Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I'm a newbie. And of course the reason I joined is because unlike other people, I have to try to figure out the vehicle problems on my own. With little to no money and being a single parent, I have had to take "Be a mechanic yourself" 101. Any instruction I can get on this course will be highly appreciated. This is my first Chevy as well as my first truck( this is what I call it)lol.

Thanks in advance.:tiphat:woohoo:

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
There are about 20 things that can suppress the cruise control function, most of them error codes that also illuminate the "Service Engine Soon" light, but not always. Is your SES light on? You may have to take it to the dealer, who has the tech tool that can talk to the PCM (engine computer) and ask it why the cruise isn't working.

Any other maintenance history, or work done to the vehicle, or any other strange things you've noticed when the CC stopped working?

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle_xl
1,228 Posts
:tiphat welcome to the site there are tons of info on the site to help you with your troubles

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Yes, in the good old days, a cruise control was a separate electric or vacuum powered actuator that pulled on a chain and yanked the throttle cable just as your foot did.

Nowadays, it's all drive-by-wire electronic control, and the accel pedal isn't directly connected to anything but two sensors. And cruise control is a software function.

You may need to get a diagnostic visit at the dealer or a decent independent mechanic with a good scan tool that can ask the PCM why cruise has been suppressed. The data is retained especially for cases like yours.

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
Hi Olive, before running to the dealer, let's see what we can do

There are a number of fuses involved with this system, some may be used for other things, but let's list them.
Fuses under the hood:
#22, #12

Fuses in the rear seat panel:
#39, #34

As someone said, in an earlier post (and as you know), operating the brake turns the cruise off. Check the brake lights, to see if they are operating as they should (a quick switch test).

The other problem area, is the multi-function switch (the stick on the column). There are 3 contacts in this switch, one could be bad; or a piece of the switch could be broken. Do the slides and push button seem to work normally?

Check those, and let us know.

BTW, welcome to the site. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will check those fuses if I haven't already. The entire switch seems to be in working order as far as I know. I won't be able to check it tonight as it is rather dark outside. But first chance I get tomorrow, I will. I should be out here around the same time to let you know either way. Thanks once again.:woot::D

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
572 Posts
welcome Ms. Oil? :tiphat

Hope you figure out whats going on with that cc. The guys around here are very knowledgeable so don't get too discouraged with the truck.
Do you have the Chiltons manual for the truck? That was probably my best investment so far.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just got this truck not too long ago. It has been great running so far. And it has a limited two year warranty. I looked in the recall section and it said something about a powertrain, so I dunno. I will have to get this fixed because I live about an hour away from my job, and the cruise control saves me from getting speeding tickets. ( If ya know what I mean).:nono:

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
118 Posts
Welcome Double O,

You found the ultimate forum to help keep the repair costs at a minimum on you TB. See that you are taking advantage of the much neglected search feature. Bonus points to you. :thumbsup:

Oh, I see Camden area. I have a very,very good friend from that neck of the woods. Are you familiar with Rembert ??

Good Luck with Trailblazer.....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts