Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I drive a 2006 Trailblazer LT 4.2, it comes with electric everything and is extremely fun to drive since installing a CAI and working with the fine people of PCM4LESS. Needless to say, I'll have it for a long time (despite the electrical nightmare it can be sometimes) and wouldn't want anything else.

I recently came across a friend of mine that drives an 06 SS with an OEM Nav-Screen stock. He told me that he decided to take out his stock screen and "upgrade" to a better aftermarket version. I said okay, do you think I could take your old screen and install it into my LT that came stock with Onstar, XM and the Bose system? He said yeah, it should work..

Well I contacted the dealership first thing, spoke with their service and parts department and both of them pretty much told me there's no way in hell that it can be done. To sum the conversation up, the tech said that "If my LT wasn't 'born' with Nav already installed, it can never have one.." I didn't like that answer.

I soon after decided to take a better look at my 6-cd radio unit. I popped the center dash off and pulled the unit out. I saw two ports for plug-in's and one black "cable?" that went into the left side of the rear of the unit. I then took a look at my friends Nav-unit. He had the same two plug in ports (they were in different positions of course) and one little green port for a third plug in. Apparently this is for the antenna?

My question to you all is, is there anyway around this? I really like the stock Delphi screen that he has, why couldn't I just buy the antenna and plug it up? What do you guys think. Thanks! -Lee

·
Banned
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
68 Posts
Starting a second thread won't help. The knowledgeable people who made this site what it is have left. Do a google search on the usernames of those who are "no longer with us", and you might find them.

(It's against site rules for me to just tell you) :hopeless

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
17 Posts
anything can be done. dont let the stealership fool you. you will need the nav antenna if you would like to use that feature. but you will need to go to the stealership and they need to program your vin to that radio. plug it in and it should work. hope that helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ghosts

I was a member when some of the "older" guys were still here. My account went inactive while I was deployed to Afghanistan for the second time and was wiped as a result. Trailvoy was a place for me to come for answers from them.. What has it become now..

The dealership here in NC says I'll need the antenna. I'll look into some more. He said something about the BCM not accepting it if I were to install it. I'm looking now... -Semper Fidelis from Camp Lejeune guys..

·
Registered
2006 chevy
492 Posts
The tech from stealership doesnt know anything. It can be done ABSOLUTELY. Not sure about LTs but all SS have non-lux which means it has dummy amp while LUX ones has digital signal. If yours is non-lux, it should work and may need minor programming to match your VIN and stuff....it makes me laugh when techs shows off and talks like he knows everything....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The tech from stealership doesnt know anything. It can be done ABSOLUTELY. Not sure about LTs but all SS have non-lux which means it has dummy amp while LUX ones has digital signal. If yours is non-lux, it should work and may need minor programming to match your VIN and stuff....it makes me laugh when techs shows off and talks like he knows everything....
This is what he said word for word. "Even if you buy the antenna for the unit and plug it up, the BCM on the 06 LT won't accept it. They don't make them for the 06' and up LT models."

·
Registered
2006 chevy
492 Posts
This is what he said word for word. "Even if you buy the antenna for the unit and plug it up, the BCM on the 06 LT won't accept it. They don't make them for the 06' and up LT models."
I never heard BCM will prevent a nav from working. Programming it to vin specific should do it as long as it matches your vehicle radio code (UB0, Ys, Qs, etc.) AFAIK, the display would always work, or at least would display THEFT UNLOCK and the only issue will be the audio part.

·
Registered
2006 chevy
157 Posts
Yes you can install a factory non-LUX navigation unit into a base model. I have installed a 2008 SS factory unit into my brothers 2004 envoy. Just needed factory nav antenna. Installed radio and it had a locked message on it untill the dealer used the tech2 to unlock it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts