Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2009 chevy
3,344 Posts
Hey get them to replace the whole thing:yes: thats what they did with my buddys Z06 vette when it caught fire and burned to the ground, it had a bad fuel rail:yes:

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
10,730 Posts
Dang that's crazy! As another person already stated, you should have just let it burn.

If I was you, I wouldn't push for a new engine, I would push for a new vehicle! Tell them you don't want it back because it will never be the same. I would also tell them you would like to settle straight up and not involve lawyers but you will if need be. Also mention you have the local media on speed dial.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xl
1,356 Posts
Dang that's crazy! As another person already stated, you should have just let it burn.

If I was you, I wouldn't push for a new engine, I would push for a new vehicle! Tell them you don't want it back because it will never be the same. I would also tell them you would like to settle straight up and not involve lawyers but you will if need be. Also mention you have the local media on speed dial.
:iagree: Also tell them you dont feel safe driving that one .. but you loved the truck and gladly drive anohter.. just not that one .. The local media on speed dial is a nice touch .. also mention the wonder of the internet .. it can do them good if they take care of you .. Good luck and please keep us posted.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Never seen this before, but like the majority here, I would deffinately push for a replacement over a repair.

·
Registered
10,730 Posts
I love my TB and I would hate to have something happen to it but I would let it burn. I know it just wouldn't ever be the same. I feel the same away about it being stolen. I would hope the thief wrecks it or drives it in the river because I wouldn't want it back. :no:

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
For those that say they would 'just let it burn' - what are you going to do when the FD shows up? You could possibly be held responsible for any damage to the roadway from your burning car if you let it burn, or even any environmental damage due to the runoff.

I certainly wouldn't risk getting injured to put mine out.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_denali
9,380 Posts
For those that say they would 'just let it burn' - what are you going to do when the FD shows up? You could possibly be held responsible for any damage to the roadway from your burning car if you let it burn, or even any environmental damage due to the runoff.

I certainly wouldn't risk getting injured to put mine out.
Just a question here. I'm not a professional (or even amateur) fire fighter. I don't think I want to get close to a burning vehicle. Don't some of them explode (or is that only on TV :laugh:) Isn't that what insurance is also for, roadway damage or environmental damages?

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
316 Posts
Glad to hear that you are safe......:thumbsup:

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_sle
728 Posts
I would be trying to get a new truck too, but even it was a small fire where they could fix something small and replace and repaint a fender, the smell alone would not go away, melted or burnt rubber, plastic, and wires smell alot. I worked at Pro-Tech Auctions, in Flint, MI and we had types of burned or torched vehicles, and the smell is horrible. some times the metal gets weak too from the heat if it had been on fire for a longer period of time.

I would be trying to get a new one.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
301 Posts
1) I am not a firefigher....so why in hell would I get close to a burning vehicle to put out the flames. What am I going to do....put it out with my coat or use my freezing breath like Superman????

2) The safest thing would be to get a far away from that vehicle as possible for fear of an explosion. As someone said...that is what your insurance is for...to pay any property damage. I know mine paid for the damage my accident caused.

3) There is no way in hell the fire department is going to expect me to try to put out that fire. When I had my accident....the moment someone smelled gas the first thing the officer on the scene did was to instruct the people helping to get back from the vehicle. It's absolutely absurd that I would be expected to put out the flames. Who would cover that if I got severly burned due to my own lack of judgement???

I have mechanic friends who say that it is better to let it burn because who knows how much wiring dammage there will be, you will never get the smell of burned plastic out of the vehicle, and what else could have been damaged that isn't apparent.

Definately go for another vehicle. The amount it is going to cost to fix what is burned, melted and damaged I can't see them fixing it. It should be written off. I'm just glad everyone is safe.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Just a question here. I'm not a professional (or even amateur) fire fighter. I don't think I want to get close to a burning vehicle. Don't some of them explode (or is that only on TV :laugh:) Isn't that what insurance is also for, roadway damage or environmental damages?
Yeah, some do 'explode.' Usually the tires go once the air has been heated and expands to the point the tire can't hold it anymore. The magnesium in the steering column makes for a great fireworks show once you put some water on it. While I've never personally seen a gas tank blow, I've seen them leak a river of fire as the gasoline runs off.

Engine compartment fires are generally more often saved than interior fires. Once the interior catches it's pretty much a goner.

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_sle
728 Posts
we all know that gas isnt going to explode, its the fumes that explode, specially under pressure.

·
Premium Member
2003 isuzu ascender
730 Posts
Taken at face value, GM appears to be doing the noble thing by stepping up and taking responsibility without anybody asking/forcing them to. That fact makes me suspicious as Hell! There has to be something larger looming beneath the obvious. It appears to me that they are attempting to hide or cover-up an underlying factor by assuming ownership of the problem. Once they get the vehicle behind closed doors, they can then go to work on erasing and replacing the real cause which, if found out could have possibly cost them lots and lots of $$, i.e., lawsuit, class-action suit, etc.

The other thing you HAVE to consider is the long-term effects from the fire and the things that have been indirectly adversely affected by the fire - melted wiring harnesses, damaged base-coat in the distal areas of the truck, ventilation system carcinogens from the smoke damage, and many more. Like many here have said, you have lost much more than what's on the surface. You will never be able to get in trade or in $$ what it would have been worth had it not caught fire. And if GM is indeed taking true ownership of the problem that caused the fire, then they must take full responsibility and replace your vehicle. You really should get an attorney on this one, because it is your case to win and if you take what GM is offering you at face value, you will be the one that loses in the long run.

Just my :m2:.

Good luck and God bless.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_denali
9,380 Posts
Taken at face value, GM appears to be doing the noble thing by stepping up and taking responsibility without anybody asking/forcing them to. That fact makes me suspicious as Hell! There has to be something larger looming beneath the obvious. It appears to me that they are attempting to hide or cover-up an underlying factor by assuming ownership of the problem. Once they get the vehicle behind closed doors, they can then go to work on erasing and replacing the real cause which, if found out could have possibly cost them lots and lots of $$, i.e., lawsuit, class-action suit, etc.
:undecided So GM is dammed if they do or dammed if they don't. :crazy:

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_sle
728 Posts
its not like there is a 360 platform truck catching fire everyday, so far I have seen three on this site, one of which was the dumbass at the oil change place failing to do this job.
we all should be glad no one got hurt or killed, we all have insurance for that reason its an accident, Im glad GM is doing the right thing and replacing his truck, also Im glad there looking into it to see if there is a design problem.
if there is a problem, Im sure they will solve it.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_sle
42 Posts
Sorry to hear about the fire, glad GM is taking responsibility, and DON'T YOU DARE TAKE THE BURNER BACK! As stated in several previous post it will never be the same. And I can tell you that as so as you get the burner back with the new parts you are going to feel like you got the short end of the stick because you are going to notice every little bump, ping, clunk, and ching in the burner and there will be nothing you can do about it cause you already closed the deal with GM.

Think about it this way: Leave them with the burner and ride a new TrailVoy with a WARRANTY, no miles, and none of the issues you mentioned prior to the fire. And if you are not feeling the truck sell it and get something else.

BUT NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO........keep us posted on this. It is like watching a Soap Opera "As GM Turns" - and I can't wait to hear what happens next. :woot:

·
Registered
8 Posts
2003 Trailblazer Fire

I had a 03 TB until Friday 9/12/08. I started it to run the AC a few min. before I brought the kids out. When I came out it was smoking under the hood. I ran out turned the engine off and black smoke started pouring out from under the hood. By the time the fire dept got there it was totally engulfed in flames. I will try and attach picts tomorrow.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts