Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:eek::eek::eek:Like the title says. I am attempting to change the transfer case fluid. I got a Chilton's book but the pic is too close to the tell where the transfer case is located.:eek::eek::eek:

Logically it must be attached to the drive shaft. I found what I believe is the transfer case under the driver seat. However it look nothing in the book.:undecided

The book shows the fill and drain plugs as what looks to be about a 13 mm plug. What I have found has plugs that look like I could use a 3/4 ratchet to get them out.

What looks to be the fill plug is badly stripped.:hissy::mad::mad: If this is indeed the transfer case what would be some recommendations to get the stripped plug out?:thx

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
Yep, sounds like the transfer case. It's to the left of the transmission and connects to the rear of the transmission, actually replaces the tail-piece of the transmission. The front drive-shaft connects to it as well.
And yes, that type of plug usually fits the square drive of a ratchet wrench, or, handle.
I assume the area that is stripped is the square hole in the plug. If so, the plug should be removable with vise-grips. Just grab the outside of the plug. Should have a new one to replace.

·
Banned
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, sounds like the transfer case. It's to the left of the transmission and connects to the rear of the transmission, actually replaces the tail-piece of the transmission. The front drive-shaft connects to it as well.
And yes, that type of plug usually fits the square drive of a ratchet wrench, or, handle.
I assume the area that is stripped is the square hole in the plug. If so, the plug should be removable with vise-grips. Just grab the outside of the plug. Should have a new one to replace.
I'll go take a pic of it, but I think its flush with the case. I wont be able to get a vice on it:hopeless

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
Your right, not gonna get a vise-grip on that. Try a small "cold" chisel, place it against the inside edge of the hole and tap, with a hammer, so that the force of the tap turns the plug counter-clockwise. You'll have to set the chisel so that it can cut into the plug, this will direct the taping force into the plug as well as turning the plug. But this is ok. Just tap gently so that you don't cut the plug too badly.

BTW, they look like hex holes. You can buy hex wrenches for socket handles. Maybe cleaning the damaged hole and using a hex socket will break it loose.
Sometimes, the hex can be pounded into the hole (sorry, tap gently, so you can get it out later).

·
Banned
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is an Idea, Thanks.

I think Ill start spraying it with some PB blaster over the next week to cut through the rust and corrosion. maybe it will be easier in a few days to use the chisel.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Screw extractors typically require a hole drilled into the broken screw. The extractors I'm familiar with have a shallow wedge shape, and they'd bottom out in that plug before they gripped on the side walls. The differential plug in the rear uses a 3/8" square drive recess, but these are definitely hex. Mine weren't damaged, but I recommend Ray's idea of using the right metric hex socket adapter. And tap it in to restore the hole. Probably a JiffyLube idiot's idea of doing his thorough inspection job. :nono:

Replacement part is GM #89059626 for $6 at parts4chevys.com

·
Banned
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Probably a JiffyLube idiot's idea of doing his thorough inspection job. :nono:

Replacement part is GM #89059626 for $6 at parts4chevys.com

That is exactly what I thought when I saw it.:cry:

·
Premium Member
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
268 Posts
the hex socket you need is a 3/8" drive 3/8" hex head, I just finished doing mine, actually both came out rather easy. good luck

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
399 Posts
Yuk...that sucks. I feel for ya with that one. Let us know if you get it and good luck! Also, I found this at Sears, says it will work with Torx and Hex screws...might work for this app. Could go to the store and take a look at it. A little spendy, but a handy set to have probably.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00952156000P

·
Banned
771 Posts
Loading it up with some penetrating oil a day before the planned extraction so it can slowly penetrate thru the threads.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ltz
98 Posts
Hi everyone !! Capacity of this case?

Hi guys!
This is Carlos calling from South America...:tiphat
I couldn't find in the Manual the Transfer Case oil capacity, it only says that is AUTO-TRAK II oil , but there is no indication of how many Liters do I need for a complete flush
Do anyone of you know it?

Thanks a lot. :woohoo:

Are the previous pictures rotated 180°?

Bye -Bye

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
399 Posts
I believe you just fill it until it reaches the bottom of the fill hole. That's how they used to be. I'd wait to see if someone knows the exact specs.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
399 Posts
Ok, I found another thread and they said 2 quarts (1.8l), or up to the fill hole like I stated. Make sure the vehicle is level so you can get enough in.:m2:

·
Banned
771 Posts
Changed mine yesterday, it's a 10mm Allen wrench (2003 TB). Spray some penetrating oil into the hole and clean thoroughly with small screwdriver. Tap the wrench gently until it's in all the way or you could damage it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts