Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081224/ap_on_bi_go_ec_fi/financial_meltdown

In this picture provided by GM worker Kim Clay, an unidentified employee watches as the last sport utility vehicle, a GMC Envoy, rolls down the assembly line the GM Moraine Assembly plant in Dayton, Ohio on Tuesday, Dec. 23, 2008, during the final shift at the plant. The last SUV rolled off the line at 3:48 pm, ending a production run that began in 1982 and leaving over 1,000 employees at this production line without a job.

:hissy::no::(

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2,667 Posts
Sad indeed! Wouldn't you like to have that one? You could tell everyone - I got the last one of these ever made.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
8 Posts
Aren't they discontinuing the trailvoy's anyway?

I mean I know the bailout is on hold, but I read somewhere that before the recession that they were going to a more (ugly, IMO) crossover style.

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
447 Posts
yeah and when you go in for repairs all the time you could tell the service writer you are there cause the guys who built it were sticking it to the man.

the last thing I would want is any GMT360 built after they told the guys they were going to be jobless
I thought I was above flaming...but you are a friggen idiot. Take it personal

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,147 Posts
Aren't they discontinuing the trailvoy's anyway?

I mean I know the bailout is on hold, but I read somewhere that before the recession that they were going to a more (ugly, IMO) crossover style.
Yes, the current money issue (recession) is not the main reason this is happening. Apparently, Americans have stopped buying SUV's in favor of more gas efficient cars and Crossover vehicles.

Anyway, this is a time of mourning for us all!

On a side note, will GM still be producing parts for the GM360's?

·
Registered
2004 trailblazer_lt
5,240 Posts
My understanding is that the white Envoy you see in the picture is to be donated to the United Way and raffled or auctioned off in February (IIRC).

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
447 Posts
Yes, the current money issue (recession) is not the main reason this is happening. Apparently, Americans have stopped buying SUV's in favor of more gas efficient cars and Crossover vehicles.

Anyway, this is a time of mourning for us all!

On a side note, will GM still be producing parts for the GM360's?
Very soon You can count on certin parts only being available to VIN's of vehicles that are still under warranty. The assembly plant usually trys to come very close to zero inventory at the end of production runs. Then service parts operations takes back all the remaining inventory from the closed plant and stocks it. Then for certin parts like interior trim panels and Instrument panels they make a final order for the various colors and put them to stock. There are not many ordered, particularily in these tight economic times with GM's poor credit. So These will be the last parts available.

There will NEVER be more than 5 years inventory on the different colors interior trim parts. The tools are usually scrapped after the last production run , usually 1 - 2 months after the production of the vehicle stops. After the parts in your color are sold get out your paint can and buy what ever color part remains or go to a recycler For mechanical and collision parts expect the full 10 years of inventory because the suppliers will anticipate additional orders and maintain the tooling.

Lets not hoard any parts, they will be around. Heck I bought a 305 and many parts are barely still available 4 years after the last vehicle was produced. But every part I need to keep this precious machine running is stillavailable

Goodbye fair lady 360/370. God bless the workers

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xl
249 Posts
yeah and when you go in for repairs all the time you could tell the service writer you are there cause the guys who built it were sticking it to the man.

the last thing I would want is any GMT360 built after they told the guys they were going to be jobless
:no::no::no:

·
Registered
458 Posts
why am I an idiot? You don't think those guys are pissed that they are losing their jobs? Quality is going to go down slightly. You are telling me you would bust your @$$ for a company knowing you were going to be jobless soon?

I just got laid off yesterday, And the rest of the day I treated crabby customers like ****, worked slow, and since they wrote me a check for the rest of the 8 hrs I was supposed to work that day I left early.

Other people on this forum said the same things as me when the news of the plant closing first came about.

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
447 Posts
why am I an idiot? You don't think those guys are pissed that they are losing their jobs? Quality is going to go down slightly. You are telling me you would bust your @$$ for a company knowing you were going to be jobless soon?

I just got laid off yesterday, And the rest of the day I treated crabby customers like ****, worked slow, and since they wrote me a check for the rest of the 8 hrs I was supposed to work that day I left early.

Other people on this forum said the same things as me when the news of the plant closing first came about.
well guess what I worked on the 360 370 team at GM, I have participated in more last vehicles going down the line than I care to remember, and I can tell you your thought about bitter workers is 100% wrong. That last day was a solemn day for the workers, the plant is like family to them , and 99% of them would not disrespect the memorys of their brothers by doing such a stupid thing. Even if someone did it would get caught by audit and test, so you may not be an idiot , but that opinion sounds like BS to me and I was not UAW, but an engineer.

·
Registered
2004 trailblazer_lt
5,240 Posts
As for the parts for the TB's/Envoy's, Federal law used to mandate that parts be made available for ten years after production ceased on a particular model. Has that changed?

As for the crack on the quality of the last vehicles built at the Warren plant, you need to understand that not everyone has the same mindset as you when it comes to the attitude you expect from laid off workers. These men and women have known for some time that this day was coming. Even so, many have/had pride in their work. Several are members of this forum. You may have just stepped on the toes of one of them....

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
447 Posts

BTW Jeff sorry to hear you got laid off. I hope the lay off is short and you get back to work soon

·
Registered
2007 chevy
131 Posts
I work in Spring Hill.When we ran the last Ions and Vue's. I ran my job same as always. In the body shop you can only load the parts one way.
Dave:):):):):):):):):)

·
Registered
458 Posts
I suppose some notice would have eased the pain. I got told 2 hrs before the end of my shift. The layoff for me was permanent. Hey we will still letcha on the register too cause we trust you.....what a bunch of crap, thats cause they HAD NO ONE and needed me to work.

Again, sorry to offend anyone, forget I even said it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts