Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is "throttle body service"? My '06 Trailblazer has just over 37K on it.
Is this just a dealer "pad - his - bottom - line service ?

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,268 Posts
that how to is for a thorough cleaning.

Every 10-15,000 I remove the cover- and disconnect battery- and spray into the throttle body-- and move the flap to loosen crud.
I leave batt disconnected for 30 min...
then I reconnect- and drive like normal...

·
Registered
2007 gmc
159 Posts
Yes, very easy to do yourself. I personally disassemble and clean the TB using TB cleaner then use AMSoil Power Foam to finish cleaning the TB and the internals.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
Yes, very easy to do yourself. I personally disassemble and clean the TB using TB cleaner then use AMSoil Power Foam to finish cleaning the TB and the internals.
:iagree: it'll be more beneficial to take off the whole throttle body. you can clean it out more

·
Registered
2007 gmc
159 Posts
:iagree: it'll be more beneficial to take off the whole throttle body. you can clean it out more
Sorry I was not clear. Yes I take the TB off (disassemble) to clean both sides then reinstall. Thank you for clarifying that!

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
39 Posts
How often and how can you tell when you need to clean throttle body? Does the motor lose power or gas mileage?:undecided

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
most people find out about it when theyve never cleaned it----
and you disconnect the battery for a while to do some work on the vehicle.(like install a stereo)
if left disconnected for more than 30 min...
when they drive again- the car is fine--- but turn on the AC-- and youll soon find out- that yes- the computer lost its learned parameters.

I didnt find mine to be dirty- until I replaced my battery and cleaned the battery tray (bout 40 min)- I had about 3 or 4 yrs on the battery-.....

When I next used th AC-- some days later-- I got the horrible Idle issue...
I didnt correlate the two as being related.
So- it may be that you may NEVER see it if all conditions are good-
But more than likely- youll encounter it later in the vehicles life when the battery dies or you disconnect it.

But Im tempted to say that maybe every 20-30,000.

·
Registered
2007 gmc
159 Posts
I clean every 15,000 miles or 1 a year (which ever comes 1st) when I change my oil.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
39 Posts
Got my envoy on march 15th has 94000 miles on it. I'll take air tube off and see if it's dirty.:thx

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
8,770 Posts
do not move the throttle body flap while the battery is connected!!

·
Premium Member
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
268 Posts
its says he is an amsoil dealer and if you look back on his posts he is hawking the product on 50% of them

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I have always wondered that if the backside of the throttle body looks like it does what does the inside of the intake manifold look like????? The fuel is injected at the intake valve so what is all over the backside of the throttle body and how does it get there????? Vapor condensation after shutdown???

1 - 20 of 25 Posts