Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2007 buick rainier
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a Trailblazer or Envoy. I like luxury and need to tow a 3500lb Chaparral but have a limited cash budget when it comes to used cars. I just discovered that Saab makes a clone to the trailvoys. I have never had a foreign car much less a saab and realize it is a Gm but finding a low mile trailvoy with all the options at a decent price is proving difficult. 90%are the stripped down LS version. I noticed the Saab comes with just about every item that is hard to find on a trailvoy but everything is standard on the saab and the crazy thing is all the saabs have lower miles and are actually cheaper than the equivalent trailvoy. I am guessing nobody wants a Saab because it is like you can get more vehicle for less money so it just must be unpopular. So here is my concern. Saabs do no have four wheel drive but instead came standard with awd (4wd is not offered) as well as the 3.73 rear end and limited slip(again both hard to find on the trailvoy). Will awd work like 4wd when I am at a boat ramp and need 4wd when the wheels are spinning? Does anyone have experience with the 9-7x? I am replacing a fwd Oldsmobile mini van that tows acceptable and struggles at slippery ramps but can take on the steepest dry ramp with ease so I am not hard to impress. I don't really understand all wheel drive.
Thanks

·
Registered
837 Posts
i really want a 9-7....i think they are sick...it is more or less a gm where you are correct however it has the european design throughout the body (eliminating all the indentions and juts in a tblaze or envoy)...comes with stock projection headlights also which is a plus...the one i looked at carmax was fully loaded with navigation for 18998

i say go for it

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
278 Posts
The Saab does not have a true Awd system.

http://forums.trailvoy.com/view.php?pg=resources
All-Wheel Drive (WAD) System
Your vehicle has this feature. There is no lever or
switch to engage or disengage the front axle. It is fully
automatic and adjusts as needed for road conditions.
Your vehicle has an active transfer case allowing
two-wheel-drive operation on dry roads. The transfer
case will shift automatically into all-wheel drive on
slippery surfaces. You may feel an extra shift when the​
all-wheel drive engages.

The Trailblazer also has this options on the transfer case switch. I find it useful

Sorry I cant get into technically.

·
Southeast Chapter
2004 buick rainier
5,864 Posts
you will be fine with the AWD on the boat ramp; the thing that will help you more is the G80; i have the G80 but not the AWD in my Rainier and the G80 comes in real handy; i have used the G80 with my boat and that has always gotten me out of trouble; never needed AWD; the Saab's are nice and if you find one at a good price go for it; the Rainier's also came with the 3.73 and G80 just to keep your search more open:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
140 Posts
true AWD is so much better than 4wd it cant even be explained. AWD will handle so nicely in the snow if you ever deal with that and as far as towing im not 100% sure but i imagine it will do just fine. 4WD is not "true" 4WD only 1 tire spins in the front and in the back. So really your getting most of your power to 1 tire in the front and 1 in the back. AWD is power to all tires at same rate. Much nicer I wish i had it on my envoy. G80 is cool tho

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
For what you want you'll be fine with the Saab 9-7X "AWD". I put the AWD in quotes because it is not a true AWD system in the sense that power is always transferred to the front wheels, it is transferred when the rear slips (thus the slight "clunk" you feel). The only TrailVoys that have true AWD are the TBSS and 9-7X Aero, they use a Torsen T-3 center differential to transfer power front and back with at least 33% of the power going forward at all times. The other TrailVoys "AWD" or A4WD settings transfer like 5% front just to keep the driveshaft engaged.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts