Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just clicks once when I turn the key and nothing....Lights work, radio works, power windows will roll up and down so that lead me to believe it's not the battery. Also, battery meter on dash goes to 14 just like normal. No weird spiking of the speedometer or tach when turning the key to the "On" position. Tried boosting it and still no luck. Just happened all of a sudden. Left home and went to pick up some food. Came out with food and it started. Stopped at a gas station and went in to get something to drink. Came out and it wouldn't start. I've read that it may be an ignition switch problem and I think it may be that or the starter. Not sure how you really tell. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2006 chevy
2,079 Posts
When my Ignition switch went on my TBSS, I had no crank nothing. I would get lights and radio. but no Crank, the engine wouldn't even attempt to start. I would try the ignition switch.. It is an easy fix and cheap part..

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
62 Posts
do you get a "TICK" sound when you hit the ignition? if you do then its probably your starter....but if you turn the get no tick and only lights it your ignition switch....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, from researching it on the 'net it seems that they've had a lot of problems with those. I didn't think it was the battery or alternator since both are relatively new and only a few months old and plus everything electrical was working without losing any power. And not starting after boosting it pretty much cemented that. Will give the ignition switch a try.

Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
do you get a "TICK" sound when you hit the ignition? if you do then its probably your starter....but if you turn the get no tick and only lights it your ignition switch....
Yeah...it "clicks" once and nothing happens. It's not a repeating click like it's trying to turn over. Just once click when I turn the key and nothing happens but the lights come on and radio comes on.

It's just odd because it hasn't shown any signs of trouble starting and then just wouldn't start at all yesterday.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
You can try thumping the starter with a hammer. Not too hard ( I told a friend to try this. He smacked it so hard he broke the starter case. It was a Ford truck.) Some times it works but, if that is the problem, start watching for sales on starters.:m2:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts