Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The outside temperature display on my 2002 TB has lost it's mind. It used to be deadly accurate, but lately it is displaying 85 degrees when it is 98 out, and it seems to come and go. One minute it is reading OK, then the next it is 15 degrees off.

There must be a sensor somewhere that is screwed up. Anybody know where it is at?

Anybody know how this works?

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
I was just thinking before I made yet another DIC joke --- I don't remember the DIC ever being the display for the outside air temp sensor. If you have the digital HVAC control, it's displayed on the control unit. If you have the remote temp mirror and the analog HVAC control, it's on the mirror.

Are there vehicles with analog HVAC, no-temp mirror, but with a DIC?

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,282 Posts
Hmmm.. must be that time of year for ambient temperature sensors to go bad - I just replaced mine last Monday. Bought it at the Dealership for $19 and some change. Had to remove the plastic "cover" over the radiator - the one that the hood prop rod clips onto, and it was right underneath that. A 10 minute job.

Good thing I fixed it because it was reading -39f before :ugh: Ive had enough of Michigan winters, its May and I want it to read +85f :D

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
98 Posts
temperature sensor

yes i replaced mine as well, it was cheap, but i guess the problem goes deeper then that cause my ac works awesome but at times it will blow hot air and then work perfectly. but my sensor reading now is still off at times like majorly. it was like 80 out and was reading negative 19. and when it's cold outside it automatically blows hot air and turns itself on. how do i stop this lol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The outside temp readout, on the climate control display of my Bravada, was bouncing around like a yo-yo. I wouldn't have cared but the temp of the AC reacted accordingly. It could be 95 out but if the thing read -34 then the AC would be putting out heat like a blow dryer. A new ambient temp. sensor got it all back to normal-

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm not sure if I'm reading the thread correctly. Will an ambient air sensor fix not only the outside temperature reading, but also my climate control? (My temp reading is located next to the climate control, not on the mirror) Currently my 2002 trailblazer ltz is showing that it's -39 outside when it's really in the 80's. Because of this, I can't get the a/c to kick on, but instead heat comes out. Even if I take it off auto air control and tell it to blow out the coldest possible air, it's warm.

The temperature will fluctate and once it gets high enough, the a/c starts working again, but only until the temperature starts to take a dive. In the last week, it's fluctuated between -39 to 50, but never higher.

I appreciate any help on this one!

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
That is probably your problem.

The manual HVAC will have the read out in the mirror, the auto will be on the HVAC control unit.

BTW, welcome to the site, and please take some time to fill out the vehicle profile info under User CP

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
It's about $20 at a parts store, dealer probably higher.

We have/had a parts list under Resources, try there. I haven't been in there in a while, hope it's still around :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
12 Posts
Guys,

Thanks for the help.....I did a search and found this site..... I've had the OC on the mirror for about 2 years now... figuring it would cost a small fortune to fix it.... I never touched it.... I called my local dealer and he got me the sensor without the bracket? It cost me $5.85 to fix it!.... The best part is I weaseled it out without taking the grill off..... Life is good!

Thanks again!

Signed the newbie!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts