Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, a while ago, i posted some pics of my 04 XUV off roading, and The Roadie called it the weiner mobile.:duh: Well now its time the weiner mobile gets lifted!

Right now, the xuv is murdered out with herculiner, and im running 245/70/17 right now.
I orderd Marks 2.5" lift kit, front and rear. Im in the process of buying rear Z71 springs and shocks. Im debating about which shock to put up front, KYB or Bilstein.

Im also taking off the running boards as well, since they only cause issues. Is there anything else i should be aware of when doing this changeover. I dont want to loose the rear compressor, since it does supply air to a panel in the rear for tires and such. Do i need to disconnect the leveling sensors so it doesnt activate? I tried searching fo this but i got nothing, especially since its an XUV.

Im really looking foward to making this thing offroad worthy!

Thanks,

Frank

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
If you're going to put in Z71 springs, you'll have to remove your rear air bags and disable the entire compressor system. You might as well sell it for parts. Lots of folks with bad units should be looking on Ebay. You could skip the Z71 springs, and just adjust the height sensors to accommodate the spacer lift. Then you get the benefit of adaptive pressure at the risk of keeping the failure-prone compressor system.

I'd put on Mike Barton's oil pan skid plate for safety.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,401 Posts
If you're going to put in Z71 springs, you'll have to remove your rear air bags and disable the entire compressor system. You might as well sell it for parts. Lots of folks with bad units should be looking on Ebay. You could skip the Z71 springs, and just adjust the height sensors to accommodate the spacer lift. Then you get the benefit of adaptive pressure at the risk of keeping the failure-prone compressor system.

I'd put on Mike Barton's oil pan skid plate for safety.
cant wait to see pics. What exactly are you hurculining?

·
Registered
269 Posts
I should have bought stock in the truck bed liner company. Kinda looks like a burnt marshmallow. Any light come out of those tail lights?
Are you serious? the entire vehicle is painted with bedliner. How is a tail light supposed to shine through? :hopeless
"line of fire" is his taillights, turn signals, and brake light. also his 3rd light works too.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,636 Posts
It looks wet.

Whats the purpose though? I could understand doing a few lower panels and those big chrome pillars in the rear... but the whole things a bit overkill eh?

And why get rid of the tail lights? I understand you have the line of fire... but don't you have to have light visible from the side of the vehicle too? I thought that was a DOT requirement.

·
Registered
269 Posts
It looks wet.

Whats the purpose though? I could understand doing a few lower panels and those big chrome pillars in the rear... but the whole things a bit overkill eh?

And why get rid of the tail lights? I understand you have the line of fire... but don't you have to have light visible from the side of the vehicle too? I thought that was a DOT requirement.
1. Reading his original thread he "painted" the bedliner on with a roller brush. This is the reason for the imperfection in the finish. Spray would have made the finish look great.
2. My good friend did this to his Tacoma (off-road use only), but had it professionally sprayed, and it looks amazing. I think it looks better than some of the demo trucks line-x and rhino liner have driving around that only spray the bottom half. Not necessarily all for functionality, but looks good and stands up to the abuse of kicking up gravel and brush and branch damage.
3. I don't know why he did the tail lights... Maybe to be a 1-off custom? But with all the mini trucks I've seen rolling around, line of fire is legal. tail lights only need to be visible from the rear. (there needs to be some sort of reflector in the rear, but most people never get hassled for that).

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1. Reading his original thread he "painted" the bedliner on with a roller brush. This is the reason for the imperfection in the finish. Spray would have made the finish look great.
2. My good friend did this to his Tacoma (off-road use only), but had it professionally sprayed, and it looks amazing. I think it looks better than some of the demo trucks line-x and rhino liner have driving around that only spray the bottom half. Not necessarily all for functionality, but looks good and stands up to the abuse of kicking up gravel and brush and branch damage.
3. I don't know why he did the tail lights... Maybe to be a 1-off custom? But with all the mini trucks I've seen rolling around, line of fire is legal. tail lights only need to be visible from the rear. (there needs to be some sort of reflector in the rear, but most people never get hassled for that).
I decided on doing the tail lights because the red didnt quite look right to me with all the black. And using niteshades wouldnt give it the texture and look the rest of the body has. As far as the laws, i check with CT's laws and spoke to a couple of officer friends and they said as long as its visible from 1000 ft, between 15-45" high and has brake, turn and park, its legal. This also corresponds to the DMV laws, so i think i should be good. I liked the texture look to it and the unevenness, i know its a bit weird, but i like it.

I should be getting all the components for the lift next week, so once it goes on, i will post more pics of the lifted weiner mobile!

Frank

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
I should be getting all the components for the lift next week, so once it goes on, i will post more pics of the lifted weiner mobile!

Frank
I don't think I've seen a XUV lifted. I kinda wish they had made a short version of the XUV. I would have gone with that as my platform, but alas, they only made it in the stretch limo version. How agressive are you going with it? Do you plan to actually do trails with it?

·
Banned
chevy
12,260 Posts
It looks wet.

You are correct that here in MD painting the lights will get you a fine and a fix-it ticket. Each state has their own laws covering that sort of stuff though. Gotta be careful though.... for any of us in say MD, or NY or DC, we know that some states write tickets based on where you are driving, NOT where you are registered. :cool:

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't think I've seen a XUV lifted. I kinda wish they had made a short version of the XUV. I would have gone with that as my platform, but alas, they only made it in the stretch limo version. How agressive are you going with it? Do you plan to actually do trails with it?
I currently do some trails with it and its not half bad! I guess I am going a bit aggressive!
I fedex just delivered all the shocks, I'm just waiting on my wheel spacers.
I've got marks 2.5" lift for the front and rear. Bilstein hd for the front and z71 springs and shocks for the rear. Once my spacers come in, I'll probably throw on some Goodyear mtr's at 265/70/17. If I need to trim inner fenders, so be it! I've already gone pretty far with this. Hopefully by sat everything will be on and I'll have some pics of the (first ever?) lifted xuv!

Frank

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
35 Posts
I currently do some trails with it and its not half bad! I guess I am going a bit aggressive!
I fedex just delivered all the shocks, I'm just waiting on my wheel spacers.
I've got marks 2.5" lift for the front and rear. Bilstein hd for the front and z71 springs and shocks for the rear. Once my spacers come in, I'll probably throw on some Goodyear mtr's at 265/70/17. If I need to trim inner fenders, so be it! I've already gone pretty far with this. Hopefully by sat everything will be on and I'll have some pics of the (first ever?) lifted xuv!

Frank
I for one am interested ,, :)

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How come you sprayed the Buttress and not the roof?
I heard that there was a problem GM had with weight for the moveable roof, and painting on the bedliner would add a little bit of weight and i didnt want to take a chance and have that part fail on me.

Frank

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Thats what I like to hear Frank. Make sure you post up some picture of this beast on a trail... you don't want to get slapped with one of Mario's mall stickers... :cool:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
290 Posts
That XUV will be pretty cool if you lift it and throw some bigger tires on it might suck in the swampy stuff but it will deffinetly look cool.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
That XUV will be pretty cool if you lift it and throw some bigger tires on it might suck in the swampy stuff but it will deffinetly look cool.
Maybe I'm not thinking of something but isn't 'swampy stuff' performance related to pure lift height?

The only place he may have more issues than a standard size TV is on large rocks or on tank traps.

The LWB breakover angle is greater than ours, while the approach and departure are the same.

:m2:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts