Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so i know that there are 2 sizes for the tie rod ends (14mm and 16mm).

I'm wondering if there is a way to tell what size is on my TB without tearing everything apart. I called the parts guy at my chev dealership and he said the only way to tell is to put it up on the hoist, tear it apart, and look at it (which i dont want them to do, I'm doing the work myself). Gave them my VIN and they couldnt tell me.

The build date on my TB is Aug.'01, so I'm going to guess its the 14mm, but is there a way to know for sure before hand?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whenever I go to a GM dealer, they allways want to know the VIN number so they don't goof up on a part.

I was under the impression that they would know based on the VIN.

AG
according to the dude i spoke too, he cant tell me that based on the VIN (which I found very odd)

I'm going to call another dealership and see what they can tell me, cuz it just dont make no sense.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
4,125 Posts
What are the parameters around the different sizes?
i remember reading on here somewhere that somewhere in the 02 model year run they upped the size and it may not have been documented or whatever. That may explain why the dealership can't narrow it down with the VIN#

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
Interesting, never heard this before. Maybe one was for 2WD and the other for 4WD, then GM just used the bigger one...

Well, I have a mid 02 MY TB, built 11/1-3/01.:D

Aug 01 is early, I think the TBs went on sale in June/July 01...

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
k, the smart guy (he's the only one that is smart there, im convinced) at the chev dealership printed off something for me:

Part # 26089597
Outer Right Tie Rod (1st Design)
- 14mm threads on gear end
- Indentify by assembly numbers 15061963 or 15071247 or 15170451 on the steering gear.
Part # 26100286
Outer Right Tie Rod (2nd Design)
- 16mm threads on gear end
- Indentify by assembly numbers 15162147 or 15164042 or 15170458 or 15185191 on steering gear.
i got the 14mm size since its safe to say im probably in the 1st design group (being built '01). if not, the store i got the parts from said i can return it and get the other one.

EDIT: this is for the 2002 model year only. i dont know what the info is for any other year

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just put new outer tie rod ends on, the guy at Pep-Boys said the only one that showed up for the '02 no matter what model (mines a 4wd LS) was the 14mm (1st gen) and at least in my case he was right. good luck.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mine were the 14mm size. fairly easy job to do. the new ones are also greasable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts