Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get a light ticking or clicking noise when I begin to accelerate that I can hear in the cab. The truck runs fine, and when I get up to my cruising speed, the ticking goes away. Any ideas or is this standard?

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Could be many things. How many miles on the vehicle? If you stop accelerating in the middle of getting up to speed, does the noise stop? We need to separate out engine-related causes from driveline causes. Engine issues are in the serpentine belt, idler pulley, and fan shroud/fan/water pump areas. Driveline issues might be in the hub bearings, CV shafts, transfer case, driveshaft, or rear differential. Any chance somebody can drive next to you as you speed up and see if the noise is from the front or rear?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could be many things. How many miles on the vehicle? If you stop accelerating in the middle of getting up to speed, does the noise stop? We need to separate out engine-related causes from driveline causes. Engine issues are in the serpentine belt, idler pulley, and fan shroud/fan/water pump areas. Driveline issues might be in the hub bearings, CV shafts, transfer case, driveshaft, or rear differential. Any chance somebody can drive next to you as you speed up and see if the noise is from the front or rear?
85K miles. Noise is coming from the front of the vehicle. I guess I should probably just bring it in to the mechanic. I need to have the AC checked to see why that is not working.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,203 Posts
Are you sure its in the front of the vehicle and not the dash? - There's been a history of noisy instrument clusters, if the noise only occurs at elevated engine speeds, trying reving in Park/Neutral and see if you hear the ticking. (Might be the tach stepper motor).

Also up the hood and listen there, if the noise duplicates in Park/Neutral and is from under the hood, you may be able to partially isolate the source. If its along the top of the engine, might be injector noise....they do sort of tick or click normally, but get louder when dirty or partially clogged. (A good injector cleaner will lessen the noise, if this is the case). If the noise is from the front of the engine, might be the clutch fan, idler pully or even the a/c compressor bearing.....you did mention the a/c doesn't work. (Might not be coincidence).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
update

Okay, AC is fixed, was just low on coolant not allowing the compressor to kick in, whew.

Anyways, I tried to rev in neutral/park and the ticking doesn't occur. Only when in gear and accelerating. Any ideas? I don't hear it once at 60 mph cruising, only seems to be above 2000 rpms

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
170 Posts
Hmmm - is the vibration at your feet ?
When you move the wheel from side to side does it change pitch?
I have had this issue recently and it is in the front diff.!!!:suicide::suicide:

Good Luck !!
Rick

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
249 Posts
had the same when I got ours, heard it gettin on xway. Acceleration under load= exhaust leak, mine was the rear bolts snapped...

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_denali_xl
29 Posts
Elwood Blues..was the sound like a card in a bicycle tire? I have powertrain warranty..will this be covered?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Having the same problem......ticking on front right side.....gets louder when accelerating and stops when let off gas. Doesn't do it while idling.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt
1 Posts
Hello, I just started having the baseball card in the spokes sound. I only hear it when you accelerate the engine in drive.

Oil pressure and amount is good.
No check engine light.
No loss of power during acceleration.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts