Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2006 saab 9_7x
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While the OEM Silver Roof Bars (I won't call it a Roof Rack because of the lack of Crossbars) on the Saab 9-7x and Buick Rainier look great the lack of crossbars don't allow me to re-use our existing Ski/Snowboard roof rack.

I checked out the Thule web site and they say that their 5401 Snowcat Ski Carrier should be compatible with the Saab 9-7x's OEM Roof Bars. The Thule rack holds either 6 pairs of skis or 4 snowboards which is exactly what I need. Thule says MSRP is $225.00 which is a lot cheaper than what Yakima wants to charge (Yakima wants you to buy their bars then a rack system).

Has anyone purchased this Thule 5401 Snowcat Ski Carrier for their Buick Rainier or Saab 9-7x and if so was it compatible with the Silver Roof Bars right out of the box?

·
Registered
2009 saab 9_7x
52 Posts
i was able to mount my yakima 6 pair ski holder directly on the roofbars on my 04 trailblazer, needed a sed of $30 adapters to do it and it was no big deal, not sure why you couldn't do the same on the saab

·
Registered
2006 saab 9_7x
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The Saab uses different siderails and doesn't come with cross bars. The Bravada, TB and Envoy came with a Black Roof Rack that featured Black Siderails and cross bars. In fact I still have the pair of black cross bars from my 02 Bravada but the Saab siderails won't accept these black cross bars since the siderails are totally different.

I talked to a local Thule dealer (Summit Sports) and they said the Thule 5401 Snowcat should work with an 06 Saab 9-7x. I'll probably go by there to see the rack before purchasing it. If I purchased online I'd only save about $20 or so.

Here's two pics of the Saab 9-7x Roof Rack:

·
Registered
9 Posts
roofrack crossbars

if it is just a lack of cross bars, why not pick up a set of stocks off another TrailVoy? are the rack rails the same? I know they are between the Envoys and TBs...

if the OEM cross bars fit, I have a set i can sell you...
Hey Gordinho! I know the post was a long time ago, but do you still have those crossbars for sale. Any idea if they will fit an 04 Buick rainier? Thanks.

·
Southeast Chapter
2004 buick rainier
5,864 Posts
Hey Gordinho! I know the post was a long time ago, but do you still have those crossbars for sale. Any idea if they will fit an 04 Buick rainier? Thanks.
yes, any cross bars from the normal style rack will fit. Also just to let everyone know the 9-7x (and 06-07 Rainier) rack will fit any SWB GMT-360; I put a 9-7x rack on my rainier

·
Banned
386 Posts
yes, any cross bars from the normal style rack will fit. Also just to let everyone know the 9-7x (and 06-07 Rainier) rack will fit any SWB GMT-360; I put a 9-7x rack on my rainier
I know this is an older post...but am looking to install cross bars on my 06' Buick Rainier. I have the same chrome stock rack as pictured above. Does anyone know where to buy them from? Are they relatively inexpensive? I want to use them for a ski rack. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2006 saab 9_7x
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know this is an older post...but am looking to install cross bars on my 06' Buick Rainier. I have the same chrome stock rack as pictured above. Does anyone know where to buy them from? Are they relatively inexpensive? I want to use them for a ski rack. Thanks in advance.
I still have a pair of Black cross bars from my 02 Bravada, but I'm not sure if they'll fit on the Saab 9-7x/Buick Rainer roof rails? I recall that the black cross bars slide into a channel on the older rails whereas there isn't a channel in the silver rails on the 9-7x/Rainier. Any suggestions?

·
Southeast Chapter
2004 buick rainier
5,864 Posts
I still have a pair of Black cross bars from my 02 Bravada, but I'm not sure if they'll fit on the Saab 9-7x/Buick Rainer roof rails? I recall that the black cross bars slide into a channel on the older rails whereas there isn't a channel in the silver rails on the 9-7x/Rainier. Any suggestions?
you are correct; the cross bars from the regular roof rack will not fit on the Saab/2006-2007 Rainier roof rack; honistly if you really think you are going to put something up there; i would say go to e-bay and buy an old style roof rack and then when you need to put something up there it takes 10 minutes to change out roof racks:yes: that's why i kept my old style roof rack when i upgraded to the chrome rack

1 - 9 of 9 Posts