Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my SW off-road header kit installed on my TBSS a couple of days ago. All I can say is WOW, this thing finally has the sound I think everyone who has done any exhaust changes has been looking for. Idle is very deep and sounds great. Normal driving is a bit louder than before, but WOT and this thing screams. May not be for everyone as a daily driver, but to each his own. I'll try and post vids in a couple of days as it is raining here today.

Next I just want to tip my hat to Vector Motorsports who did the install for this. They are definitely a top class shop, but what would you expect with someone that has the resources of Katech racing behind them. They have the latest equipment and fabrficating capabilities and are working on the best of the best in the automotive racing world. They pulled down a factory C6R race car from the hoist when I was in there......need I say any more:crazy: ....Chris, Kirk, Dan.....you guys rock and yes you definitely have my business in the future.....Chris, I hope I am at the top of the list for one of your beta IAT mods:D

·
Registered
234 Posts
hey did u just change the headers and left the same pipe with the magnaflow and resinator delete... or u changed the hole pipe too ? how much did u pay for the headers ?

·
Registered
2006 chevy
178 Posts
A couple friends and I installed my headers, O/R Y, and LMF catback yesterday. Had fitment issues with the Y pipe. Long day.. When I finally started it up at the end of the night it was all worth it.. I'll post about it later.. Its friggin raining in CT/MA here too..

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey did u just change the headers and left the same pipe with the magnaflow and resinator delete... or u changed the hole pipe too ? how much did u pay for the headers ?
Yep, I left the factory cat-back with my magnaflow muffler and deleted resonator. Probably only losing a few hp vs a larger all mandrel cat-back. I will swap the cat back to a SW system after I am making more serious hp (ie heads/cam and forced induction). Headers & y-pipe (no cats) are a bit under a thousand bucks from vendors on here.

·
Registered
2006 chevy
849 Posts
Yep, I left the factory cat-back with my magnaflow muffler and deleted resonator. Probably only losing a few hp vs a larger all mandrel cat-back. I will swap the cat back to a SW system after I am making more serious hp (ie heads/cam and forced induction). Headers & y-pipe (no cats) are a bit under a thousand bucks from vendors on here.
Hey Ben

Did you have them tune / dynotune it, too? Or not yet? Curious how the tuned SOTP meter now feels...

·
Registered
2006 chevy
178 Posts
Even with them untuned its a noticable increase in power. I will try to have mine dyno'd on Wednesday. The stock catback is pretty restrictive on the part where it goes over the axle. Its like a half circle; a D shape. But then again, I drove the car for about a day with just the LMF catback and I couldn't feel much of a difference. I also did not get a chance to hammer on it too much because of the ****ty on/off weather. Definately picked up on sound.. And lost a good amount of weight too!!

So.. whats next.. :undecided

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Ben

Did you have them tune / dynotune it, too? Or not yet? Curious how the tuned SOTP meter now feels...
Kirk threw in their CAI/header tune for now. I will be going back this week or next to actually put on the CAI and have it dyno tuned. I'll post the numbers once this is done. It does definitely pulls stronger now, and oddly enough it seems the headers have smoothed it out some what, hard to explain, but maybe it's the loss of backpressure:confused:

As Blades mentioned, there is also a considerable weight savings, as my factory parts in the header box weigh a ton!!!:eek: I'm hoping when I go back to Vector for the dyno tune that Chris' IAT mod will be ready to go, he was busy "tinkering" when I picked up the truck on Friday:yes:

·
Registered
2006 chevy
178 Posts
Want to weigh the stock headers and Y-pipe? :D I don't have anything to weigh it with.. How about just the resonator? I have the shipping weight for the SW headers and O/R Y.. Off the top of my head, I think its 41lbs.

Either way, a good amount of weight savings. If someone could chime in on exactly how much any part of the stock exhaust system weighs, maybe we can get a better idea.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I could weigh my resonator and factory manifolds/cats. I don't have the factory y-piping as it was cut during removal. I'll bring the stuff to work tomorrow and throw it on the scale.

·
Registered
2006 chevy
178 Posts
Thanks a lot!! I'm going to be posting a video soon of my full exhaust..

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
is kirk going to be giving you a tune that is different than the normal CAI/header tune...
Basically they will just be fine tuning the standard CAI/header tune. Every vehicle is unique and has very minor differences in it's performance and operation, so think of it as 5 X Distilled vodka versus the regular double or triple distilled, both are good, just the little extra improvement costs you $$$ (ie dyno tune):)

...i think this makes sense:crazy:

·
Registered
2006 chevy
178 Posts
Ok.. going off the tracking pages for my catback (41lbs) and my headers/Y (47.4lbs).. The headers/Y had a ton of wrapping and other stuff. Plus the big box.. Easily 4-5lbs extra weight. The catback.. probably 2-3 lbs extra.. A box and some bubble wrap cant really weigh all that much.

Safe to say the SW catless single outlet weighs 80lbs. It'd be nice to have SW chime in here. I hate guesstimating.. even if its a few lbs. It seems like I saved a lot more than 35lbs! No cats, no resonator.. headers definately weigh less than the stock manifolds.

Thanks a bunch Darkside!

·
Registered
2006 chevy
278 Posts
It'd be nice to have SW chime in here. I hate guesstimating.. even if its a few lbs. It seems like I saved a lot more than 35lbs! No cats, no resonator.. headers definately weigh less than the stock manifolds.

Thanks a bunch Darkside!
Talking with Al, he thought that the true dual system setup weighed less than the stock setup. Not bad considering the extra piping.:yes: Plus losing the spare and hitch setup.:D

·
Banned
211 Posts
I plan on doing the long tube headers and cat-back shortly as well. I will make sure to weigh all the parts for an exact amount when I start the work... lowering weight in this truck is just as good as making more power. :)

Blades, how hard was the header install? Do you have a writeup on it? Do they just go right in or did you have to remove other other pieces? Did you get any check engine lights before it was tuned?

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts