Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle_xl
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did what Roadie suggested, took my 03 envoy down to the dealer. They found the TCCM had failed and the transfer case had some metal shavings. I'm curious of two things: which one would cause the other "the TCCM failing first then the case or the case and then the TCCM"? And how hard is it to changeout a transfer case? Granted we have a lot of miles on the envoy, 130,000 (a couple of trips up and down the ALCAN) but I thought it would have lasted longer than this!!
Dealer wants 2200 bucks to make everything right. I found a guy parting out some envoy parts (350 bucks for the TC with 50,000 miles on it) and I can order the tccm of of parts4chevy.com.
We have another vehicle we can use in the mean time, so I'm kinda looking to do it, mainly for the cost savings but also a challenge!! Although this could be out of range of my ability!?!?

ss

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Only you know how good a wrench you are.

The TCCM is electronic, and runs diagnostics on itself and the actuator and encoder motor. Nothing they or the TC can do can harm the TCCM. So it's an unrelated, but coincidental failure.

If you buy used one from Ebay, it should work when you plug it in. Slight chance of the wrong gear ratio being in its memory, but it should work. If you buy a virgin one from a GM supplier, the dealer will have to flash it to configure it properly. Your choice, and might depend on whether the dealer treats you fairly for such a simple job.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle_xl
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tccm

Thanks for the info Roadie, I thought a new TCCM was a plug and play, but I'll get one off of ebay. I'm hoping that junk yard still has some tc's for sale, otherwise I'll be on the hunt around town. I would get one off of ebay but because I live in Alaska, they hammer us on the shipping charges, especially anything with some weight to it!!

Thanks again Roadie.

ss

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle_xl
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It gets worse

I picked up my Envoy from the dealer, after they diagnosed it with a failed TCCM and shavings in the transfer case. I get two miles down the road, stop at a red light, get ready to go and NO GO!! Transmission will not work, I'm stuck in traffic, so I jump out and start pushing it to the side of the road. Luckily several people helped me. Got it towed to my house. Anyway, we called the dealer back and asked what the heck did you do, they said they took a fluid sample and that's it. So I'm going to see how much fluid is in there today and go from there.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Sounds like their sample was 100% of the fluid in there. Best case, you get a free transfer case if they gave it back to you in undrivable condition when all you paid them for was a diagnosis. Take pictures of what you drain out in case you need them in court.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts