Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If the outside temperature is above 50ish(ish being 3 or 4 degrees), the engine temperature guage goes up to around the half way mark (210?), however if the outside temp is below 50ish, then the engine temp guage only gets up to around the quarter mark.

I thought that it was a problem with the thermostat, except the guage does not fluctuate when I am driving. It steadly goes up to one of the two "normal" marks. Even when it was 0 outside, it would go up to the quarter mark and my heater would blow nice hot air.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? and does anyone have an idea as to what is wrong? I am assuming that the temperature gauge sensor is defective, but then again, I am just assuming.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Since we know the gauge is programmed to lie to us, you need a scangauge or something to tell you what the PCM is seeing from the sensor. Only then can you definitely blame the sensor or thermostat. I think, depending on your mileage, that it's more likely to be the thermostat, just judging by the relative lack of reports here about sensors.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
607 Posts
Has yours always done that, or just started? Could be calibrated wrong from the factory, but as Roadie said, they are just "gauges". 7 years on a thermostat is very good!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It has always done that (since I bought it). I bought it used.

The reason I don't think it is the thermostat is because it doesn't fluctuate when I drive even in single digit temps, it gets up to it's "normal" and stays there... Any time I have had a vehicle with a bad thermostat, the temp would always fluctuate. If I was stopped, it would go up, if I was driving, it would go down.

I don't want to go through the hassle of replacing the thermostat if I don't have too...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I had my water pump replaced today at the dealership (they were closer to me then my house was) and ever since then, my temp guage seems to be correct. Not sure why or how or if the water pump could cause some kind of problem, but since it was replaced, the temp guage "seems" more accurate (even with it being in the 20's and snowing).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts