Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, well I am headed my way towards getting new wheels and tires. I am going to start collecting parts until i'm ready to do a lift, spacers, wheels and tires.

I saw one guy on here with 15" wheels and they cleared the caliper.
Now my number one question is, is how do I understand the offset.
I am using the http://www.rims-n-tires.com/rt_specs.jsp utility to see the difference. I believe our stock wheels are roughly 33+ offset or around that ballpark correct?
My question is, what does negative spacing mean. I found some wheels with -38 and - 44, in a 15 x 10 size wheel. According to that utility (above) it appears that negative offset moves the mounts in closer to the wheel well, kicking the rim out even further right? I assume there will be clearance issues with the wheel well for that wide of a tire, but when searching for a wheel, do I want to find something close to 33+ or do I need to look for as far negative that I can?
Thank you for reading, and any feedback on this issue will be GREATLY appreciated.. thanks again.
-Mark

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,031 Posts
Are you really wanting a 15" wheel? Main question is due to none being made as a direct bolt up for our application. Meaning that you have to either get wheel spacers to change the bolt pattern or having the wheels redrilled. It seems that the costs associated with either method would be more than just purchasing wheels with a correct pattern and back spacing. Try these, also available in 16" and only 4.5" back spacing.
http://www.4wheelparts.com/WheelFin...False&df=0&dt=0&finish=0&cons=0&ab=False&pg=1
More information will generate more responses.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am going to have to get spacers regardless if I do a lift to get bigger tires, so I thought i'd go w a 15 and put on some Thornbirds or Swampers. Just was not sure about all the talk over offsets

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,031 Posts
The above wheels that I mentioned do not require spacers to clear the ball joint. Stock back spacing is somewhere around 6" and these are 4.5". There are others out there available, you just have to search. You will find using a spacer to adapt a wheel with a 0 offset will require a lot more trimming to the inner fender wells than a properly designed wheel due to the wheel arc when turning. Not to mention the caliper clearance and rotor cooling issues that may go hand in hand with using a smaller wheel. Your search function will best help you from here. Good luck.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
294 Posts
Negative is having the offset coming way inward like going towards the vehicle (inwards), so a -20 will make your wheel go farther outside the vehicle. As for a positive offset will make bring the wheel inward inside the fender.

So when using spacers remember not to go negative offset because that will make the wheel hang outside the truck more than likely. You want a positive offset with a wheel spacer.

Hopefully i didnt confuse you with inwards, outwards, negative and positive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.