Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Air box is exactly the same as a regular production envoy/trailblazer. The difference is the front inlet in the center of the headlight and thats it. Hell it even takes the same filter ;)

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_denali
9,380 Posts
GTPprix said:
Air box is exactly the same as a regular production envoy/trailblazer. The difference is the front inlet in the center of the headlight and thats it. Hell it even takes the same filter ;)
The pics look just like the air box and filter in my '05 5.3L

What about putting a K&N E-1009 filter element on and leaving the air box off? :confused: :undecided

·
Registered
2006 chevy
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Envoy Fan said:
The pics look just like the air box and filter in my '05 5.3L

What about putting a K&N E-1009 filter element on and leaving the air box off? :confused: :undecided
It would suck quite a bit of hot engine air when the vehicle is not in motion, this would cause the IAT scaler to pull quite a bit of timing at idle...

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_denali
9,380 Posts
GTPprix said:
It would suck quite a bit of hot engine air when the vehicle is not in motion, this would cause the IAT scaler to pull quite a bit of timing at idle...
I knew there was a reason for that cover :duh:

But isn't this what some of the open K&N and other filter systems do?

·
Registered
2006 chevy
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup some do, some also seal against the hood which is ok on some applications. We've been dealing with this alot lately on the 2005 GTO. It has a VERY aggressive IAT scaler and about 95% of the cold air intakes on the market will actually cause the car to LOSE power with the stock calibration. It's crazy :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
GTPprix said:
Yup some do, some also seal against the hood which is ok on some applications. We've been dealing with this alot lately on the 2005 GTO. It has a VERY aggressive IAT scaler and about 95% of the cold air intakes on the market will actually cause the car to LOSE power with the stock calibration. It's crazy :)
Good info, thanks!

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
2,217 Posts
ludicrist , how are they blocking off the hot engine bay air? Would like a few pics showing the baffling or whatever they are doing. I see in one pic a seal along the front top edge of the filter box and back edge of the top molding. EXCELLENT truck BTW! If I could, I would.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
2,217 Posts
GTPprix said:
I remember reading this a while back in Sept 2003 Techlink, regarding just that... which made me even more leery of some of the aftermarket intakes being sold. I think the following can apply to any vehicle.

Aftermarket Air Cleaner

Owners of some 2003 Hummer H2s
may experience lack or power, transmission
will not upshift, or an erratic shift or
stumble.
TIP: Check for an aftermarket air
cleaner installed on the vehicle.
Some aftermarket air cleaners pull air
directly from the underhood area of the
vehicle at a higher temperature than the
OEM airbox. The increase in temperature
can cause erroneous readings from the
MAF sensor, causing the above concerns.
If an aftermarket air cleaner is discovered,
reinstall the OEM equipment
and re-evaluate.

·
Registered
2006 chevy
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks JMan :) Next week I'll probably start working on fabbing up an intake for this thing if I get some time. I'll just replace all the tubing/resonators with some stainless powdercoated tubing and stick a larger K&N in the stock airbox since it seems to work rather well.

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
Good pics, but what is that boxy-looking-thingy in the intake pics? Near the filter? Definately dont have one of those on my 02 with the 4.2L I6, but do the 5.3L V8s have them too?

·
Banned
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_lt
5,895 Posts
thats the equivalent of the rear chamber on the top of the I6 airbox, its just its own seperate entity. whatever that thing is there for (??)

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
8,770 Posts
How loud will the engine sound wihout the resonator. Is it noticeable by everyone or just to us coz we're used to the engine sound?

·
Registered
2006 chevy
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It'll growl alot, especially after I nuke the resonator at the filter, remove the neck down area and the other resonator near the throttle body. Should sound pretty mean ;)

·
Registered
220 Posts
cool, thanks for the pics...

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
Always wondered what it was for, now I know.

It shouldnt have any resonator anyway, its a TrailBlazer SS for Goodnes sake. The SS stands for Super Sport, not Silent Sport. It needs a mean growl to it.

Besides, the little ricer next to you will be scared when you tap the throttle at the light so bad he will crap his pants.:laugh:

·
Registered
2006 chevy
349 Posts
GTPprix said:
Thanks JMan :) Next week I'll probably start working on fabbing up an intake for this thing if I get some time. I'll just replace all the tubing/resonators with some stainless powdercoated tubing and stick a larger K&N in the stock airbox since it seems to work rather well.
This is the CAI I have on my Tahoe. It's amazing the amount of crap that comes off when you install one of these things. As for noise, all I get is slight sucking sound (he says in his best Ross Pierrot voice) when I hit the go peddle.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts