write-up with very good photos. My 2004 TB failed inspection, and the estimate for a belt, rear shocks, and outer tie rod ends came to about $760! Rock Auto sold me the parts w/shipping for $166, and I went to it, although not quite as fast as you. I did two things different though. In step 1, I measured the distance from the inner end of the jamb nut to the seam of the "knuckle" clearly seen in the lower picture in step 5, and it was close to 9'. So, I used a punch to put a mark at 9" just slightly inside the seam. The other variation someone else mentioned, just take the nut off the spindle, and whack it with a hammer.

Thanks Again!

81 - 100 of 131 Posts