Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,

im getting 15.6 MPG, and i hear of people in the off road section with 32"tires and 2" lifts getting 18-19MPG, i dont drive over 60MPH and i take it easy , i have 46438 miles on the car, i have no clue when the last time the fuel filter was changed, i just changed the air filter and changed the oil at 44k miles,

could my problem lie with in the fuel filter? could it take that many MPG's away???

thanks for your help guys...

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2,667 Posts
hey guys,

im getting 15.6 MPG, and i hear of people in the off road section with 32"tires and 2" lifts getting 18-19MPG, i dont drive over 60MPH and i take it easy , i have 46438 miles on the car, i have no clue when the last time the fuel filter was changed, i just changed the air filter and changed the oil at 44k miles,

could my problem lie with in the fuel filter? could it take that many MPG's away???

Two questions for you? First, did you figure your MPG by hand or by the D.I.C.?
Second, how much do you believe these people? I mean seriously those of us who have been here a while have seen some "exaggerated" claims.

I have never been convinced that a bad fuel filter will cost you MPG. On another forum they were discussing how tests have shown that a dirty air filter does NOT cost you as much MPG as most people think.

That being said, the fuel filter is a cheap part and it wouldn't hurt to change it as a p.m. measure. But I seriously doubt you will see any major improvement.

Here is what the EPA thinks your TB will get for MPG.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm

Your original EPA estimate was 15 city and 20 freeway. They have now changed it to 14 city and 19 freeway.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow so i guess i was lied to lol.... ive calculated it by hand by filling up and driving till the light came on and filled up to full again and divided that # of gallons into # of miles and thats how i got 15.6, and half my driving is hwy amd other is city, so i guess im right on the nose of things...

but on the other hand where is the fuel filter located , wiki said between the doors on the frame, well thats where my transfer case is and behind that i sthe fuel tank, so where is the filter hidden??? easy to get to ?? or shop must change it ?

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
wow so i guess i was lied to lol.... ive calculated it by hand by filling up and driving till the light came on and filled up to full again and divided that # of gallons into # of miles and thats how i got 15.6, and half my driving is hwy amd other is city, so i guess im right on the nose of things...

but on the other hand where is the fuel filter located , wiki said between the doors on the frame, well thats where my transfer case is and behind that i sthe fuel tank, so where is the filter hidden??? easy to get to ?? or shop must change it ?

since yours is an 05 you have the filter in the gas tank and is part of the fuel pump.. which is a non-serviceable item unless you spend $400 on a new pump assembly

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
52 Posts
On your truck, it's in the tank. '05 was the first year that the filters were in the tank. So, it's not owner serviceable (unless you want to drop the tank).

Joe

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well that stupid, damn chevy ... they dont make anything easy on the 05 TB so how often do you change it ?(when the pump breaks?)

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
you dont change it.. unless the pump itself acts up.. no sense in throwing money at things that dont need replacing..

I assumed you have already cleaned the throttle body?? If not there is a sticky in the "Air Induction" subforum

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
havent cleaned the Throttle body, but it looks some what clean when you open the butterfly, but heck, with all the sand and mud i play in i should probly clean it out

·
Registered
2007 chevy
130 Posts
There those of us that do get better mileage than most for various reasons. My DIC reads 14.8 mpg and that is all city driving and you know what engine I have in my SS. On the HWY I've gotten as much as 19.7 doing 80 mph on a 800 mile trip. I also have the Aeroforcetech gauge to monitor. But then I also use something that I'm not supposed to reveal on THIS site. So if you are curious "pm" me. Oh, and by the way, my wife drives an 07 Monte Carlo SS 5.3 now with 330 hp and she gets 22.9 city all day long. EPA says its supposed to get 18 before their 08 changes and now they say 14???? :bonk: Its a little modded with CAI and JET MAF sensor and resonators deleted. She uses "it" too and does not drive lightly. :nono: This is it :chillpill:

hey guys,

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2,667 Posts
That being said, the fuel filter is a cheap part and it wouldn't hurt to change it as a p.m. measure. But I seriously doubt you will see any major improvement.
Oops, sorry. I missed that you had an 05 and the fuel filter is in the tank.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xl
24 Posts
for what it is worth: we have 52,000 miles on ours and was getting poor mileage. I changed the oxygen sensor and my mileage increased by 2mpg. The sensor was about $50 from Schucks. It never give me any indications that it was bad.

Just a thought...

Rob

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
1,380 Posts
You didn't say what gears you have in your rear diff. That would influence gas mileage significantly. I have 4.10s and since I drive mostly highway speeds (65-75) I average around 15 MPG.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
10 Posts
for what it is worth: we have 52,000 miles on ours and was getting poor mileage. I changed the oxygen sensor and my mileage increased by 2mpg. The sensor was about $50 from Schucks. It never give me any indications that it was bad.

Just a thought...

Rob
anyone else have any thoughts on changing the O2 sensor?

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,708 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts