Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just figured I would throw this little bit of info out there that I found out. Dont know if this will be helpful or not.

Before I sold the Z71 Avalanche springs and shocks I was gonna try to put the shocks on my 03 Z71 Silverado SCSB. Once I took off a stock shock, I found that the ones on the truck were about 2" longer than the Avalanche shocks. Im about 99% sure that my Silverado shocks are stock. So if anyone is interested in a longer shock for your lifted Trailvoy, you can probably use stock Silverado shocks.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
625 Posts
You will most likely loose a little bit of the compression with a longer shock anyway. For example 2 inch longer shock 1 inch of lost compression. Does anyone know the compressed length and extended length of stock trailvoy shocks. Out of curiosity.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
You will most likely loose a little bit of the compression with a longer shock anyway. For example 2 inch longer shock 1 inch of lost compression. Does anyone know the compressed length and extended length of stock trailvoy shocks. Out of curiosity.

Here are the stats:

New shocks and springs (avalanche)

Shock body: 7"
Shock uncompressed: 25 7/8"
Shock compressed:18 1/4"

Springs uncompressed : 16 1/2"

Old shocks and springs (HD bilstein shocks, OEM springs TB)

Shock body: 7"
Shock uncompressed: 24 3/4"
Shock compressed: 17"

Springs uncompressed: 16 1/2"

·
Registered
625 Posts
Thanks!! :thumbsup: Were those shock specs center of the bolt hole to center of the bolt hole

·
Registered
625 Posts
I measured some replacement i have at work for a silverado and they are 26" inches long extended and 15 3/4 compressed center to center.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I personally don't see that as being a problem the bump stops on the suspension should stop the bottoming out. I might have to invest in a pair of bilstein hd's for a silverado because my stock hd's over extend from time to time on bumps on the road. The only thing i'd be worried about is over extending and pulling on the parking brake cable or anything else.

·
Registered
625 Posts
What the heck i'll give it a try and see what happens. I ordered hd's for a silverado.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,031 Posts
Sounds like it will give some additional articulation. It is not a huge difference but sometime a little more is all you need. Keep us updated on the install!

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
497 Posts
I'm sure someone else will know, but I think we have to have about the same compressed size also.:undecided
Correct me if I'm wrong... But if you fit a bigger tire, it's not necessarily a bad thing to have a shock that doesn't compress quite as much... because it will limit travel sooner in the upward direction, which will also limit impact with the fenders from the larger-diameter tires.

Personally, I feel that stock shocks are WAAAAAAAAY too short. I put my Bilstein HD's on a few days ago and with factory springs there's only about 2" of downward articulation available. Once I put in my spacers that will be GONE.

I feel kinda mis-lead for being recommended those shocks, in the first place. They seem like poor shocks for lifted folks.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Hmm that sounds strange only two inches with factory springs mine is about like that with zz1 springs and a one inch spacer. You don't want your shock limiting your suspension that's what the bump stops are there for. I didn't test fit the other shocks i have at work, i'll just figure it out when i get the bilsteins here. I was thinking of pressing the sleeves that the bolts go through on my original shocks out and putting them in the new ones. I wouldn't feel comfortable selling or even giving them to someone knowing they have been over extended a few times some what hard.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I attemted to install the shocks today. The bolts on the truck shocks are one size bigger, which is fine could have been cured by drilling out the holes and using larger bolts or just tightening them down. Wouldn't have needed much of a spacer for the bottoming bolt to take the sideways movement out but the lower bracket on the axle hit the bottom mount of the shock. The stock Kyb shocks i have at work would work except the bolt size problem.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts