Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

this is kinda making me mad, my fuel mileage is terriable... im getting 12-13 miles to the gallon im filling up at HESS gas station which is the better gas around here in orlando... i was getting 400 miles to a 12 gallon tank in my integra .. but any way im gettin 12-13 MPG :bonk::hissy::eek::mad:city and high way driving, i drive Slow, 40-45 city cruise control when able and 55-60 on the highway always on cruise control, at 55-60 its reving at 1800RPM and in city i never rev it past 2200RPM, my moms envoy ext gets 18 city and 21 highway, mine is stock tires and such.... so anyone have any idea on what my problem may be?? i have 39K miles on it and its 4x4(and no its not engaged its in 2wd)

i just bought this car from the dealer 2 weeks ago
new airfilter and new fluids (or they were supposed to put new fluids in )

Thanks guys

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
43 Posts
Poor fuel, not me!

:tiphatOnly suggestion is a question. Do you have the Trail Blazer roar? My milage improved about 2 mpg after the fan clutch was replaced for roar.

That said, I have never had the poor milage quoted by so many on this forum. Worst has been 18 avg; currently its reading 20.5. I only reset the computer infrequently 2000-5000 mile increments, so the city/highway is a true average. I llive in the fringe of St Louis metro; lots of city conjestion freeway driving.

Recently drove back from Bowling Green KY area with two sea kayaks on roof. Maintained 65 and still got 20mpg.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no i dont have the TB roar.... anyother ideas,

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
28 Posts
I also just bought mine TB about 6 weeks ago and have been getting between 12 and 13.5 on each tank of gas ive used so far. I calculate it by hand after each fill up, so i'm not just relying on the DIC, althought its only been off by about .2-.5 each time. I've only used regular 87 gas from either Sunoco or Hess. I do about 70% city and 30% highway driving. So far about one day a week, i've had to use the 4wd with all the snow we've been getting up here. They do a pretty good job of clearing the roads off, so I havent have to use it more than 1 day at a time. Now, i wasnt expecting to get 18-20 mpg with all the city driving i do, but i was at least hoping for 15-16. I've been really easy on the gas, slow take-offs, cruise-control whenever possible, I'd rather not have to be so easy and be able to drive a little faster but i'm worried that my mpg's will just drop even lower, to 10 -12?

Is this just what I should be expecting? Maybe I'll get better milage in the better wheather? :eek:

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
i'm running at 38-40 PSI for tire pressure.

you can start by doing the basics:

change spark plugs
air filter
fuel filter (if you can change it)
oxygen sensors (HELPED ME OUT A LOT)
fuel injector cleaning (techron seems to help if you want to run it in the tank)
running synthetic oil (Mobil1 5w-30)
clean TB and disconnect battery
check if your engine is running at the right temp (~210 degrees)

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
fuel injector cleaning
clean TB and disconnect battery
check if your engine is running at the right temp (~210 degrees)
He only has 39K miles on it...these are the ones I'd be trying first.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just ran out and checked and they are only at about 33 psi. Guess i should have thought of that. What should should i have them at?

I have 37k on mine. I ran a bottle of techron through on my 3rd fill-up.

·
Registered
2003 olds bravada
350 Posts
usually tire pressure should be about 32-35 psi...I personally like to keep it a 35 with a larger vehicle..in some thing smaller about 32.

Many people like to keep it higher than that, and you do get marginally better fuel economy but increased center wear in the tires.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
usually tire pressure should be about 32-35 psi...I personally like to keep it a 35 with a larger vehicle..in some thing smaller about 32.

Many people like to keep it higher than that, and you do get marginally better fuel economy but increased center wear in the tires.
:iagree:, plus with that high pressure, you do lose some traction. I prefer 35 PSI all around.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
207 Posts
welcome to the club mine 04 tb 4x4 gets 14mpg 50% highway and %50 city. i have 22in rims (heavy) no roof rack (less drag?) pcm 4 less tune, cold air intake. i have new plugs new fuel filter synthetic oil......:bonk:....... i guess some trucks get good milage some dont all you can do is ask why me? :duh:

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
O2 SENSOR!!!! i just changed mine out (before cat) and drove on $5.00 worth of gas for 2 whole days! made a huge difference in how much gas is used and in performance! i'll get exact numbers since i just filled up the tank since the change.

here's how it was before:

10 MPG all city 13 if i tried hard

barely got 180 miles on a tank full.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
my temp gauge is right at 210F and gets there really fast from cold.....is there a better way to get a temp ???

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
142 Posts
Tire pressure isn't going to cut your gas milage in half, and your truck only has 3x,xxx miles on it (lucky!! I'm at 99,400 -but I still avarge 21mpg)

Try disconecting the battery for 30-45min and see if that clears anything. you might be due for your first throttle body cleaning as well.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
what a chore it is getting the damn spark plug out ... its soo high tech LOL... the plugs have normal wear on them , the throttle body looks really clean but havent open the butter fly yet .... thats my next thing ... then im replacing my fuel injectors or cleaning if i can find where they are located anyone know??

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
what a chore it is getting the damn spark plug out ... its soo high tech LOL... the plugs have normal wear on them , the throttle body looks really clean but havent open the butter fly yet .... thats my next thing ... then im replacing my fuel injectors or cleaning if i can find where they are located anyone know??
fuel injectors are about $100/piece brand new. its a PITA to get out.. the fuel rail sits underneath the intake manifold. to get to the injectors, you would have to take apart the intake manifold.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
damn this Inline 6, they make everything soo difficult to take apart and to get to ... i guess its meant to make to GM techs rich... thanks guys,

TB didnt look that bad inside, so im guessing its the injectors... i disconnected the battery for an hour ... so lets see if taht helps

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm going to have to wait a few months until the weather gets a littler better to try some of these things out. Its just too cold and right now, theres too much snow to try anything other than the simple suggestions you guys had. Thanks though :thumbsup:

As for the tires; the psi should be at 35? is this what everyone agrees on?

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
32-35 PSI is the normal range.

i wouldn't go to the fuel injectors just yet. make sure all your coil packs are giving your spark plugs a nice sharp spark! it might be a bad coil pack!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts