Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer LS
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it finally happened. First major issue in the 15 years we've owned it.
The 2006 4.2 at 175,000 threw the Check Engine light and the Reduced Power light while my wife was visiting in Florida.
She called me in a panic, but I was able to walk her through plugging the code reader into the OBD2 port and read the code: p2138 Throttle Pedal Position Mismatch.

Told her to turn the engine off and restart. Fortunately, that turned off the Reduced Power indicator and she was able to drive it to a shop.

Such a simple fix, but since I was 600 miles away .....
$500 later she drove home with a new throttle pedal. At least it came with a 3-yr 'warranty' so I'm hoping he used a quality replacement.

What really frosted my cookie was when the "technician" quoted me over $3,000 to fix things that didn't need fixing:
  • transmission oil is dirty, needs a power flush ---> oil had just been changed (and there's no way I would power flush!) and still looks virgin.
  • power steering oil is dirty ---> oil had just been changed and still looks clear.

There was more, but I won't bore you.
I wonder if the tech even bothered to pop the hood because he totally missed the brake fluid being dirty and a little low (upcoming job for me - new pads/rotors/hoses sitting in the corner waiting for this weather to cool off).

I called his boss and told him the tech either needed an eye check or something as these types of bogus "finds" give shops a bad name.

I'm all for people earning money, but I guess it's been an awful long time since I had to pay another mechanic.
Ouch!

·
Premium Member
'05 Chevy TB EXT
5,138 Posts
Lessee ... $68.30 for a Standard Motor Products APS137 or ..........

$82.19 for a GM Genuine Parts 25832864

and maybe an hour scan time and another hour installation flat rate at $125.00/hr = $250.00.

Lowball = $250.00 + $68.30 = $318,30
Highball = $250.00 + $82.19 = $332.19 .............

Either way --- $500.00 is a stretch!

BTW: teach everyone in your family to demand the old part back .... right?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Upsell upsell upsell. My guess is that none of the recommendations came from any actual tech inspection. They have equipment they need to pay for and can profit from. The old "flush" thing is classic.This is the mode of doing business at many shops - esp national corporate chain operations. Always find a small, reputable, locally owned place.

·
Premium Member
'05 Chevy TB EXT
5,138 Posts
.... more like: "Bait-n-switch", "Bait-n-switch" ...........

.... and 1 hour "scan time" would've paid for a somewhat decent personal scanner .................

·
Registered
2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer LS
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lessee ... $68.30 for a Standard Motor Products APS137 or ..........

$82.19 for a GM Genuine Parts 25832864

and maybe an hour scan time and another hour installation flat rate at $125.00/hr = $250.00.

Lowball = $250.00 + $68.30 = $318,30
Highball = $250.00 + $82.19 = $332.19 .............

Either way --- $500.00 is a stretch!

BTW: teach everyone in your family to demand the old part back .... right?
Shop rate = 135
Part = 240
Install = 75
Shop fees and taxes = 55

Must have "rare earth" metals or was blessed by the dali llama.
On the positive front: it works!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts