Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a used 2005 trailblazer and when in 4 wheel drive and reversing with the wheels turned more than half way, there is a loud thunking sounds (I don't know how else to say it).

·
Super Moderator
2004 GMC Envoy SLT 4.2
306 Posts
Is that happening when on dry ground/pavement or all the time in all conditions ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is that happening when on dry ground/pavement or all the time in all conditions ?
I have never had 4wd on on pavement. Only dirt roads that were not sufficiently maintained to keep 30+ in 2wd.
It happened once backing out in 4wd hi from a windmill in the middle of a cotton field. It was the first time I had a reason to turn the wheel most of the way in reverse while in 4wd.

it hasn't happened under any other circumstance. I have tried it a few other times, but in similar situations of loose dirt/mud. It only happens in reverse with the wheel turned at least half way in 4wd hi (and I have only had in in 4wd in loose dirt/mud). There is no issue going forward under any drive setting. In 2wd, there is also no issue going in reverse regardless of how much I turn.

I have not tested in 4wd low or a4wd. Sorry this is so wordy. I just don't want to waste anyone's time.

·
Super Moderator
2004 GMC Envoy SLT 4.2
306 Posts
I have never had 4wd on on pavement. Only dirt roads that were not sufficiently maintained to keep 30+ in 2wd.
It happened once backing out in 4wd hi from a windmill in the middle of a cotton field. It was the first time I had a reason to turn the wheel most of the way in reverse while in 4wd.

it hasn't happened under any other circumstance. I have tried it a few other times, but in similar situations of loose dirt/mud. It only happens in reverse with the wheel turned at least half way in 4wd hi (and I have only had in in 4wd in loose dirt/mud). There is no issue going forward under any drive setting. In 2wd, there is also no issue going in reverse regardless of how much I turn.

I have not tested in 4wd low or a4wd. Sorry this is so wordy. I just don't want to waste anyone's time.
No worries . That's a good description .
Sorry , I don't have an answer other than be sure that the transfer case and front dif have adequate fluids .
Oh , and , check U joints .
I'll be watching this thread for any developments .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts