Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very close to buying a 2006 Trailblazer LT with 24,000 miles. But I DID check into Consumer Reports and the vehicle does not get the most sterling endorsement for reliability.

My core need is a vehicle that will not kill me on gas, can competently handle snow and can pull a 17-foot fishing boat. I am not an offroad enthusiast or a car guy ...

Wondering ... and realizing I am talking to enthusiasts here ... what are your thoughts on the general reliability as a daily driver?

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
I had a front axle seal go bad in my 06 Envoy Denali. It has around 48k on it right now.

Would you still like the car at $4-5 a gallon at about 14mpg city, 18-20 highway. Those MPG figures are a little low but not much. The 17 ft boot eliminates alot of cars that are good in snow.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a front axle seal go bad in my 06 Envoy Denali. It has around 48k on it right now.

Would you still like the car at $4-5 a gallon at about 14mpg city, 18-20 highway. Those MPG figures are a little low but not much. The 17 ft boot eliminates alot of cars that are good in snow.
Yeah -- I am aware of the MPG situation. I don't have a far commute but I'll tell you I now have a Mazda3 5-door with 170 hp that gets not quite 27 on the highway. And you couldn't tow a wheelbarrow with that!

·
Banned
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_ls
7,988 Posts
Welcome to the site.:tiphat As with any vehicle, there are good and bad. Some with more problems than others. (And I don't have much faith in Consumer Reports anyway) With that said, my 06 TBSS has 47,000 trouble-free miles. I purchased it used with 20,500.:m2:

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
:tiphat Welcome :tiphat Definitely look for a TV with the G80 option for the slippery boat ramps. And, :iagree: C.R. usually doesn't like anything domestic.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:tiphat Welcome :tiphat Definitely look for a TV with the G80 option for the slippery boat ramps. And, :iagree: C.R. usually doesn't like anything domestic.
Another Milwaukeean, eh?

Not sure if the TB I have a line on has that. Would the AUTO setting be very useful for this application? Given the overall capacities of the TB, and the fact that my boat and trailer go about 2K, not sure if the locking rear differential would be overkill ...

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
25 Posts
Hello!

I would have joined sooner if I knew about this site!
My 02 Envoy 2wd from CA had never given me any problems (77K miles now)
until what I suspect O2 sensor problems led to a check engine light and driveability issue recently.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
until what I suspect O2 sensor problems led to a check engine light and driveability issue recently.
So calcoll4 -- what was the resolution to that issue?

BTW -- am really digging the MPG thread. Some cool ideas there ...

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
Another Milwaukeean, eh?

Not sure if the TB I have a line on has that. Would the AUTO setting be very useful for this application? Given the overall capacities of the TB, and the fact that my boat and trailer go about 2K, not sure if the locking rear differential would be overkill ...
The 4Auto setting will help. The G80 is like a nice bonus. It also comes in handy in snow.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
:tiphat Welcome :tiphat

·
Registered
2007 chevy
957 Posts
They're good vehicles duuno who says they are unreliable. Don't know what kills you on gas but they are not Honda Civics. Then again, a Honda will not tow like these can. As for winter, get the 4WD and you are in excellent shape.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Trigger pulled

I bought my Mazda from Hall ... went to their Chevy dealer to work a deal on the Trailblazer.

I have some interesting dealer stories to tell that compare this Chevy dealer with other "Walmart" style dealers, and they are fascinating. But that would be going far afield of the important thing.

Close and drive the thing away on Saturday ... kid was getting tired by the time the business manager freed up. That gets me time to get all of the crap out of my Mazda.

BTW -- the 2007 actually gets pretty good ratings from CR.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
6,568 Posts
110K on the clock... bought it at 70k...only had to replaced 1 cause it was broken... over all beat it and it asks for more... some people have had problems with theres... just there are more out there with little to no problems then some that have a constant problem... and most of the time is basic maintence that decides it all... congrats on ur purchase u will love it...

P.S. get a tune... u'll love it even more...

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
183 Posts
I purchased my '07 with 50 000 kms on it and have never looked back. I've only had one problem (and it was probably my fault) with the idler bearing on the AC compressor went bad. Probably one of the dozen plus times I plowed through the 2-3 foot snow drift at the end of my driveway. (I live out in the country) As for the 4 wheel drive setting....when pulling the boat to and from the lake, leave it in 2 wd, switch it to 4 Hi for putting in and out only. The auto works best for snowy day's or when driving on changing road conditions.:m2::thumbsup:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I purchased my '07 with 50 000 kms on it and have never looked back. I've only had one problem (and it was probably my fault) with the idler bearing on the AC compressor went bad. Probably one of the dozen plus times I plowed through the 2-3 foot snow drift at the end of my driveway. (I live out in the country) As for the 4 wheel drive setting....when pulling the boat to and from the lake, leave it in 2 wd, switch it to 4 Hi for putting in and out only. The auto works best for snowy day's or when driving on changing road conditions.:m2::thumbsup:
Good stuff. I am not exactly in the city either ... and even here in an exurban area of Wisconsin we sure get our share of 2-3-foot drifts. And ice. Last time I owned a 4x4, they didn't have the "auto" setting -- so this is a really cool feature.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts