Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

I am pretty sure I have the common ignition switch issue on my '02 TB that has 90k miles (battery is good, starter is good).

I have read many posts about this issue and referred particularly to this one by jac113.

I have removed the covers under the steering wheel (the large cover in front of your knees when you sit in the driver's seat), but I cannot find the ignition switch. Can anyone help me? Here are some photos I have taken:
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,373 Posts
You still have to remove the shrouding on the steering colum near the wheel its up there
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, I had to look into the dictionnary to find out wha the "shrouding" is... :eek: Sorry, I am French!

So I removed this (see picture) but still cannot find anything like an ignition switch. Did I remove the wrong "shrouding"?
 

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
Joined
·
694 Posts
Can you give us some more definitive symptoms of what it is doing/acting like. Are you sure it is not just a bad solenoid in the starter? Is it making any noises when you try to start it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can you give us some more definitive symptoms of what it is doing/acting like. Are you sure it is not just a bad solenoid in the starter? Is it making any noises when you try to start it?
My symptoms:

The TB will start perfectly fine 95% of the time, but the other 5%, nothing happens when I turn the key to the last position (start). Every electrical equipment work, but the starter just won't make a noise. When I have the problem, trying 50 times will sometimes allow a success. When ot doesn't work, there is nothing at all (just the sound of what I suppose to be the fuel pump) and when it works it is perfectly smooth and direct. It can go from one situation to the other in a 5 minute-interval, and this is what makes me think it is not the starter. Also, I have checked my battery and it is OK (I already had tricky battery problems before with a battery in a 4x4 vehicle so I know how insidious it can be when it is "almost" charged but not quite fully).
 

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
Joined
·
694 Posts
From what you describe I have to agree that it sounds like a bad ignition. Good luck and lets us know how it turns out.:yes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, I have purchased a new ignition switch and installed it. I aligned the teeth to the same position as the old switch, but then it wouldn't start, although I could get the accessory position.

So I removed the switch and try other teeth positions. At first I could start the engine, but the ignition remained on even when I got the key out and locked the doors.

After a couple of other unsuccessful tries, I now have the key that remains locked and I cannot get it out.

Can someone help me please ? We had planned to leave for vacations towing a caravan and if I have to find a solution quickly...
 

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
Joined
·
694 Posts
You might try a reset. Take the battery cable off and leave it off for about 20 mins then reattach it. This should reset the PCM adn it may fix your problem. The PCM may be thinking that someone is trying to steel the vehicle and is locking off the steering wheel and ignition switch.
 

·
Banned
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
Joined
·
771 Posts
OK, I have purchased a new ignition switch and installed it. I aligned the teeth to the same position as the old switch, but then it wouldn't start, although I could get the accessory position.

So I removed the switch and try other teeth positions. At first I could start the engine, but the ignition remained on even when I got the key out and locked the doors.

After a couple of other unsuccessful tries, I now have the key that remains locked and I cannot get it out.

Can someone help me please ? We had planned to leave for vacations towing a caravan and if I have to find a solution quickly...
There is a way to release the key by pushing a pin into a hole somewhere there. I've read it before, search, I'll see if I can find it, seeing you sound so desperate :D. I know the feeling, my fan clutch went one week before my vacation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK I finally worked it out. There is a button that allows to manually release the key when there is no power.

Regarding the teeth alignment problem, the looseness in the key cylinder gear created a slight disalignment. I moved the gear just one tooth and now everything's fine.

Thanks for your help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
I'm new to the site so a friendly hello to everyone. :)


I'm having the same exact issue as JIM 951. My 02TB starts 95% of the time. Took it to the mechanic, nothing shows up on the computer. He checked the cable for the gear shift, starter, battery, etc... According to the forum, this is a common problem. The answers on here are either a relay or an ignition switch. My brother in law called to order the ignition switch from the dealer
($38.00 his cost) and the guy at the parts department said "oh she probably needs the plate behind the switch" ($70.00) Which one do I need and which realy is everyone talking about? :confused: I love my TB, but I really am not comfortable with the 5% part.
Thanks,
Cindy
 

·
Banned
2004 gmc
Joined
·
26,181 Posts
Never heard of a "plate behind the switch". And the switch itself is available for $20-25 at the aftermarket parts stores in case you're suspicious of the dealer trying to cram parts down your shopping bag.

I'd say it's 95% chance it's the switch, 3% the relay, and 2% the starter solenoid itself (built into the starter).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have no idea what this "plate behind the switch" is, and I don't see why it would need to be changed.

However, I would like to draw your attention on one point:

I did not tell the end of the story. After replacing my switch, I thought everythong would be OK but the day after, I got the same problem again. Someone advised me to knock on the starter while turning the ignition on and it started. So it wasn't the ignition switch that was bad in the end, but the starter solenoid. So don't forget to check this too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
I'm sure the mechanic said he checked the selenoid, but I'll ask him again. It seems the dealer is talking about replacing some sensor in the ignition as well as the tumblers. :confused:
 

·
Banned
2004 gmc
Joined
·
26,181 Posts
This mechanic the vehicle is at is NOT the dealer, right? So the dealer's parts guy is diagnosing it with less information than we have at trailvoy? Just making sure. :dielaugh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
No, the mechanic is not at the dealer, and yes, the parts guy is basically going by what they usually sell for this problem.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top