Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Banned
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_1ss
5,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you are aware, General Motors has closed the Moraine, Ohio Vehicle Plant. The last vehicle of our kind rolled off of the production line on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 @ about 3:48pm.

This closure marks the official end of the the following vehicles:

Chevrolet TrailBlazer, including the SS
GMC Envoy, XUV previously discontinued
Saab 9-7x

And the following have already been discontinued prior to the closure:

Oldsmobile Bravada- ended in 2004
Buick Rainier- ended in 2007
Isuzu Ascender- ended in 2008

These trucks were often referred to as the GMT 360 platform series of trucks, here is the breakdown:

GMT 360:
2002-2009 Chevrolet TrailBlazer
2002-2009 GMC Envoy
2002-2004 Oldsmobile Bravada
2003-2008 Isuzu Ascender
2004-2007 Buick Rainier
2005-2009 Saab 9-7x

GMT 370:
2002-2006 Chevrolet TrailBlazer EXT
2002-2006 GMC Envoy XL
2003-2007 Isuzu Ascender EXT

GMT 305:
2004-2005 GMC Envoy XUV

Our platform has roughly been replaced with by the Lambda platform which includes the following vehicles:

Chevrolet Traverse
GMC Acadia
Buick Enclave

Though this marks the end of our "generation" of trucks, our community will still be integral in helping countless people in the future.

When this community was formed, the main focus was on the TrailBlazer and the Envoy, because those were the "well known" members of the platform, and there were very few owners popping up with the other makes. Jump ahead to today, we still have the TrailBlazer and Envoy dominating the population of our community, but those members that own Buicks, Oldsmobiles, Saabs, and Isuzus are just as welcomed as anyone else in our community. We also have a decent portion of the community that have the TrailBlazer SS, some may note that there are two other great resources for the SS, but again, we welcome everyone and hope that we can help answer questions and solve issues.

You, the member, have made this community what it is. The "community" doesn't necessarily just mean our site, there are other sites that contribute information and knowledge, and our info and knowledge may end up on those sites, all though members that frequent the different sites. Thank you to those members and to those sites for the contributions to our overall community.

Though there are many different personalities and opinions, most of us have one thing in common, love for this platform and whatever make and model you may own.

TrailVoy will continue to be here as the resource that will help people make decisions in buying, selling, maintaining, or modifying our favorite SUVs.

Hats off to those that worked hard to produce our trucks, and our thoughts are with you all after the closures of several plants. Without you, we would not have this community, because we would not have the trucks. I wish this was a win-win situation, employees stayed employed and we got to keep our platform, but unfortunately, that was not the end result. More than I am worried about the end of the platform, I am worried about those who lost their jobs days before the holidays, and in a time when finding a new job is extremely difficult.

Thank you all, members, visitors, advertisers & vendors, supporting and contributing members, and anyone else that has made our community what it is today :tiphat

Jman423
Jimmy
Administrator

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
8,770 Posts
I've seen an Acadia and been in one and I have to honestly say that it's a beautiful truck :yes: The 360-370's were great, but I don't feel so bad that they're being discontinued, just saddened by all the people that were laid off :worried:

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
Thanks for the kind words Jimmy, couldn't have said it better myself. My hat's off to the workers that made our trucks and I am deeply saddened to those that are out of work now. My TrailBlazer has been an amazing truck and I have had the minor kinks but overall its been more reliable than my old Jimmy and much more so than an old Jeep.

Thanks again to all the workers and I hope someday GM can realize there is a market for a midsize SUV instead of a crossover. Maybe just make it 1 or 2 brands instead of badge-engineering 6 models might keep production costs down and demand higher. It makes me sad because a Tahoe is too big for our garage and the crossovers can't tow our boat so I will have to look elsewhere when it comes to replace my TrailBlazer. And so for me it has been "Like a rock".:grouphug:

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_ls
27 Posts
thanks Jman423....

Owned two trailblazer a 05 and an 09 the current one is a choice that I had made after a short while with a 08 KIA for two months then I couldn’t stand it anymore and I returned to the TB , the discontinuation news were very sad thing to me and it might appeared that it has come early a little and could been avoided if GM did what Ford did and decided to keep their mid size SUV’s line , but I think after all that’s the way it is
After all and from my perspective the 360-370GMT has became a significant part of Auto make history when it comes to the Popular mid size SUV’s, you can find it every were north and south America, Mideast and some parts of Europe and Africa …
Thanks to the Engineers and workers of Moraine, Ohio Vehicle Plant, the Pontiac GM truck engineering centre the Mexico assembly plant and all the families Dayton ,Ohio…wish you all the best …..:thx

·
Banned
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_1ss
5,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
damn, jimmy you scared the shat out of me, I thought (as I was reading this) it was a site closing statement.....:weird:
:crackup: I gotta keep you on your toes :laugh:

There is no way this site is going anywhere any time soon :woohoo:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hopeful classics

WITH ALL THAT HAS TRANSPIRED IN THE MARKETS I HOPE TO KEEP A HOPEFUL MIND IN THINKING THE TB'S AND ENVOYS WILL BECOME SOUGHT AFTER CLASSICS AS TIME GOES BY AND AS A TB OWNER I HOPE TO BE ONE OF THE VERY FEW THAT ENJOYS ITS RIDE AND COMPANY. LIKE THE CLASSIC CORVETTE'S AND CAMARO'S. :woot:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
34 Posts
WITH ALL THAT HAS TRANSPIRED IN THE MARKETS I HOPE TO KEEP A HOPEFUL MIND IN THINKING THE TB'S AND ENVOYS WILL BECOME SOUGHT AFTER CLASSICS AS TIME GOES BY AND AS A TB OWNER I HOPE TO BE ONE OF THE VERY FEW THAT ENJOYS ITS RIDE AND COMPANY. LIKE THE CLASSIC CORVETTE'S AND CAMARO'S. :woot:
Well if my recent visit to Carmax is any indication, demand for this vehicle (in the used market) should remain strong. I spent about an hour at Carmax yesterday, and lots of people were looking at the two Trailblazers they had on the lot. And of the 2 they had, 2 had sold just hours earlier. Too bad GM canceled these

·
Premium Member
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
123 Posts
The end of the line....

Well, I for one, am not the least bit worried.

I used to have a '68 Camaro, RS/SS 396, TH400... I literally drove that thing into the ground (and to the scrap yard, oh woe is me!) They dropped the Camaro.

Well guess what... now you can buy them again.

I believe that this is a great vehicle platform, the right size, and the right appeal (remember that my wife likes it) so that even if they put a new power plant into the vehicle, it is still viable.

The Acadia is significantly bigger, and carries a heftier price tag.

The I6 might seem strange to the younger generation, but, I grew up with the 230 and 250 six. Do the math..... same engine configuration.

A great vehicle never dies.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
3 Posts
About 2 months ago my wife wanted to trade her 06 TB for a new Acadia. So we went and drove one. We were on the highway and she hadn't said a word since we left the lot, she turned to me and said this thing sucks. It rides terrible, I can't see out as well and the rear floor looks unfinished.
Needless to say we decided to keep our TB while we save up enough for the Tahoe. She drove that immediately after and loved it.
I'll be curious to see how the Acadia does, because if you look at the basic vehicle it's not as refined as the TB was. The ride truly is terrible when you compare the two.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It is true - a good vehicle never dies. Styles change and companies have to try to keep up to try and earn a dollar...don't get me started on what I think of big car companies right now.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
370 Posts
The Last Truck

I just watched the HBO special, The Last Truck. It was, I must say quite moving and sobering. People with 23 years 40 years and more leaving a job they loved, people they loved, A COMPANY THEY LOVED!!!

I went right out to check the door sticker on my 2002 Trailblazer just to make sure it was made there, it was. I'm keeping this truck. 92K + miles and ZERO problems!

THANK YOU MORAINE!!!

Here is a link to upcoming shows. If you don't have HBO find someone who does to see this.

http://www.hbo.com/apps/schedule/ScheduleServlet?ACTION_DETAIL=DETAIL&FOCUS_ID=679449

·
Registered
2003 olds bravada
70 Posts
A good fit for a truck

It would seem that GM forgot about the medium truck market.
Look around there are tons of TB platforms out there. I have a 2003 Bravada that has worked well pulling up to 5500 lb trailer. and still gives 18 plus MPG empty.
TBs have been popular as the best midsize SUV out there.
not bad to buy good to use and many of us use them in a way that the new FWD platform can not do.

The fullsize SUVs are fine just a bit more in cost and size and a bit more than most of us need.

My 4.2 I6 is one of the best motors GM produced in recent times and different flavors work in the Colorado and HRR units.
Not to dump on the small-block but the Atlas motor gets more from less. dual overhead cams, high compression, Vtec control on exhaust cam, all aluminum,True port injection, fly by wire ECU.
GM get off or your knees and get busy.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
70 Posts
I don't understand why they would drop this truck! I would think they would at least start to gear it towards a hybrid edition like the Tahoe. That's one of the main factors is the gas mileage. It's just too good of a vehicle and too many people like the platform to just end it... :cry:

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
447 Posts
It would seem that GM forgot about the medium truck market.
QUOTE]

From my experience as a Midsize Truck Engineer for GM it wasnt that GM forgot about the Midsize truck market, but rather the demise was do to this man: James "Alfalfa" Queen

[/IMG]

He was more interested in promoting his bag men in the GM car group and pushing pie in the sky visions for things like 2 seat Cadillacs

[/IMG]

or those little POC carminivans Acadia, Traverse, Outlook, and Enclave..grocerygetters. The Envoy was never due to die, it had a long run planned to be sold alng with the POS Acadia, Traverse, Outlook, and Enclave minivans.

But dont worry the man who was the VP of Truck Product Engineering Tom Stephens is now RUNNING GM PRODUCT ENGINEERING!!!!

He's a self-described "engines guy" who can discuss technology all day long. He's got a big-picture view of the global auto industry, its challenges and opportunities. He can tell you why great product is important, having designed, developed, validated, certified and manufactured his share of it during a 31-year career at General Motors Corp. And, perhaps most importantly, he's an inspirational leader who's able to rally people effectively.

·
Registered
chevy
4 Posts
He was more interested in pushing pie in the sky visions for things like 2 seat Cadillacs

That 2 dr Caddy sure looks a lot like the current Civic 2dr :D

1 - 20 of 73 Posts