Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
3 Posts
I totally agree. At 64yrs young I have had my share of cars starting with a 49 Olds with a V8. what a car. Drove like a tank (no power steering then). 64 Chevy Impalla SS one of few with the antenna in the front not in the back (oh if I only knew then what it would be worth.) Any how, My blazer was a god send and it died an untimely death and that begs the question why. Was it something wrong with the truck? Could it have been prevented? all these things go thru the mind. If only 3 or 4 people had a fire that communicate here, how many went unreported. Just wondering:confused:

·
Banned
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
767 Posts
I hope they let you know the cause of it, I for one am interested. If it was a ruptured transmission fluid line like the OP.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
24 Posts
Smoking under 2002 TB

Just to add to this tread. My wife pulled into the driveway today coming back from food shopping and I noticed alot of smoke coming from under the TB, I immediately told my wife to shut off the truck since she didn't even realize what was happening... After about 20 seconds the smoke settled down and was able to look around where it the smoke was coming from and noticed transmission fluid dripping down from the transmission cooler lines. Looks like rust formed on the top cooler line right next to the catalytic converter and was shooting transmission fluid all over it which was causing the smoke cloud. Since the cat was very hot due to the driving, it was smoking up real bad and probably would've went on fire if the truck was still going. I'm real worried that GM would design such a flaw in these trucks. Since the truck was in NJ for most of it's life I'm assuming this was caused by the road salt in the winter and the intense heat situated right next to the cat. I'll call the dealer tomorrow and explain my issue and concern but one thing is for sure. GM should and take ownership and recall these cheap metal transmission lines for free since I'm reading this is a known issue and i'm sure its happening more and more now as our TB's get older. My 2002TB has 92K on it and not many issues other than this scary one.

Well that's the story....

·
Registered
3 Posts
It happened to me a month ago driving down I 65 heard a rattle the fire coming from driver front wheel well. Dripping fire just as you described. Then entire truck engulfed in flames before the fire men arrived

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey everyone. This past weekend my TB started on fire as I was driving 65mph down the Toll Road. I glanced back into my rearview mirror after entering a construction zone and all I could see was smoke through my back window. Pulled over and before I took of running I looked under the vehicle and saw a puddle of fluid on fire! There was more fluid from inside the engine dripping dripping into the puddle. The fluid that was dripping down was on fire too. Then I ran. Its a 2005 4.2 with 39,375 miles on it. My $2,000 estimate showed that is was generated by a chassis wire harness grounding out. This in turn melted the seal to a tranmission line causing transmission fluid to squirt everywhere and fueling the fire.

I made a call to GM the following day and they are going to investigate my vehicle next week. GM is taking my case very severely and they have maintained constant daily contact with me this past week. I've been having a ton of problems with my TB the past few months. I've had my powersteering pump replaced, Idler pulley (twice), Alternator, front inner and outer differential seals and pinion seals (they were leaking), driver side power window module and fuel level sensor. I was also getting ready to bring it back to the shop because it still whines badly!

Thankfully a good samaritan came and put the fire out before my whole car went up. My estimate includes replacing the right motor mount and bracket, abs wire harness/rear chassis harness, right side 02 sensor, tranmission fluid fill, a/c and heater evap tube, transmission line replacement.

Is this common or is there someone out there who wants me dead?!?!

Attachments

61 - 67 of 67 Posts