Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A day I have been waiting for for years has come, Jim "Alfalfa" Queen and his Side Kick Denny Mooney have been purged from their posts at GM, and after destroying the company they can now do no more harm.

The new Vice Chairman Tom Stephens is a Powertrain expert and a trucker. He has brought Mark Reuss back from Australia where he has been leading the rear wheel drive development team to take over Alfalfas Job as VP of Product Development.

Next Tom has put Terry Woychowski who is literally the BEST Truck engineer in the world as Vice President in charge of Vehicle Programs. Between Mark Reuss and Terry I feel very confident that GM will reassume its leadership in Trucks ...and I mean real trucks! Great Rear Wheel Drive Cars...they are coming!

There you have it. My prayers answered. GM Engineering and product development now managed by honest intelligent engineers, men whose egos take a back seat to the product and the team.

Alfe got his wish that he stated to the Harvard Recruits that he would "Tear the compant apart" Now he Denny Mooney, and the worthless Ed Koerner are HISTORY. O happy day

GO GM!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tom Stephens is a great man who will lead GM for years to come.

July 30th, 2009

Business
A Lean, Product Machine
By Tom Stephens
GM Vice Chairman

Earlier today, the New GM took another step forward when we announced the new structure and leadership team for General Motors Global Product Development. With this news out there, I thought I’d offer my take on where product development is headed, and why these changes support our focus on customers, cars and culture.

First of all, let me congratulate my colleagues Jim Queen, Ed Koerner, Denny Mooney and Gary White on their retirements, and thank them for their many, many years of service to GM. Those are four top-notch, product guys and we all benefited a great deal from their leadereship.

Mark Reuss will come back from Holden in Australia and lead our global as well as North American vehicle engineering programs. Terry Woychowski will assume the new, consolidated position of vice president, global vehicle program management. Jon Lauckner moves to vice president, global product planning, succeeding John Smith, who is now on Fritz Henderson’s Executive Committee and in charge of corporate planning and alliances. Let me also recognize four other direct reports, previously announced, who will continue in their product development roles:

Dan Hancock, Vice President, Global Powertrain
Jamie Hresko, Vice President, Global Quality
Alan Taub, Vice President, Global Research & Development
Ed Welburn, Vice President, Global Design
Over the last several years, our product line-up has improved dramatically. With our most recent and upcoming launches, I feel strongly that GM’s line-up is as strong as it’s been since, well… ever! My job is to keep that momentum going.

And with fewer brands and models, combined with the leaner, flatter organization announced today – we are in a great position to not only build on our success, but also to do it even faster and with more consistency.

The new organizational structure has far few layers of management – which will lead to fewer meetings, faster decision making, more risk-taking and accountability. In the end, the result has to be — and will be — great cars for our customers. I’d be happy to hear your thoughts on our products, our new structure, or anything else that’s on your mind.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
916 Posts
This is great news! :hail:

I have a friend who works for GM in Dubai. He thinks this will benefit GM and their customers a great deal.

Regarding the return of GMT360, he doesn't think it is likely. The majority of GMT360 owners don't use them for what they're designed for (off-road). They use them as minivans. Therefore, they don't care about a body-on-frame SUV. Hence, the unibody design of the CUV. There are six GM CUV platforms.

When I return to the US for good, I plan on buying a 2 or 3 late model GMT360s with low miles and keeping them in storage for future use. Hopefully that will last me until I can't drive any longer (maybe another 25 years).

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yessss, maybe we can "persuade" them to bring the trailvoys back. Who doesn't mind breaking kneecaps if it comes down to it?
I dont think that will be necessary:) Tom Stephens was the head of GM Truck Product Development before Jim "Alfalfa" Queen disassembled GM Truck Engineering and sunk the ship.

With the "Truckers" Tom Stephens and Terry Woychowski now running everything in GM Product Development I believe you will see a new midsize truck platform come out of the pipeline in the next few years. ALas its too late for our truck platform I think. Moraine and Oklahoma CIty Assembly plants are mothballed, so that just leaves Shrieveport Assembly where the Japanese reject Colorado trucks are built

A new midsize truck / SUV cant be based off the GMT 355 Iszzu platform...that is a disaster and they know it. Somehow I look for a GM push to recapture that segment utilizing Hybrid powertrains and what ever else improves fuel efficency like Turbo Diesels that comes out of the pipeline. Thats Tom Stephens forte

As far as a new Platform goes, Terry can get this done. He helped GM put out the best full size trucks in the world even though Alfalfa cut him off at the knees by pulling his engineers away and slashing his development budget in 1/2 for the GMT 900

Thank God Alfe didnt succeed in getting rid of him

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
...what they're designed for (off-road)....
:no: :rolleyes:

The location of the front differential, the standard 2" receiver, and other clues hint that its market was to be a midsize decent tow vehicle.

Way too many design errors committed for it to have been aimed at the offroad market. :hissy: The rational offroad market, at least. :weird: You and I are not rational. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
45 Posts
Ok, so when you put it like that it almost sounds like Goverment Motors and it's new organizer Obama are making some good moves. Maybe, Obama isn't as harmful to the good ole' USA as I thought?? :) I just hope if like you say they have now have a Holden appreciater there, that maybe the G8 will be re-incarnated as a Chevy??

-Tim

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
138 Posts
Somebody should email him and point him towards this site, if he saw the number of enthusiasts we have here they would know how largely popular these vehicles are, plus he can see what we see wrong with the vehicles by going to a single thread lol.

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Somebody should email him and point him towards this site, if he saw the number of enthusiasts we have here they would know how largely popular these vehicles are, plus he can see what we see wrong with the vehicles by going to a single thread lol.
Tom Stephens knows our vehicles very intimately, he was in charge of Engineering for the 360/370 Development team. He is also the father of the I6 engine having spearheaded the entire powertrain program.

Lutz is the guy that needs to get worked over if we want GM to return to making a real BOF midsize UTE, one that can actually go off road. Tom aand Terry are True Truckers and know the virtures of these vehicles inside and out.

Perhaps we can get Tom to a meet in the Detroit area. If someone went about it the right way he probably would come. Hes just that kind of guy.

For email purposes, VPs in GM do not actually open their email, but receive a lot of the comments that are sent to their addresses.

In GM to contact someone you can try the persons name as in: [email protected] This usually works well for unique names.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
138 Posts
Tom Stephens knows our vehicles very intimately, he was in charge of Engineering for the 360/370 Development team. He is also the father of the I6 engine having spearheaded the entire powertrain program.

Lutz is the guy that needs to get worked over if we want GM to return to making a real BOF midsize UTE, one that can actually go off road. Tom aand Terry are True Truckers and know the virtures of these vehicles inside and out.

Perhaps we can get Tom to a meet in the Detroit area. If someone went about it the right way he probably would come. Hes just that kind of guy.

For email purposes, VPs in GM do not actually open their email, but receive a lot of the comments that are sent to their addresses.

In GM to contact someone you can try the persons name as in: [email protected] This usually works well for unique names.
I'll definately look into this when I get back from the beach.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Tom Stephens knows our vehicles very intimately, he was in charge of Engineering for the 360/370 Development team.
Are we supposed to hail as a returning hero the goofball who approved the following insane design choices for our adopted platform:

1) Unique and customer-insulting 6X5" stud pattern, thwarting the aftermarket wheel industry

2) Unique and lift-strangling location for the front diff bolted to the SIDE of the oil pan.

3) Complex and failure-prone air bag rear suspension option

4) Performance-strangling torque management, denying us the power we paid for?

5) Unique and aftermarket-thwarting 8.0" rear axle, instead of sharing GMT 805/820 components

6) Excessive number of spring choices in the parts bin, front and rear

7) Tight fit of the steering knuckle - upper ball joint, to the edge of the tire, thwarting attempts to fit upsize tires.

8) Unique front coilover lower mount design, denying easy access to aftermarket parts shared by many other platforms.

9) Lack of a PCV valve on the I6, dooming us to permanently cleaning of the throttle body

10) Omission of disconnectable hubs, wasting fuel by spinning front diff parts even in 2WD mode.

If I met the guy responsible for approving these decisions, I'd kick him in the shin, not buy him a beer.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts