Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,031 Posts
You might want to lose the running boards, they don't help on a break over.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
You might want to lose the running boards, they don't help on a break over.
The running boards and mudflaps are gone now, just because of that reason, I just didn't have pics of that yet
Frank!

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The rear is complete!

I'd like to share some pictures of the XUV's lift project. I just got the rear end done today. It was pretty easy, just needed an impact gun, and spring compressor.

I First had to remove the airbags, it was pretty easy to do, I just jacked up the truck by the meatball, installed some jacks on the frame, then removed the bolts to the rear shocks. I also removed the air lift sensors. It all went well until the loud pop that scared me half to deaf, and made my ears ring!! Apparently when you remove the air bags from the top mount, they just pop, releasing all the air. The bags are fine, they just made the pop noise which i wasnt expecting!!

I then proceeded to install the Z71 springs and spacers from Mark. That was a little tedious because i had to compress the spring down really far to get it to fit with the new springs, and that was at full extension down of the rear end! But i finally got it in!

I then went to install the Z71 shocks, now some people say you need spacers, some dont. On my 2004 XUV, i needed spacers!!
But my friend and i came up with a perfect fix for this, we cut the extensions off of the factory shocks and used them as spacers which fit like a glove!!

After that was all done, i was worried about the air compressor, i was told you have to disable it, but i found out you dont. For some of us, who have the compressor hookup in the back for inflating tires, balls, mattresses, etc, i really didnt want to loose that, so i tried just disconnecting the air ride sensors. I found out that that worked!! The compressor doesnt receive the signal to pump up air, but the rear air supply with switch still works fine, iwas impressed with this. I guess you can have your cake and eat it too!!

Below is a finished pic, its just the rear end that has been lifted, tomorrow will be the front, with more pics and lessons tomorrow night!! Also, the measurement was pretty amazing, 38" to the fender!!

38""

Frank

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
A little extra bonus!

I also did another rear light mod. I removed the rear reverse lights, which are a 4" round light, and went to a Peter Built store and bought 2 4" round red LED stop/brake/turn signal lights. I been getting stopped almost every other day recently, and everytime they just let me go, once the officer reviews the law. This was, the new LED's are DOT/SAE compliant and are bright as heck!!

I also bought some small foglights and mounted them under the hitch to use as reverse lights!

Frank

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
447 Posts
have you given some thought to spraying the underbody and in particular the frame with some POR 15?

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
have you given some thought to spraying the underbody and in particular the frame with some POR 15?
I've thought about it, but I don't have access to a lift, so it would be a bit painful to do it under jacks! I'd rather not pay for something I could do my self. A friend if mine is getting a lift soon, so then this could be a reality!

Frank

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_sle
1,614 Posts
I also did another rear light mod. I removed the rear reverse lights, which are a 4" round light, and went to a Peter Built store and bought 2 4" round red LED stop/brake/turn signal lights. I been getting stopped almost every other day recently, and everytime they just let me go, once the officer reviews the law. This was, the new LED's are DOT/SAE compliant and are bright as heck!!

I also bought some small foglights and mounted them under the hitch to use as reverse lights!

Frank
looks much better:thumbsup:

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
447 Posts
I've thought about it, but I don't have access to a lift, so it would be a bit painful to do it under jacks! I'd rather not pay for something I could do my self. A friend if mine is getting a lift soon, so then this could be a reality!

Frank
I POR 15ed underbody of my roadmaster wagon with out a lift and it was a nightmare, dirt and rust in the eyes, all the pain of working on your back waiting for dry time for all the cleaning and treating stages. But it was worth it. The rust stopped dead in its tracks for as long as I had the vehicle

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
87 Posts
I believe you will be okay once you add the MarkMC 3" BodyLift & 33-35" Tire, Your Lift Spacers - Thus the MarkMC sPECIAL Recipe.:D

One thing I found Intresting is that my Co-Workers 4-Door 4x4 Tacoma Pick-up Truck has a longer wheel base that my LS TB Std. when we lined them up
Tire to tire..Even He was Suprised. You May be Close to the wheelbase of the 4-door Quad Cabs...Not bad.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
XUV lift is complete

Well, last night i finished up the lift on the XUV. The front went really smooth, it took about 3 hours in total for my friend and I to do the front, and about 2 hours at firestone for the lifetime alignment(most of it wait time). I got it cheap through a friends discount!! The front measures 36" to the fender.

Here are a few pics of the lift completed. Most of them are on the trail!! The last trail i did was a bit difficult, there was a 1ft drop from eroded dirt and roots, but my fiance guided me through and i made it without any thing bottoming out. During this entire trip, nothing bottomed out! I was VERY happy with this!!

XUV after install and alignment

36" at the fender

Sitting at the "Scenic view"

Our 7 month old aussie Chewy posing for the camera. This is what the XUV was made for!!

Approaching a major drop and clearing it with no under carriage scraping!!

Frank

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
So someone actually cut the extensions off of the old shocks like i did to fit the z71 shocks :thumbsup:

looks very sharp though

21 - 40 of 44 Posts