Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_denali
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really confused here. Some people have said that the 4wd version of the TBSS is full time 4wd, meaning you can never switch out of 4wd. Others have said there is a 2wd selector on the dash that lets you put it into 2wd only. So, which is it? Can a 4wd TBSS do a burnout at all or no? I would love being able to keep it in RWD most of the time, but working in construction I need the 4wd as I often travel on unpaved roads and have gotten stuck.

Also, is the TBSS rear limited slip or is it open? When the 2wd guys burn out will it only burn out one wheel or will both spin?

Sorry if this was all answered somewhere before, but I've searched a lot of threads and got a lot of conflicting info.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
3,716 Posts
FattyTBEXT said:
You mean full time all wheel drive. Ever so slight a difference.
You are thinking of "automatic 4wd" or "A4WD" like the regular TBs have.

Actually, full time 4 wheel drive is also known as AWD. Same thing.

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_denali
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, so what was everyone talking about having a 2wd mode?:confused:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
2,903 Posts
4 wheel drive and AWD are very similar, though not exactly the same. All wheel drive (AWD) is full time 4WD without 4WD Low.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
3,716 Posts
FattyTBEXT said:
4 wheel drive and AWD are very similar, though not exactly the same. All wheel drive (AWD) is full time 4WD without 4WD Low.
exactally, i was just saying that full time 4wd and AWD are the same.

You are correct that AWD and 4WD are different.

·
Registered
2006 chevy
616 Posts
The TBSS has a full Eaton LSD (posi) in the rear, the clutch type with 400 lb springs. This goes for both 2WD and AWD versions.

AWD and 4WD are different, but suffice it to say that if you have an AWD TBSS you are stuck with AWD all the time, no 2WD for you.

Course, the AWD guys will argue against my wording (i.e. 'stuck') because they believe that AWD is superior. And in many situations it is.

·
Registered
2006 chevy
59 Posts
ghoster said:
My wife has one too. Goofy little thing. Damn thing does get amazing traction. :rotfl:
Dude...We don't need to know about how much traction your wife gets.

Unless you have pics.

:D

·
Registered
281 Posts
awd is not 4wd...

your truck has only awd no buttons to push its that way all the time!
if you had 4wd when you turn your front wheels tight you'll notice your steering gets harder and noises will start from your front end slowing the vehicle down. the tbss awd doesnt do that~!:eek:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts