Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle_xl
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This thread is an attempt to ween out some of the HID threads on the site. Seems that nobody (noobs mostly) want to search anymore and its quite annoying to browse the forums and have every other post be HID related.:hissy: So here we go i hope this answers most of the questions regarding HIDs.

COLOR TEMP: Color temperature is the way HIDs are catogorized. they range from 3000k (k=kelvin) to 30000k. Its a common misunderstanding that the higher the kelvin rating the brighter the HIDs. Not true. The higher you go the bluer the lights will be eventually becoming pink at about 30000k. The most common kits are 5000k to 8000k. I personally recommend 5000k if your looking to improve visibility AND looks (5000k has a very slight blue tint). 4000k to 6000k will give you the most light output on the road.

(please be aware that ANY image of HIDs may not be 100% accurate of color due to the way cameras reflect light)

INSTALLATION Insatallation is very straight forward. Follow the directions that came with your HID kit. Its PLUG AND PLAY (usually) if your not comfortable plugging in a few wires then have a shop do it. IT IS EASY!. Follow the link below to read a trailvoy how to on the install.
http://forums.trailvoy.com/articles.php?do=viewarticle&artid=104
Note that the only thing different for an Envoy is you dont have to remove the grille.

DRL KILLERS This step is a must. Your new HID ballast is designed to run at 100% (12v) power AT ALL TIMES!!! Your DRLs run at about 70% power (or approx 10v or less) You WILL kill your ballasts by running DRL and HIDs. You might not notice it at first but over the next few weeks you will start to see your DRLs ficker like a strobe light. Fortunately there are a few option out there.
First, for the people who enjoy buying a part that is straight froward and easy to install i recommend buying a DRL killer. They are available through either Tblazed (im pretty sure he is still selling them) or jetttstream (a trailvoy vendor). Here is the link to jettstreams store http://www.jetttstream.com/mm5/merch...egory_Code=JAT Both kits offer instructions and support if needed.
Second is the DIY method. There are a couple of them floating around. Both require you to access the BCM which involes removing the back seat. The first one is the DIY DRL killer. You can find a trailvoy how to here: http://forums.trailvoy.com/articles.php?do=viewarticle&artid=37.
The Second method is the capacitor mod. This allows you to run DRLs at full power and keep ALC. I use this with no problems at all. There really isnt a how to on this one but the following is a post from Tblazed on the subject:

What you are seeing is the PWM reduced brightness signal from the BCM to the low beam headlight driver module causing the HID flicker.

At the BCM under the back seat, locate the PINK-WHITE STRIPE wire in the harness that goes under the carpet (be sure you are not on the Red-White stripe wire). Cut the insulation on that wire and push it back to get to the conductor, not necessary to cut the wire. Place a 10 uFd/25V electyrolytic capacitor + to the wire, - to ground. This will make the 70% PWM signal used for DRL mode a full-ON signal and will turn on the lights fully.
LEGAL ISSUES I really dont think that there are any laws prohibit the use of HIDs, BUT there may be. A little bit of judgement goes a long way here. Dont aim your new HIDs so that theyre blinding oncoming traffic. Be smart and Law Enforcement for the most part SHOULD leave you alone (notice the SHOULD)

There you have it. I hope i covered all the basics. I take NO credit for any of the above information. Everything you see here was info from the web but mostly from the great trailvoy.com. If I missed anything please let me know and i will update the original post. :thx

COLOR CHANGE If your not happy with the color temp you choose, all you have to replace are the bulbs NOT the ballast. Bulbs can be kind of pricey depending on where you shop so choose wisely.

ALWAYS SUPPORT TRAILVOY VENDERS WHEN POSSIBLE!! :)

Oh, noobs please use the SEARCH button, your info is out there just look.

·
Banned
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_ls
7,988 Posts
A well-done thread.:thumbsup:

LEGAL ISSUES I really dont think that there are any laws prohibit the use of HIDs, BUT there may be. A little bit of judgement goes a long way here. Dont aim your new HIDs so that theyre blinding oncoming traffic. Be smart and Law Enforcement for the most part SHOULD leave you alone (notice the SHOULD)
The only thing I would add is to be smart with color selection. IMO, if you stay at 6000K or below you are far less likely to attract unwanted attention.:m2: Also, the higher the temperature the less light output you will get. You'll be able to see much better if you stay in the 4000K-6000K range.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle_xl
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
A well-done thread.:thumbsup:

The only thing I would add is to be smart with color selection. IMO, if you stay at 6000K or below you are far less likely to attract unwanted attention.:m2: Also, the higher the temperature the less light output you will get. You'll be able to see much better if you stay in the 4000K-6000K range.
Agreed, that's why I recommended the 5000k (I have 6000k) I meant to point out the light output but missed it. It will be added now thanks for the input. Im hoping it will become a sticky cuz its annoying to see so many threads on the same topic.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle_xl
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Excellent write up :thumbsup: great job on the links and research that went into this :hail:
Thank you. I recently put in a set of hids and discovered that all the info I just listed was on this site but it took two days to sift through it all cuz it was so scattered.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,674 Posts
you mentioned jetttsream but forgot to mention one of the all time supporters of this site 3bspec.com. before jettt stream came along they were our vendor for HID's heck i still use em bc i know with all the great stories and support they stand behind there product (not saying that jetttstream dosent) I think they should get a mention bc they were the original vendor and they do make all the relay kits and drl boxes just like jettstream does.....

thats just my :m2:

·
Registered
449 Posts
Awesome Thread.. Sticky worthy.

I suggest you add something about DRL Enablers too.
They work just like Killers, but instead of killing the DRLs,
they enable stock functionality for the DRLs.

V-led.com sells the enablers and I know Jetttstream also sells them.
I've been using one Since Jan/09 and no issues whatsoever.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle_xl
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you mentioned jetttsream but forgot to mention one of the all time supporters of this site 3bspec.com. before jettt stream came along they were our vendor for HID's heck i still use em bc i know with all the great stories and support they stand behind there product (not saying that jetttstream dosent) I think they should get a mention bc they were the original vendor and they do make all the relay kits and drl boxes just like jettstream does.....

thats just my :m2:
My appologies to 3bspec. I was unaware that they sold a DRL killer. When I have a chance will look at their web site and add the info as needed (im using trailvoy mobile right now). I didn't intentionally skip them just thought they only sold HID kits. I didn't mention any specific site for kits for the simple fact that there are just so many of them.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle_xl
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome Thread.. Sticky worthy.

I suggest you add something about DRL Enablers too.
They work just like Killers, but instead of killing the DRLs,
they enable stock functionality for the DRLs.

V-led.com sells the enablers and I know Jetttstream also sells them.
I've been using one Since Jan/09 and no issues whatsoever.
Will do, just won't be able to get to it today. Is V-led a site vendor? Ill check, I would rather promote vendors of the forum but now that I think of it I've never really looked at all the vendors

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
My appologies to 3bspec. I was unaware that they sold a DRL killer. When I have a chance will look at their web site and add the info as needed (im using trailvoy mobile right now). I didn't intentionally skip them just thought they only sold HID kits. I didn't mention any specific site for kits for the simple fact that there are just so many of them.
there webiste has the info also when i did a search for HID and DRL this link came up from there original post in 2008

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=48332&highlight=HID

·
Registered
217 Posts
great write up, I knew nothing about installing HIDs before and the only question it left me with is what is ALC?

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
Great write up man!! :thumbsup:......as a footnote as well if the guys are doing a projector mod and trying to go with kelvin rating.......i would suggest them to go with a higher rating as you lose the tinge(color) on the HID's......I had 6000k's for fogs and low's......it didn't match at all....so I went with 8000k's on the projectors and it matches more with the fogs.....just an fyi and again great write up!!

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle_xl
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
:woohoo:At trout:
Automatic
Lighting
Control
its the device that turns your headlights on when its dark and off when its not.

At Ricky81, I'm gonna be honest with you, I know absolutely nothing about projector retrofits other than they look bada$$ lol :). You just taught me something new thank you. I'm not going to add the info though because i wanted to gear this specifically at the HID conversion rather than a retrofit.

Im just glad i got the seal of approval from one of the pros! Thanks for the confidence boost Jetttstream!:woot:

P.S. slightly off topic but can i not edit a post the next day. Its now 1215 tues and it won't let me edit the original post

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
its all good.......I just wanted to add that on so people don't make the same mistake I did.....LOL.....

1 - 20 of 175 Posts