Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I replaced the thermostat (along with water pump, fan clutch, and coolant temp sensor) and during the job I thought it was curious that the haynes manual didn't mention any gasket for the t-stat housing. I figured the little rubber o-ring was the gasket because the thermostat I bought (gates 33939 on amazon) didn't come with a paper one, so I didn't add any rtv or even think about it further.
Now its leaking like a sieve from where the thermostat housing meets the block. Should I have added some rtv, or did I mess up somewhere else?

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I talked with a mechanic and he said that the o-ring should be all that it needs to seal up; no rtv required.
I took off the thermostat and replaced the o-ring with a new one, and put it back on. No leaks, all is well. So either I messed up the first time around (I torqued the bolts to the haynes spec of 89 inch-pounds, which seemed really low to me; this time I just cranked on them until I thought they were good), or The original o-ring was bad. My money is on me messing up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts